Pre match thread

roonst83

6 hours ago, handsworthvilla said:

Can anyone recommend a decent pub near the ground to take the Mrs before the game?

Its my first game at VP in a year and I don't think my southern girlfriend would feel too comfortable in many of my old haunts. Anywhere a bit more mature near VP? 

I quite like the Aston Tavern, it's decked out nicely and there's a courtyard area outside you can congregate in. It's near the ground, just down from the church so less than ten min walk. It's not cheap though, £3 to get in and about £4 a pint! 

I should add; I took my missus there last time we went and she really liked it. But she is a northerner so may not be a good barometer for you :D

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Bear in mind it's a 30 minute walk. 

I've walked from Bartons Arms to Villa Park in about 20 mins (not trying to be pedantic) - it's all good for the steps though either way. If you've got a fitbit then that'll go nicely to the 10,000 steps a day. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, villanwesty88 said:

I've walked from Bartons Arms to Villa Park in about 20 mins (not trying to be pedantic) - it's all good for the steps though either way. If you've got a fitbit then that'll go nicely to the 10,000 steps a day. 

I estimated time based on the fact he is talking his missus :D

• Like 1

On 9/5/2016 at 19:26, It's Your Round said:

I quite like the Aston Tavern, it's decked out nicely and there's a courtyard area outside you can congregate in. It's near the ground, just down from the church so less than ten min walk. It's not cheap though, £3 to get in and about £4 a pint! 

I should add; I took my missus there last time we went and she really liked it. But she is a northerner so may not be a good barometer for you :D

Thanks mate. Just took a look online and seems like it will do the trick, a bit closer than the Barton Arms as well. And to be fair I've been in London for 6 years so I'm not used to seeing any change from a fiver for a pint! 

Taking my 8 and 10 year old nephews to their first live game (lower holte, because of you louts at the back:trollface:), I'm hoping they don't become glory hunters as they don't really "support" anyone yet, so a nice 3 or 4 nil win will do very nicely indeed! :clap:

Edited by Hoof hearted
They don't support anyone yet because my brother-in-law is an egg chasing nerd FYI!
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, handsworthvilla said:

Thanks mate. Just took a look online and seems like it will do the trick, a bit closer than the Barton Arms as well. And to be fair I've been in London for 6 years so I'm not used to seeing any change from a fiver for a pint! 

It gets **** rammed in there mate. Just an FYI.