Mourinho for Villa

Amo69

Who would you prefer as Villa manager?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer as Villa manager?

• Jose 'The Special One' Mourinho
    • Martin O'Neill

Lets face it - it'll never happen but in a hypethetical world.

Put it into a boxing term here and it is the difference between say

Frank Bruno and Mohammed Ali.

Everyone loved Frank Bruno and he could definately box a bit, everyone knew he could be successful and he acheieved his goals.

Ali was simply the best

(MON is Frank Bruno by the way)

I have added a poll.

For me Mourinho no question, has has shown he can win titles in a far more competitive laegue than Scotland and also in European competitions.

spot on Ali.

proved he can do it both domestically and in europe.

with money and without.

a class manager.

MON is a very good manager but does not have the track record of a mourinho as yet.

MON needs to prove himself capable at the top level in a competetive domestic league like the premiership for starters. Let's hope he proves that with us.

There's no doubt that Mourinho is a better manager IMO. Would I swap him for MON? Not a chance in hell.

I just don't think Mourinho would suit Villa. He's too big for us. Not too big for us to attract but his style wouldn't suit us. I think MON is almost perfect for us, Mourinho is not. Mourinho these days is a manager for the biggest clubs atm, not a club on the up.

And hiring Mourinho now would be like throwing the start of this season and last season in the ocean and even if they haven't been as good as many has wanted it would be very bad for Villa. It would be two steps backwards at once. The question if this happened would be how fast we could take these two steps forward again. And I doubt it would go fast.

I have just tipped the balance back in favour of MON. Jose is a formiddable manager, but I was happy when MON arrived and I am happy to see where he takes us. I like the honesty and the integrity that the club exudes, MON is a big part of that.

I have added a poll.

For me Mourinho no question, has has shown he can win titles in a far more competitive laegue than Scotland and also in European competitions.

spot on Ali.

proved he can do it both domestically and in europe.

He did, but in terms of European success, both Celtic (under MON) and Villa2 have gone to the UEFA Cup Final in recent seasons, and Milwall got to the FA Cup Final a couple of years back. The Portugese League is not exactly world renowned, is it...

with money and without.

Portugese League = SPL. Newcastle were regularly reaching the semis of the UEFA CUP until a couple of years ago and their turnover of managers has been comical. Neither they, Villa2 nor Celtic had the finance of Chelsea. Nor Liverpool in 2005. Nor Arsenal in 2006. They (He and Ranieri) have spent near on £500,000,000 in the last four years. We are not going to spend that, but we play in a league with teams that now do.

a class manager.

I disagree. He has had a successful career so far for his age, but he does not have the midas touch. Chelsea have repeatedly failed in Europe under Mourinho, with Arsenal and Liverpool passing them with ease.

MON is a very good manager but does not have the track record of a mourinho as yet.

He doesn't, but as he said when he arrived, he is on a bigger stage now than he has been at any stage of his career. He has taken relatively insignificant clubs to unprecedented successes. He has taken us from (last season) almost certain relegation to looking like a team that will challege anyone on the day. Beating Chelsea was not a blip, it was a sign that we have improved by more than we are giving him credit for.

For ****'s sake, when was the last time we beat a top four club?

MON needs to prove himself capable at the top level in a competetive domestic league like the premiership for starters. Let's hope he proves that with us.

I hate to say it, but I cannot see us getting 85 points this season or next season. I am being realistic. The Premiership is often touted as the best domestic league in the world.

Give the bloke a chance. It's the least he deserves. I trust MON and I believe in the five year plan. The last thing I would want to see at the Villa is a team of mercenaries, egotistical self-centred rocket polishers and journeymen, waiting in the wings to blame a manager for their own shortcomings on the pitch.

Support MON 100%.

At Porto Mourinho not only won the title, but the UEFA cup and the champion's league. Ok the portugese league is not great, but neither is the scottish league. MON may have taken them to the UEFA cup final, but Celtic did not progress out of the group stages of the CL under MON.

In the PL Mourinho has won the league cup, FA cup and 2 leqgue titles in 3 years, and made Chelsea into a force to be reckoned with. MON has only won the league cup with leicester, and one of them was a final against Tranmere.

Really there is no comparsion when it comes to ability, Mourinho definitely the most successful manager. And he bought success to Porto without spending millions ( European success).

I honestly don't think Jose is THAT good. He would attract players and has a huge reputation, but he was basically given a ridiculous transfer kitty at a time when no-one else could compete and that's how he won his titles. His team played boring football, and once everyone else caught up in the transfer market, he bought people like boulahrouz (spelling?), sheva, pizzarro, sidwell etc, none of which are really that good.

Basically, if you are desperate for a goal in the last half an hour so ytou send John Terry up front, something's wrong.

I'd have MON any day

Let's put it like this:

Roman, high profile owner- Mourinho, high profile manager

Randy, low profile owner- MON, low profile manager

I don't think Mourinho and Lerner would work well together.

i would completely disagree that MON is a low profile manager.

Allegedly, one of the reasons he didn't get the england job is that he was too forthright with his opinions.

if you want low profile, look for the likes of McClown or Curbishley.

MON is not IMO low profile.

At Porto Mourinho not only won the title, but the UEFA cup and the champion's league. Ok the portugese league is not great, but neither is the scottish league. MON may have taken them to the UEFA cup final, but Celtic did not progress out of the group stages of the CL under MON.

In the PL Mourinho has won the league cup, FA cup and 2 leqgue titles in 3 years, and made Chelsea into a force to be reckoned with. MON has only won the league cup with leicester, and one of them was a final against Tranmere.

Really there is no comparsion when it comes to ability, Mourinho definitely the most successful manager. And he bought success to Porto without spending millions ( European success).

excellent analaysis there Ali.

that means i don't have to respond to MMfy now, as you've done it for me. :P

Let's put it like this:

Allegedly, one of the reasons he didn't get the england job is that he was too forthright with his opinions.

Ok, maybe chose the wrong words, but with low profile I meant that he likes to hold a low profile while Mourinho does not. See what I mean? The way talk to the press, the things they say, etc. In that I think MON is a low profile manager. He likes to stay calm.

TRIPLE post. What the hell is wrong with me???

split personality

maybe like Ali Larter in Heroes? :lol:

If I was ANYONE from heroes I'd be ecstatic (actually not that guy that just melted things, he was lame!)

I honestly don't think Jose is THAT good. He would attract players and has a huge reputation, but he was basically given a ridiculous transfer kitty at a time when no-one else could compete and that's how he won his titles. His team played boring football, and once everyone else caught up in the transfer market, he bought people like boulahrouz (spelling?), sheva, pizzarro, sidwell etc, none of which are really that good.

Basically, if you are desperate for a goal in the last half an hour so ytou send John Terry up front, something's wrong.

I'd have MON any day

I don't think Jose set the prices in the transfer market, that was Abramovich's downfall, paying top dollar for players then selling clubs take the piss when it comes to selling to Chelsea.

I also don't think most of the transfers were his suggestion, certainly not after the first season. He bascially took Ranierir's team, p;us Drogba, and won the league at a canter. Broke a fair few records too, including points total, clean sheets. He also hasn't lost a domestic home game in 7 years :shock:

As for the tactics of sending John Terry up front, its a bit naive to suggest that was his only tactic, you could argue, MON's last season was putting Berger in midfield?

I doubt if Mourinho wanted plsyers like Shevchenk, Boularhouz, Pizzaro, Sidwell, his Porto team wasn't made up of star players (Deco etc only became stars afterwards).

Let's put it like this:

Ok, maybe chose the wrong words, but with low profile I meant that he likes to hold a low profile while Mourinho does not. See what I mean? The way talk to the press, the things they say, etc. In that I think MON is a low profile manager. He likes to stay calm.

I think Mourinho acts this way to try to take the limelight and pressure off the players and to an extent it worked. The amount of money he has to spend is almost a hindrance to him IMO. The team is more important to him then individuals but naturally the owner didn't see it this way and wanted stars, i.e Sheva, Ballack.

As for the tactics of sending John Terry up front, its a bit naive to suggest that was his only tactic, you could argue, MON's last season was putting Berger in midfield?

I agree with this. Mourinho is a tactical genius and his preparation for games is second to non. He has a plan for every possible scenario for every game so if at times you see John Terry up front that this a last resort and at times it has worked. He also isnt scared to make bold changes when things aren't working out.

Â