Pre match thread

roonst83

Really could do with getting three points here. As always, every game is tough in the Championship, especially away from home. We have been unlucky to not get more from recent games but there will hopefully be a game, like against Rotherham, where we take our chances. Having a full week to prepare could be vital and hopefully gives opportunity for Jedinak to work with his midfield as well as Gestede chance to recover from his injury. Dr Xia has spoken quite openly about trying to secure a no.9 and a full back this week so a couple of new players could be brought in as well as a couple departing.

Bristol City will make it difficult, of course, but we need to get an away win sooner rather than later so it doesn't become our Achilles heel. Hoping this Saturday will be the day. 

I only think Amavi will play if Jedinak starts.

I don't think you can play with such an attacking fullback if you don't actually have someone in midfield who can drop in and shield the defence. Westwood and Gardner are both pants at this.

Hopefully either Gestede is fit or we have a new striker in place because we'll lose if Kozak plays. He's worse than my nan.

I'm going. I haven't seen us score a goal away from home in 18 months. All I want is to see us score. 

Hopefully we'll see Jedi and Tish in, would also like to see Amavi getting a start.  Who knows what will happen up front.

This is when we need to start getting results and not letting the gap get too big.  Hopefully things will start to click between the new boys and we can get a bit more clinical.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

Hopefully we'll see Jedi and Tish in, would also like to see Amavi getting a start.  Who knows what will happen up front.

This is when we need to start getting results and not letting the gap get too big.  Hopefully things will start to click between the new boys and we can get a bit more clinical.  

Still not convinced on Amavi, looks a total liability in defence. Would probably wait until we have a home game before starting him

Gollini

Bacuna Elphick Chester Cissokho

Gardner Jedinak Westwood

Grealish

McCormack Ayew

Get the fullbacks attacking, the midfielders protecting, Westwood collecting the ball and distributing it, Grealish being the link and the freedom to roam and put the front 2 into good positions. 

Especially considering how Bristol City play, I think it's important to pack out the midfield and win the possession battle, try and crowd out any runs from the forwards. Tammy and Kodjia both look dangerous so it's important to not give them space to run into or any space to shoot inside the box. 

Wouldn't be disappointed with a draw but really feel like it would be good to win this one and kick forward with the season, get as much momentum as possible going into September. 

21 hours ago, thunderball said:

Capable of a shock, but we should win this and i think we will, i just hope Gestede is fit and/or we get our new no9 in.

Amavi, new RB and Jedinak to play.

Having not won away for a year I don't think it would be a shock if a team above us in the table managed to beat us. I think we will get a point though. 2-2. Would like to see Jedinak and Tshibola start.

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Having not won away for a year I don't think it would be a shock if a team above us in the table managed to beat us. I think we will get a point though. 2-2. Would like to see Jedinak and Tshibola start.

The table is completely irrelevant at this point, 4 games in. 

• Like 4

No worries about Bristol City. Another mediocre fizzy pop team. Jedinak to feature and hopefully Tshibola if fit. Gestede and McCormack up front with Ayew and Grealish providing some flair in midfield. Hopefully Amavi comes in at left back to replace Cissokho and the rest of the defence as per the last game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The table is completely irrelevant at this point, 4 games in. 

OK.  But I still don't think it would be a shock if Bristol City won at home, as they often do, against a side without an away win in over a year. That's what I was trying to say. The table, even at this stage, can be an indicator of form.

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The same Bristol City that won 7/23 home games last year?

Do you really 6 have to question everything I say? We haven't won away in a year. Their home form is way better than away form. Therefore, it wouldn't be a shock if they won. Jeepers. 

6 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Do you really 6 have to question everything I say? We haven't won away in a year. Their home form is way better than away form. Therefore, it wouldn't be a shock if they won. Jeepers. 

I'm sorry, but you can't post nonsense, then complain when you're called out on it. It doesn't work like that.

• Like 2

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I'm sorry, but you can't post nonsense, then complain when you're called out on it. It doesn't work like that.

Nonsense??? So you believe it WOULD be a shock if we lost away to Bristol City? After not winning away in a year. I don't know if we will or not but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if we did. Stop picking on my posts with rubbish like that please.

11 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Nonsense??? So you believe it WOULD be a shock if we lost away to Bristol City? After not winning away in a year. I don't know if we will or not but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if we did. Stop picking on my posts with rubbish like that please.

Hah.

Well first things first. I specifically called your statement "Bristol City often win at home" nonsense. I even quoted specifically that bit. As 7 wins out of 23 last season isn't 'often' by any stretch of the imagination. So there we go, calling 7/23 'often' is clearly nonsense and was treated as such.

Now that's cleared up, I will actually address this specifically even though it has nothing to do with my earlier posts.

11 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Nonsense??? So you believe it WOULD be a shock if we lost away to Bristol City? 

Yes. And most of the league would think so too. They barely stayed up last year. We're one of the favourites to go up.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Hah.

Well first things first. I specifically called your statement "Bristol City often win at home" nonsense. I even quoted specifically that bit. As 7 wins out of 23 last season isn't 'often' by any stretch of the imagination. So there we go, calling 7/23 'often' is clearly nonsense and was treated as such.

Now that's cleared up, I will actually address this specifically.

Yes. And most of the league would think so too. They barely stayed up last year. We're one of the favourites to go up.

Please just stop attacking everything I say. Our away form is atrocious. Losing away is never a shock for us. Now please can we leave it there?

I'm not attacking everything you say :lol:

You made a post. I told you why I thought that post was wrong using facts and stats. You resorted to 'stop attacking me'.

I'll leave it, but don't post things if you're unwilling to reply without resorting to 'I'm being attacked'. You're not. I just don't agree with your opinion.

• Like 2