The Championship thread

TrentVilla

have to say Derby have been on a terrific run under The Wolly with the Brolly. 7 wins out the last 9 and now in 5th place and looking strong.

Just shows the importance of winning games as opposed to not losing and getting draws.

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

have to say Derby have been on a terrific run under The Wolly with the Brolly. 7 wins out the last 9 and now in 5th place and looking strong.

Just shows the importance of winning games as opposed to not losing and getting draws.

Can't see it lasting. Not a manager I'd want anywhere near Villa Park and I expect things to tail off for them after Christmas. Think they will finish top 8 though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Can't see it lasting. Not a manager I'd want anywhere near Villa Park and I expect things to tail off for them after Christmas. Think they will finish top 8 though.

Last time he was at Derby they were going great guns until they collapsed 

This league is shite.  The amount of the people who seem to think it's better than the top leagues in Europe's countries is unbelievable.  Some people actually think this league is stronger than the French league ffs lol. 

Could you imagine PSG,  Lyon,  Nice,  Marseille,  Monoco,  Rennes all in this league? :lol:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It would probably be in top 10 in terms of quality in Europe. Russia, Belgium, Switzerland and Netherlands are all high ranked European league with poor quality in them except top teams

I'll be perfectly honest and say i've never really watched those leagues, whereas I have watched Ligue1 and Serie A. If the Championship is genuinely better than the leagues you've mentioned then they must be terrible as the Championship is pretty awful too. 

Top 10 club ranking per country. Newcastle wouldn't be automatically promoted in a league with Fenerbahce, Galatasaray and Besiktas.

• 1 Spain
  • 2 Germany
  • 3 England
  • 4 Italy
  • 5 France
  • 6 Portugal
  • 7 Russia
  • 8 Ukraine
  • 9 Belgium
  • 10 Turkey

2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Top 10 club ranking per country. Newcastle wouldn't be automatically promoted in a league with Fenerbahce, Galatasaray and Besiktas.

• 1 Spain
  • 2 Germany
  • 3 England
  • 4 Italy
  • 5 France
  • 6 Portugal
  • 7 Russia
  • 8 Ukraine
  • 9 Belgium
  • 10 Turkey

maybe not promoted but would probably be challenging for Europe

• 2 weeks later...

Huddersfield only getting a draw at home to Blackburn today.

I'm not sad about that :)

We need the teams above us to slip up as often as possible.

Edited by sne

On 12/12/2016 at 08:02, PieFacE said:

This league is shite.  The amount of the people who seem to think it's better than the top leagues in Europe's countries is unbelievable.  Some people actually think this league is stronger than the French league ffs lol. 

Could you imagine PSG,  Lyon,  Nice,  Marseille,  Monoco,  Rennes all in this league? :lol:

I think people just find it more entertaining, obviously the ability and technique isn't at the best standard, that's why these players aren't at premier league clubs, but I think if you're a nuetral looking in, it's very entertaining! 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2017 at 08:31, Tommo_b said:

I think people just find it more entertaining, obviously the ability and technique isn't at the best standard, that's why these players aren't at premier league clubs, but I think if you're a nuetral looking in, it's very entertaining! 

I think it's been the opposite! Almost every game is turgid and dreadful to watch in the Championship. On the other hand, Ligue 1 has had some thrilling sides this season. Monaco, Nice, Lyon, PSG (at times), and even Rennes are a great watch. 

Anyhow, on topic, the Championship is shite and I hope we get promoted.

On 13/12/2016 at 19:36, NoelVilla said:

• 1 Spain
  • 2 Germany
  • 3 England
  • 4 Italy
  • 5 France
  • 6 Portugal
  • 7 Russia
  • 8 Ukraine
  • 9 Belgium
  • 10 Turkey

They'd look pretty comfortable against anything from Belgium and the majority of teams from France, Portugal, Russia, Ukraine and Turkey, though.

The "problem" with a lot of European leagues is that you have 2/3/4 strong teams and then a whole host of poor teams who lose their best players to the top 4 leagues.  Player retention in England, Germany, Spain and Italy (I assume) will be way ahead of the others.

Â