Jump to content
TrentVilla

The Championship thread

Recommended Posts

Boro have really fallen over the last decade. Used to be an established prem club then appointed Southgate and he relegated Boro. Start of next season they started well but then they sacked Southgate in the October and appointed Strachan and he was a disaster. Then bobbed around mid table until they appointed Aitor Karanka. Was effective but they were so boring to watch and hardly seemed to score in premier league.

Since then they seem to have lacked identity which appointing likes of Warnock and Pulis indicate. Going from Woodgate and bringing through youth to Warnock keeping them up with loads of old players is like us going from wanting Roberto Martinez to then appointing McLeish.

Think what I'm trying to say from this is Steve Gibson just living on past glories now? Always held up as one of the best owners in football but seems to have made a hell of a lot of mistakes in last decade.

Their youth academy seems to have gone wrong. Can't think of anyone major they've produced since 2006 when Downing, Adam Johnson and James Morrison all came through at the same time. In last decade Sunderland have produced two England internationals in Pickford and Henderson but appears to me Boro are pretty poor at that now.

Was randomly watching 96/97 season review of them the other day and you forget the ambition they showed in that time, Ravanelli, Emerson and Juninho all signed. Still went down but signed Paul Merson from Arsenal when he was a regular. Then a few years later they were signing Ugo, Southgate and Boateng from us. Eventually won a league cup in 2004 and reached europa league final in 2006. All downhill since.

Edited by VillaChris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Was randomly watching 96/97 season review of them the other day and you forget the ambition they showed in that time, Ravanelli, Emerson and Juninho all signed. Still went down but signed Paul Merson from Arsenal when he was a regular. Then a few years later they were signing Ugo, Southgate and Boateng from us. Eventually won a league cup in 2004 and reached europa league final in 2006. All downhill since.

They've always massively underperformed. Seemed to be a retirement home for ex stars... Gazza, Mendieta, Ince, etc

Relegated with Juninho, Ravanelli and Emerson. 

They just couldn't get it right. Gibson threw at lot of money at it but didn't get a great deal back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Xela said:

They've always massively underperformed. Seemed to be a retirement home for ex stars... Gazza, Mendieta, Ince, etc

Relegated with Juninho, Ravanelli and Emerson. 

They just couldn't get it right. Gibson threw at lot of money at it but didn't get a great deal back

My cousin used to stay at his hotel/country house when over from Dublin on business. Suffice to say it was a top notch place with amazing spa facilities and swanky rooms. 

The geezer is dripping in money but even he must be getting frustrated ploughing so much cash in to boro and seeing sod all return on the pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Derby player Andre Wisdom has been stabbed and robbed. In stable condition so hopefully not too bad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/06/2020 at 16:32, VillaChris said:

Boro have really fallen over the last decade. Used to be an established prem club then appointed Southgate and he relegated Boro. Start of next season they started well but then they sacked Southgate in the October and appointed Strachan and he was a disaster. Then bobbed around mid table until they appointed Aitor Karanka. Was effective but they were so boring to watch and hardly seemed to score in premier league.

Since then they seem to have lacked identity which appointing likes of Warnock and Pulis indicate. Going from Woodgate and bringing through youth to Warnock keeping them up with loads of old players is like us going from wanting Roberto Martinez to then appointing McLeish.

Think what I'm trying to say from this is Steve Gibson just living on past glories now? Always held up as one of the best owners in football but seems to have made a hell of a lot of mistakes in last decade.

Their youth academy seems to have gone wrong. Can't think of anyone major they've produced since 2006 when Downing, Adam Johnson and James Morrison all came through at the same time. In last decade Sunderland have produced two England internationals in Pickford and Henderson but appears to me Boro are pretty poor at that now.

Was randomly watching 96/97 season review of them the other day and you forget the ambition they showed in that time, Ravanelli, Emerson and Juninho all signed. Still went down but signed Paul Merson from Arsenal when he was a regular. Then a few years later they were signing Ugo, Southgate and Boateng from us. Eventually won a league cup in 2004 and reached europa league final in 2006. All downhill since.

Boro will be up there next season under warnock. He is excellent at championship  level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even when we were down with Fulham they always got close to the top two and then would throw it away. Lot of bottle missing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the Leeds/Luton game. and Luton just went ahead on a lightning counter attack, very good finish. The bottom of the champ is almost the exact opposite of the PL: most of the teams getting some results since the restart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stoke suddenly gone awful again. In massive danger of going down again seeing as Luton and Barnsley are regularly picking up points now.

Wigan doing an impression of us but they've just left it too late to get in play offs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Butland is a dreadful dreadful keeper, i think i would prefer Nyland which says it all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Choosing between butland and nyland is like saying do prefer constipation or explosive diarrhoea.  Both are shit!

But thank god we missed out on butland. Dreadful keeper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True but Nyland cost about 2 million, Butland would have cost about 15 million. 

Can join Hart in the finished goalkeepers club 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zatman said:

True but Nyland cost about 2 million, Butland would have cost about 15 million. 

Can join Hart in the finished goalkeepers club 

Agreed.

All shite group

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/06/2020 at 16:32, VillaChris said:

Boro have really fallen over the last decade. Used to be an established prem club then appointed Southgate and he relegated Boro. Start of next season they started well but then they sacked Southgate in the October and appointed Strachan and he was a disaster. Then bobbed around mid table until they appointed Aitor Karanka. Was effective but they were so boring to watch and hardly seemed to score in premier league.

Since then they seem to have lacked identity which appointing likes of Warnock and Pulis indicate. Going from Woodgate and bringing through youth to Warnock keeping them up with loads of old players is like us going from wanting Roberto Martinez to then appointing McLeish.

Think what I'm trying to say from this is Steve Gibson just living on past glories now? Always held up as one of the best owners in football but seems to have made a hell of a lot of mistakes in last decade.

Their youth academy seems to have gone wrong. Can't think of anyone major they've produced since 2006 when Downing, Adam Johnson and James Morrison all came through at the same time. In last decade Sunderland have produced two England internationals in Pickford and Henderson but appears to me Boro are pretty poor at that now.

Was randomly watching 96/97 season review of them the other day and you forget the ambition they showed in that time, Ravanelli, Emerson and Juninho all signed. Still went down but signed Paul Merson from Arsenal when he was a regular. Then a few years later they were signing Ugo, Southgate and Boateng from us. Eventually won a league cup in 2004 and reached europa league final in 2006. All downhill since.

Boro have far less support than either Newcastle or Sunderland. They had a good decade or so because Gibson is (was?) a good chairman.  Being the third club in the most economically stagnant and  distant part of the country can't help in terms of sponsorship, recruitment etc.  Sunderland and Boro cities  are projected to lose population in the next 20 years- though this may all change in the post covid/brexit world. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

 

Wigan doing an impression of us but they've just left it too late to get in play offs.

Just gone into administration as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Just gone into administration as well

Tip of the iceberg here I'm afraid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to lose 12 points so would go bottom although perhaps in these times there may be adjustment to punishment. Have to think they'd argue not being allowed to play with matchday income could knock things down to 8-10 points.

Could let likes of Stoke and Hull off the hook although Barnsley and Luton have really picked up form and have a few winnable games left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â