The Championship thread

TrentVilla

• 2 weeks later...

Cameron Jerome starts every game for Derby. 2 goals in 30 this season, make that 4 in 30 after tonight

Gary Rowett will definite be sacked in the coming weeks if dont make playoffs

Edited by Zatman

If derby get 6th and cardiff 3rd that will be a really interesting tie, derby will be full of beans after the result tonight 

Same goes for us and our games vs derby and millwall, if we lose and turn up at their place again 2 weeks later the crowd will be well up for it

11b19fb86688292a3e0b34db1d378d05.png

A visual of the points distribution table showing the clutch of clubs still scrapping over 5th and 6th place with 2 games remaining.  Toit loik a toiger!

Just now, Czechlad said:

I think Rowett has done a good job with Derby. Their squad really isn't that great. They have a few decent players, but I don't think they should be in a playoff spot. 

Defensively they're nothing to write home about but likes of Davies, Joe Ledley and Huddlestone were all signed in the summer to add experience and are certainly top 6 standard championship players.

Add in Vydra with his 20 + goals and Tom Lawrence and that's a decent strikeforce with Weimann, Nugent and Jerome as options.

Derby squad is similar to Boro for me, probably not good enough for top 2 but disaster if they miss out on play offs.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Spend a lot of money especially on wages. Were definite a automatic contender at start of season and have failed badly

Complete overreaction. I imagine Derby were no better than 5th favourites for the title at the start of the season and are currently 6th. “Failed badly” ffs. 

The failures this season have been Sheff Wed, Reading, Hull and Sunderland. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Derby were 4/1 4th favourites to go up. Would say he is underachieving with wages they paying since it always aimed at Bruce

BetVictor had them 7th favourites at 12/1 before the season started (04/08/17) behind (in order) Boro, Flum, Villa, Wednesday, Wolves & Norwich.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Derby were 4/1 4th favourites to go up. Would say he is underachieving with wages they paying since it always aimed at Bruce

Possibly for promotion overall, but not for the title (although I'm not sure how this differs tbh).

People who aim wages at Bruce as a measure of underachievement are somewhat narrow-minded.

Edited by bobzy

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Possibly for promotion overall, but not for the title (although I'm not sure how this differs tbh).

People who aim wages at Bruce as a measure of underachievement are somewhat narrow-minded.

Really? I think it a pretty fair measure.

Trouble with Derby is they always tail off after xmas in this league (similar to Arsenal).

Done it last three seasons and looked like it was happening again until the excellent second half v Cardiff.

Rowett asked for more experience in the summer to stop it happening again and he got tried and tested players like Huddlestone, Ledley and Davies so in theory they should've been much better prepared than in other years to avoid it happening.

Next Sunday should be interesting for the neutral.

Derby (6th) v Barnsley (21st)

Preston (7th) v Burton (22nd)

Bolton (23rd)v Forest (17th)

Small Heath (20th) v Fulham (3rd)

Cardiff (2nd) v Reading (19th)

Four of these five fixtures have both teams needing to get something for various reasons. Bolton play a rather indifferent Forest side needing a win and also a couple of results to go their way elsewhere.

Â