The Championship thread

TrentVilla

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

So ignoring the bookie odds...

are the top two most likely going to be Derby and Middlesboro?

Sheff Weds will surely challenge again. Look at their strikeforce ffs...Stephen Fletcher, Gary Hooper, Forresteri, Sam Winnall and Jordon Rhodes. Must be a 10m wage bill just for those five.

Given how strongly Fulham finished the season I can see them having another good season if they keep their squad together.

Don't see Reading or Leeds being as good this year.

Thing with the championship is there's always teams who finish bottom half who then challenge for promotion. Let's hope that team is us and not our friends from down the road.

On 6/18/2017 at 16:45, VillaChris said:

Sheff Weds will surely challenge again. Look at their strikeforce ffs...Stephen Fletcher, Gary Hooper, Forresteri, Sam Winnall and Jordon Rhodes. Must be a 10m wage bill just for those five.

Given how strongly Fulham finished the season I can see them having another good season if they keep their squad together.

Don't see Reading or Leeds being as good this year.

Thing with the championship is there's always teams who finish bottom half who then challenge for promotion. Let's hope that team is us and not our friends from down the road.

I'd be willing to bet that Kodjia, Hogan, McCormack, Agbonlahor is a much more expensive wage bill than the aforementioned.

On 18/06/2017 at 11:23, ender4 said:

So ignoring the bookie odds...

are the top two most likely going to be Derby and Middlesboro?

I really don't see why people keep putting Derby up there. Average team with a defensive manager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I really don't see why people keep putting Derby up there. Average team with a defensive manager. 

They finished play offs in 13/14 and 15/16 and bottled it on the last day spectacularly in 14/15.

Last season like us they chose the wrong manager from the start and so were playing catch up. They weren't far off the play offs around March until they dipped and then finished the season o.k under Rowett.

There are a typical championship thereabouts team. I'd be surprised if they missed out on top 6 given how close Rowett got SHA to them with a far inferior squad. He had Donaldson at SHA, he know has Chris Martin who scores 20 in this league with his eye shut, he had Jacques Maghoma at SHA, he know has Tom Ince etc.

Liam Lindsay just signed for Barnsley from Patrick Thistle in the Scottish Premier League. Looks like a player with a lot of potential.

I'm liking what Paul Heckingbottom is trying to build at Barnsley. He'd be high on my list of managers I'd like us to go for if Steve Bruce doesn't work out.

14 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Liam Lindsay just signed for Barnsley from Patrick Thistle in the Scottish Premier League. Looks like a player with a lot of potential.

I'm liking what Paul Heckingbottom is trying to build at Barnsley. He'd be high on my list of managers I'd like us to go for if Steve Bruce doesn't work out.

Seen him play much mate?

7 hours ago, One For The Road said:

1. Middlesbrough

2. Reading

3. Derby

4. Fulham

5. Leeds

6. Sheffield Weds

I'd be amazed if Leeds or Reading finished as high as last season, think they'll both dip.

Fulham might lose a few also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'd be amazed if Leeds or Reading finished as high as last season, think they'll both dip.

Fulham might lose a few also.

Depends on how well Sunderland and Hull recover I suppose. But I expect that to be quite close to being the top 6.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

1. Fulham
2. Aston Villa
3. Sunderland
4. Middlesbrough
5. Derby
6. Brentford

Innit.

No Wednesday in your top 6? :blink:

Fulham were very impressive during our defeat there last season.

Derby have been there or thereabouts for years no reason to think that wont continue.

Sheff Wed (see Derby)

Blues will no doubt be good under Candle wax face

Brentford I like but the may lose Jota, which would hurt them

Villa of course....Steve Bruce will have the failings that caused us to go on the two bad runs last year under control ;)

Honourable mention to Sunderland Hull and Middlesboro who will all have good spells...it just depends how long they can keep it up after dropping out of the premier.

And finally Barnsley not sure how strong they will be after they have finished being raided during the transfer market, but I think they must have some pretty impressive scouting system up there........

Leeds new owners have bought back Ellan Road, guess it means they have money to spend and will challenge?

Leeds United: Championship club buy back Elland Road home

Leeds United have played at Elland Road since the club was formed in 1919

Leeds United have bought back their Elland Road home, 13 years after being forced to sell it to reduce debts.

The Championship club sold the ground on a lease back deal in November 2004 after relegation from the top flight.

Owner Andrea Radrizzani said: "Today is an important day in our history and a proud day for me and my team.

"When I met with management and supporters during my first few months here the purchase of Elland Road was very high on their list of priorities."

The club added in a statement that the deal would allow them to "significantly reduce their expenditure" and re-direct money to the academy, senior squad and improvements to the stadium.

Previous owner Massimo Cellino said in 2014 that he wanted to "buy back our house" but he did not manage to do so before selling his remaining 50% stake to fellow Italian Radrizzani in May.

Managing director Angus Kinnear, who could not confirm the financial details of the deal, told BBC Radio Leeds: "I'm very excited. This is a fantastic day.

"I've been in the city for a couple of weeks but already it has been impressed on me by the people of Leeds how important it was to own our home.

"Andrea has only had full ownership for a few weeks and he has delivered on his promise. The transaction has not been easy but we are all delighted and there is a fantastic feeling around Elland Road.

He added: "There is a fantastic opportunity for development and you can't do that if you don't own the ground. We want to look at how we can enhance supporters' experience on a matchday."

'Elland Road is an iconic stadium'

Analysis - BBC Radio Leeds sport reporter Katherine Hannah

This is huge news for Leeds United fans.

Many previous owners have talked about buying back Elland Road and making it their priority. But up until now - for various reasons - it's never happened. For chairman Andrea Radrizzani to state his intention of buying back Elland Road and actually deliver it so soon into his ownership, will be an incredibly popular move.

It's a matter of pride for fans of Leeds United for the club to regain control of the stadium. They don't want to see huge sums being paid out to rent their own ground when that money could be invested elsewhere.

Elland Road is an iconic stadium, and for Leeds United to be able to say "this is ours" again means a great deal.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40433193

On 23/06/2017 at 04:36, Michael118 said:

I'm still waiting to see how much of Liam Lindsay you have seen play? Just considering Partick are barely on sky, and I can't imagine it being a ground you visit on many occasions. 

What does it matter if I've seen him once, twice or ten times on TV or in person? I've seen enough to know he's got a lot of potential which is all that matters.

If your posts weren't so derogatory maybe I'd offer you a better answer.

Â