The Championship thread

TrentVilla

9 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Newcastle owe Benitez a big transfer budget imo

He stayed there when he could have easily walked, time for them to repay him by backing him

I think rafa will be gone by this time next season 

Basically a full season of paying attention to the league and its amazing how poor it is in every way. 

Only Fulham and Brighton can seemingly play football. Newcastle and Huddersfield have been effective but generally just do enough in a game to win it without playing well. 

Jesus we are crap to struggle in this. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Basically a full season of paying attention to the league and its amazing how poor it is in every way. 

Only Fulham and Brighton can seemingly play football. Newcastle and Huddersfield have been effective but generally just do enough in a game to win it without playing well. 

I think that's being incredibly unfair to some other teams - in particular Brentford who I think are the most entertaining side in the division and always give it a go. I think Preston and Bristol City play good football too.

The league is obviously less talented that the Premier League but I don't think it's that bad at all.

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think that's being incredibly unfair to some other teams - in particular Brentford who I think are the most entertaining side in the division and always give it a go. I think Preston and Bristol City play good football too.

The league is obviously less talented that the Premier League but I don't think it's that bad at all.

I just mentioned the teams I did as they are at the top end. I agree with you on Brentford and to an extent Preston. 

On 29/04/2017 at 20:53, kurtsimonw said:

Yeah for the huge sums of money we've chucked at it we're piss poor.  The worst side I've seen were Cardiff under Warnock - and they're pretty much par with us in the table.

doesnt help shipping out your three summer signings costing 20m y Jan though!  What a mess. 

Interesting that the playoffs will involve the following teams (last seasons finish in brackets)

Reading (17th)
Sheffield Wednesday (6th)
Huddersfield Town (19th)
Fulham (20th)

Gives us hope we can turn it around quickly next season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Norwich having a clear out.

I can't say I blame them really.  They should have been like Newcastle this season or at least close.  They came down with a settle side, kept it together and made some additions.  Stability should have been enough to at least mount a serious promotion charge.  And they did for a while.  They got off to a cracking start and then went on an atrocious run towards the end of October where they played 12 won 2 drew 2 lost 8 (and a manager).  They've never recovered.

Of all the sides in the division, given their own various circumstances and goals, I think Norwich have had the worst season of anyone in relation to what it should have been.  And yes I include us in that because we had a rebuild job that they didn't have.

Derby County chief executive and president sacked for 'gross misconduct'

Sam Rush: Derby County chief executive and president sacked for 'gross misconduct'

_95894127_gettyimages-610704262.jpg

Derby County have sacked chief executive and president Sam Rush for "gross misconduct".

The Championship club released a statement on Wednesday saying Rush had been dismissed with immediate effect "on the grounds of gross misconduct and breach of fiduciary duty".

It added they would be making no further comment at this stage.

In a statement, Rush said he was "incredibly shocked and disappointed" to have been dismissed.

"I would like to wish the supporters, staff, players and management the very best for the future," he continued.

"I will be making no further comment at this time as the matter is now in the hands of my lawyers."

Derby, who appointed Rush in January 2013, are currently ninth in the second tier and can not make the play-offs.

Rush's dismissal comes at the end of a difficult season off the field for the Rams which saw them sack manager Steve McClaren for the second time in March following a "significant, unexpected and persistent decline in results, team unity and morale".

Rush, who formerly worked for global sports and entertainment agency, the Wasserman Media Group, had signed a new five-year contract with the club in October 2015.

Useless fact of the day.

Only 2 clubs in the Championship this season didn't have the 'double' done over them by someone else.  Aston Villa and Reading.  FWIW.

What makes matters worse for Blackburn is that they did the double over Forest this season, so a different tie-breaker would've kept them up.

For almost the last half of the season (22 games), Fulham were the best side in the division.  They topped that mini-league from Newcastle & Wednesday.  44, 42 & 40pts respectively.  We were 15th on 27pts.

So who is winning the pal offs. After Huddersfield pathetic display against blose I hope its anyone but them. I think Fulham to be honest. they have been awesome and I think they deserve it 

Millwall coming up as i expect them to beat bradford am not looking forward to those games 

Edited by Demitri_C

Â