Entertainment - Championship or Prem

hippo

We will be on the front foot a lot more in this division particularly in home games which will make a nice change from the last 5 years of dirge.

Take last night...in the first 10 minutes I think we had 3 shots on target and also a head from Ayew that was offside. Plenty of games last season when we didn't even manage 3 shots on goal.

I've said it on here before, but I'd been to watch Brentford at Griffin Park and the enjoyment the fans were getting, and the general mood throughout the stadium, was much much better than what we were experiencing in the Premier League. 

We could actually win this thing, but even if we don't, we'll have a bloody good go at it. The worry when we get back up is going back to being another also ran/no hoper. 

I really do think the bigger clubs will dick the PL league this season after their poor efforts last, and they'll be so far ahead of everyone that it'll be a farce. 

I don't know if I want to go back to that. 

(Unless Xia is willing to do some Man City style spending).

The Championship need to get the coverage sorted and sell the TV rights world wide , theres a market for this type of all in end to end drama, a market that used to be filled by the premier league,  thats now become to  sanitized.

31 minutes ago, tinker said:

The Championship need to get the coverage sorted and sell the TV rights world wide , theres a market for this type of all in end to end drama, a market that used to be filled by the premier league,  thats now become to  sanitized.

Agreed, but unfortunately its a purists league rather than a really saleable commodity.

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I've said it on here before, but I'd been to watch Brentford at Griffin Park and the enjoyment the fans were getting, and the general mood throughout the stadium, was much much better than what we were experiencing in the Premier League. 

We could actually win this thing, but even if we don't, we'll have a bloody good go at it. The worry when we get back up is going back to being another also ran/no hoper. 

I really do think the bigger clubs will dick the PL league this season after their poor efforts last, and they'll be so far ahead of everyone that it'll be a farce. 

I don't know if I want to go back to that. 

(Unless Xia is willing to do some Man City style spending).

Would imagine Leicester fans were saying the same thing 3 years back..."do we really want to go back up as it's more fun down here etc."

I don't see why with some clever spending we couldn't be finishing at least top half again in the prem in the near future and build from there.

Lots of work to do this season though before we can seriously talk about stuff like that.

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

My Baggies supporting mates hate the PL and want to go back to the Championship.  The football is more fun, but the exposure is **** dire.

Here's hoping your mates get what they want.

• Like 1

Bit early for this, two games in. But yeah, it's been fun watching us on the front foot. Teams showing us way too much respect by wasting time in the corner, when the game is 1-1 when they look likely to win the game. 

Its good spending 15m on CBs and buying strikers for 12m.

As mentioned above though, is it good when you you don't get promoted after many seasons and end up like Leeds?

44 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Agreed, but unfortunately its a purists league rather than a really saleable commodity.

I think the problem might be that TV rights for Premier League and Champion's (and runners-up's) League have become too expensive, so TV channels are cost-cutting.
Championship football rights are offered bundled with League One, FA & League Cup and Charity Shield as a single package. All or nothing at all, at least in Norway.

With regards to the TV rights I think the Premier League bully the Football League they won't have games on at the same time to compete for instance.  It's weird that BT have gone all in against Sky for Premier League rights when they should be hoovering up the Football League and Foreign Leagues and offering an alternative.   

Take this season for example if the live Football League games were on BT I would have took out a subscription straight away.   They could then sell this on to other countries and so on.

Newcastle, Leeds, Wolves, Sheff Weds and so on plus evey other league club that's a massive audience that would pay subscription fees.  

Fans will follow their team to whatever channel wins the rights.   There has to be a massive UK market for non Premier  League Football.  

The Premier League and Scudamore will not allow competion though.

Edited by S-Platt

A discussion of how entertaining the championship is compared to the premier league makes just as much sense as comparing a bar brawl down in my social to a boxing gala in medison square garden. 

Of course the bar brawl is much more fun, yet we would all prefer to fight on pay per view.

for me its the Championship, you lose any sort of spirit and caring for football after losing game after game(often embarassingly)

plus I said it before its refreshing not to see people jump around the pitch looking for free-kicks and yellow cards. I enjoyed Villa vs Sheffield Wednesday more as a spectacle than Chelsea vs West Ham

Â