Pre Match Thread

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

I'm dreading the Pearson love-in on here if Derby win...

You could just as easily flip it round and say that a narrow defeat to Wednesday and a draw against Huddersfield have convinced some people that we're poor.

I still think it's too early to properly judge us at the moment.

Really? Do you think its those games that have convinced people that we are poor? 

1000th post... Yeeee-ha!

I have gone into every game this season believing it is going to be tough no matter who we play. The club has had zero confidence for too long. As disappointing as it was to end up with 'just' 4 points from out two opening home games, it's a point more than Newcastle got, and a point more we scored against a team who Newcastle lost to at home. Things are changing for us, which is good. I think Derby will be a tough game, but we have a chance to go three unbeaten if our players perform.

I think 1-1 going into this. I'm not as scared as I used to be, but I don't have sky high confidence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Hi all, first post.

going for a narrow win, IF we play an extra midfielder. Though I rate both McCormack and Ayew, at the moment I think Ayew is hot and cold, and McCormack isn't fit enough. I'd even be tempted to play Amavi as the midfielder (if Jedinak isn't available), and move Grealish behind Gestede and either Ayew or McCormack.

This Ayew blowing hot and cold worries me a little. Can we really expect him and Grealish to thrive in the same team?  I'm not really convinced and in some ways not surprised that nobody has made a serious move for Ayew.

This team has been desperately short of organisers and leaders which is why the Jedinak signing is important, coupled with Elphick at the back.  From what I have seen this year our biggest challenge is getting quality balls into Gestede from wide positions.

Can see this being an open game. I am hoping Derby come at us strong as this may give us chance to catch them on the break and open them up. Feels similar to the Wednesday game. Derby have some decent players and their fans will be well up for getting behind their team for a first home win of the season. I agree with some of the other comments above that whilst I'm never confident with villa, I do think e have shown more about us in the opening few games. A draw wouldn't be a bad result at all, but we should be looking at winning this. No f*ck-ups from our defenders and keepers would help, and hopefully Jedi can get in amongst it for his first start to add some steel to the middle.

If we play Gestede, then we need to be using him effectively and supplying him where we can. I think he's linked up quite well with McCormack. An away win would bring us masses of confidence and we are due one. The longer we go without winning away, the more it becomes a hoodoo and a hurdle we need to get past. Saturday is an opportunity for this. Teams like Blues and Wolves seem to be able to deliver on the road in these situations, so we need to be getting some wins away from home. Wont be easy at all, most games won't be in this league, but it could be massive for us if we can get an away win at Pride Park in front of the SKY cameras. 

3 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Really? Do you think its those games that have convinced people that we are poor? 

To a certain extent yes. It's amazing how much opinions and the general mood can change round here off the back of one or two results.

I predict 1-1. Gestede to open, enabling us to immediately drop deep. Gollini will have a blinder until the 86th min when a sloppy, but unstoppable back pass will bring the equaliser, giving way to the usual percentage of VT'ers posting their lack of confidence in the young keeper

Or we win 4-0....who knows?

22 hours ago, One For The Road said:

You surely don't think this is the same team from last your do you?  Sure they were an awfull team but the current lot are made of different stuff. 

• Like 1

Been away, had a shitty week, and missed the last 2 games. If beIN sports are not showing this live, I am calling the karma cops.

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You surely don't think this is the same team from last your do you?  Sure they were an awfull team but the current lot are made of different stuff. 

I'm seeing the same lapses of concentration, the same late goals conceded and the same struggles to win games. I'm sure we are better than last year but there's a hell of a long way to go.

23 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I'm seeing the same lapses of concentration, the same late goals conceded and the same struggles to win games. I'm sure we are better than last year but there's a hell of a long way to go.

Well in that case all you are doing is concentrating on the negatives you have seen and ignored the huge strides taken elsewhere.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well in that case all you are doing is concentrating on the negatives you have seen and ignored the huge strides taken elsewhere.  

No I'm not. I simply stated that we are making similar mistakes and there is a long way to go. Not ignoring anything. I eben stated that I thought we are better than last year! So how am I ignoring anything?

What an odd comment.

Edited by One For The Road

20 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

No I'm not. I simply stated that we are making similar mistakes and there is a long way to go. Not ignoring anything. I eben stated that I thought we are better than last year! So how am I ignoring anything?

What an odd comment.

I'm not going to get into a long string of bickering so this is my last say but your original post where you said "that we are a good side. We really aren't." is what prompted me to respond.  I think you are focusing too much on a couple of errors to conclude we are not a good side.  Only because of very small margins we failed to take a point at Sheffield and all 3 against Huddersfield which would currently put us joint top. 

Many of the players are new together and will play better with familiarity.  I think we are actually now a very good team. 

• Like 2