Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Huddersfield

limpid

That seperates the great sides from the good ones able to hold on and keep 1-0 or one goal advantages, we are incapable of doing this, thats why i think automatic promotion will be out of reach. we should be unbeaten this season but we are making really stupid mistakes. Gollini alone has cost us 3 points

I think we play OK, first half we could have been 2 or 3 up. Second half we only created a couple of decent chances and they all came through Rudy. We were a bit one dimensional going forward.

Golini kept  us in the game second half and put himself in some dangerous positions even taking one in the face. But he was at fault for the goal, a bit of a howler and he slipped up late against Sheff Weds too. He needs to sort this out ASAP. I wouldn't drop him yet but keep an eye on him.

Though Grealish was poor again. This game he had more of the ball and space to beat a player but rarely did in effective areas.

We need to close these games down, its a learning process that the premier league wouldn't allow us time to do. Maybe this season the championship will allow us to mature into that team,  more clinical both in attack and defense.

Need to be able to hold the ball in midfield, Westwood isn't suited to defending at 1-0 with 10 minutes to go. 

Hopefully against Derby the players will feel so pissed off and angry they will take the game to them with more aggression and greater composure in front of goal.

I get the feeling we are going to completely destroy a team in one of these next few games. UTV

• Like 1

Decent first half but failed to get key second goal. When Huddersfield decided to go for it with 30 mins left, we made a bad call and decided to defend with all ten outfield players. We needed to leave a player or two up top rather than pack our own box with every Villa shirt because that just sucked in the pressure.

Gollini made more good saves than errors so he was in credit last night. Midfield was our weakness again. Complete lack of creativity and vision. You can't play Grealish AND Ayew - they both deliver no end product - we need the vision in there to release McCormack.

Rudy is a reborn CF - was a real nuisance out there and looks the part at this level which, as others have said, is a crap standard and nothing like the "tough" league we were warned about.

Need to both add a couple of bodies AND sort out the best mix in what we have and we will be in with a shout by season's end. 

Great atmosphere last night - genuine positive spirit both on and off the pitch - long may it remain !

12 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

The ten minutes I listened Bacuna was dreadful. Why is he in the team? Do people think he's good? Sometimes I think everyone else is on crazy pills

The 90 minutes I watched he did very well. I have been highly critical of Bacuna over the years but he has played very well the last couple of games. 

How do you think you are qualified to judge a player by 10 minutes you have listened on the radio? That's crazy mate. 

• Like 2

Only seen the highlights, but what most impressed me was Gestede's work rate in the build-up to his chance. Sure the final header was poor, but it was good see him closing down and making tackles. I guess this it's just his level.

its a long season so not too worried. Two late goals have cost us 3 pts so far but you have to kill teams off when you are on top. Ayew is guilty of poor finishing. 

Edited by PaulC

Let us not forget Huddersfield turned Newcastle over last weekend, this either makes Huddersfield very good or us slightly less shitter than Newcastle. I think it may be the former but the 'smaller' teams will be gunning for us early on so am not surprised by the result.

Their goal was an absolute abortion though.

Edited by Hoof hearted
Grammar

43 minutes ago, Villanun said:

Only seen the highlights, but what most impressed me was Gestede's work rate in the build-up to his chance. Sure the final header was poor, but it was good see him closing down and making tackles. I guess this it's just his level.

For me Gestade has been the best forward for us the last 2 games,  unplayable at times.  Ayew has been the weakest link in the front 3 with plenty of missed chances. 

• Like 1

Definitely agree. Gestede has upped his game and attitude. Ayew has not ..... he still thinks he is better than he is and his contribution to the team is barely greater than any of the corner flags. I would get rid fast and use the money wisely ..... we don't need him and he is a poor fit with where we are going.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Sorry you have edited this yet still called Gollini an arse after making several excellent saves and unluckily conceding a bit of a freak goal. None of them are arses but if anything the forwards are more to blame for not burying chances to put the result in.in no doubt. Gollini kept us in it,  very strange to single him out. 

I was so angry last night... I only called him that because someone told others not to.

We are very much work in progress.

There are signs of improvement, but a fair bit to go.

for me, midfield is still someway off......Jedinak, could be a significant move forward, but still lots to do.

we still seem unable to contain and keep the ball.....this brings the opposition in to the game and puts the defence under pressure.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skills said:

not too fazed about Gollini's kicking errors, if it were handling or fumbling mistakes than id be concerned

Exactly my thinking, two fluke goals not likely to happen often, just looks bad cause it was in 3 games

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Definitely agree. Gestede has upped his game and attitude. Ayew has not ..... he still thinks he is better than he is and his contribution to the team is barely greater than any of the corner flags. I would get rid fast and use the money wisely ..... we don't need him and he is a poor fit with where we are going.

You must have missed all the donkey work he did for the team, his exceptional work rate cannot be questioned.

I am a born pessimist but after the first three games I think we really have got a shot at going back up first time.  There is a real buzz about the ground again, and the support last night was great.  Last year, we would without question of conceded another late goal and lost that match.

Jedinak coming in is a real boost, add a couple of others and we will be well set.  

First off I thoroughly enjoyed about 90% of that match. It was  very entertaining match with both sides going for it in a open game.  It was a great atmosphere and to get nearly 35,000 on a mid week night in the Championship is superb. Villa were excellent in the first half and it should have all been over. Credit to Huddersfield for hanging on and making a couple of tactical changes which took Grealish out of the second half.  

The problem was we have nothing on the bench with 3 defenders and no forward players. It would be have been an ideal game for Jedinak to come on and calm it down-hopefully that will be his job on Saturday. Tshibola was again good in the first half but tired and once he had that booking that really weakened the midfield and put further pressure on the back four who until then had looked very solid. Elphick and Chester look like a good partnership and was good to see McComack get his first (of many) goals for the Villa. He will get sharper in the next week weeks. 

I think overall it was more positives and negatives. Villa are obviously still work in process and some more signings are required to build the squad up. But compared to the total rubbish served up last season even taking into account the lower level the last 2 home games have been very pleasing to watch.

Â