Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Huddersfield

limpid

Dissapointing not to hold on and a bad goal to concede don't care what anyone says it should have been dealt with much better by Ephick/Gollini but our performances have been much better ,we will be fighting for promotion which is a massive positive ,we need to strengthen around the middle very lightweight there,hopefully Jedinak will improve things

Really should have won, disappointing we dropped 2 points the way we did. Elphick at fault for me, don't think we'll see many more mistakes from him this season though. We do have to remember Gollini is only 21 as well, he'll undoubtedly improve himself as the season goes on. 

There's been a lot more positives in our performances though than negatives, we're playing some super football at times. Take our chances today and that's a comfortable win against one of the leagues very early form sides. Add Jedinak into the team as well and I have to say we look really strong. As of right now I'm pleased with how we're going.

Derby will be a tricky game on Saturday, though they haven't exactly looked great so far.

• Like 2

Admittedly I only 'watched' the highlights and listened to the radio but it seems that we are night and day compared to the last few seasons going forward.
Does anyone remember the 10 games without a goal and about 2 shots in that whole run?

We dropped the 2 points thanks to a once in a decade freak goal that if happened to anyone else would be hilarious. Shame but I can't help but feel positive about whats happening to Villa.

Just back frustrating but we played some lovely football at times.  Nearly 35k in attendance.  We will get better and better I am confident of that.  It is exciting again so for those that are thinking about going get down there we are on the road back!

There will be ups and downs but far more ups.

BELIEVE!

• Like 3

Well the first ever non top flight game I've watched involving us and quite an interesting night....

First of all the crowd. I was in the lower Witton tonight and couldn't believe how packed the Holte was and how positive the crowd were throughout. We need to win games but goodness me if we keep that up Villa Park will be a much more positive place this season, there was a buzz around tonight I haven't felt for quite some time.
35k must've been our highest midweek gate for a long time. I reckon they'll open the upper Trinity at xmas.

The standard in the championship. When you've spent all your time watching premier league (and a bit of league one) you immediately see how much slower the player is when players have the ball. I couldn't believe how much space Huddersfield gave us and they hardly had anything upfront for the first hour....

We played very well for an hour. Lots of movement, quick interchanges and we should've scored a hatful.

Fragility at defending a 1 nil lead. Huddersfield bringing on Scannell and Wells changed the game completely.  Cissokho went to pot second half when Scannell was running at him which meant Huddersfield built up constant pressure and Wells has that quality in the final third which really unsettled us. In fairness given they've won their first two and beaten Newcastle they're not a bad team and they didn't start with their strongest 11.

Lack of options on the bench. We had 4 defenders on there. Where was Adama? He'd have been perfect to bring on when we were under the cosh in the last 20 minutes to launch some counter attacks. We're still short of two players I reckon, Jedinak and another forward player.

Overall though I'm much more positive than I was two weeks back. It's clear there isn't much quality in this division so given the money we've spent and will continue to spend we'll be up there but need to win a few more games to get that confidence up and strengthen a little more. We're getting there is how I'd sum it up. 4 points from Derby and Bristol and I think that's a pretty decent start.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

Huddersfield scored a fluke. We dominated most of that game and should have been out of sight before half time. Add a couple of players to this squad and we will guarantee automatic promotion form this piss poor league.

They were all over us last 20 mins, it was coming.

gollini needs to learn quickly 

We were excellent first half and really should have been at least two up. Second half Huddersfield pushed even further up than the first half, and they were playing  a high line already, with the net effect we were overrun in midfield.

Both Tish and Westwood were poor second half so much so we ended up defending on the edge of our penalty area. Even then we must have half a dozen really good counter attacks which petered out through poor final passes. We ended up just lumping the ball up the field in the vague hope Gestede could get on the end of it....very poor.

The subs bench was a joke, Green was the best option we had, the rest were just bench fillers. Three defenders was it, do me a favour? Adama would have torn their defence apart in the second half so where was he?

Once the central midfield consisted of Westwood and Gardner I gave up all hope of anything happening. Westwood is a tidy player in a good / winning side but he was worryingly outclassed in the second half by frankly nothing more than a very well organized and drilled side in the shape of Huddersfield.

Edited by Harry

I fear for the fact that we dont have a complete 1st 11. Still short of a RB CM R/LW & CF.

Then you see the bench tonight.

When the injuries & suspensions kick in we'll be back to using the losers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

We were excellent first half and really should have been at least two up. Second half Huddersfield pushed even further than the first half, and they were paying a high line already, with the net effect we were overrun in midfield.

Both Tish and Westwood were poor second half so much so we ended up defending on the edge of our penalty area. Even then we must have half a dozen really good counter attacks which petered out through poor final passes. We ended up just lumping the ball up the field in the vague hope Gestede could get on the end of it....very poor.

The subs bench was a joke, Green was the best option we had, the rest were just bench fillers. Three defenders was it, do me a favour? Adama would have torn their defence apart in the second half so where was he?

Once the central midfield consisted of Westwood and Gardner I gave up all hope of anything happening. Westwood is a tidy player in a good / winning side but he was worryingly outclassed in the second half by frankly nothing more than a very well organized and drilled side in the shape of Huddersfield.

4!

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Gollini is an arse.

I'm so fed up with this it's unreal.

Sorry you have edited this yet still called Gollini an arse after making several excellent saves and unluckily conceding a bit of a freak goal. None of them are arses but if anything the forwards are more to blame for not burying chances to put the result in.in no doubt. Gollini kept us in it,  very strange to single him out. 

2 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

It's probably a load of bollocks but what does it matter. They only scored from a rebound off the chest of a player from a crazy goalkeeping error. That is the only stat that matters. 170 accurate passes could include 169 passes back to their goalkeeper!

Indeed. Particularly 1st half they had an awful lot of passes going nowhere due to our energetic and determined pressing game.  Just shows what an utter waste of time stats are.

Agreed on the ref. There were a few throw-in/corner decision they got terribly wrong. But as @villa4europe said, the inconsistency was annoying. It felt like we only made 2 fouls in the first hour, both were yellow worthy. They had made plenty of those fouls in the first half and seemed to always go unpunished.

I don't think we were close to being the better team over 90 minutes though. They dominated the second half far more than we did in the first. First half, they kept the ball for decent periods whereas in the second half we were just hoofing the ball away and couldn't make a pass. I feel their chances were a bit more clear cut as well, getting through in the box twice where Gollini did well, then hitting the woodwork from the free kick.

I think 4-4-2 against the lesser sides will work more often than not. But Huddersfield clearly have a bit about them and were far more organised than Rotherham and their front men were dropping deeper more and getting more involved than ours, so they bossed the midfield. Think RdM needs to change things up a bit earlier.

A solid enough result with plenty of positives to be taken? I'll take that for now. It was only a little while ago that Holloway was predicting that we'd finish 16th but what we've seen so far would suggest otherwise.

• Like 1

Â