Squad / Team - how do you see it?

Dodgyknees

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Putting your feelings about Flabby aside for a minute, do you expect him to play again for this club?

He's toast. 

No idea but I would be playing him off the bench at the very least.  If he's fit he can contribute and I think he is potentially too valuable a player to not be using.

58 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I didn't include Kodjia because I haven't seen him play but I rate Kozak and Agbonlahor highly and if they are fit I would have no issue with them being our first choice strikers.

reactions stop nsfw person of interest do not want

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Maybe you can spend some time looking over some of the 373 posts I've made and you'll notice a lot of what I've posted which was unpopular at the time ended up being correct.

As I have 2 young children and a full time job and really don't have the time to trawl through all your posts... Would you care to provide an example of some of these unpopular views that became correct?

39 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

No idea but I would be playing him off the bench at the very least.  If he's fit he can contribute and I think he is potentially too valuable a player to not be using.

I'm agreeing, this is our squad we have to use it, bomb squads over the last few years were part of the poisoning of the club. Can't see a problem with a fit Gabby coming off the bench for the last 10 minutes.

Given Tonys quote -this won't happen.

have to disagree that our first choice line up should be Gabby and Kozak.

36 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

As I have 2 young children and a full time job and really don't have the time to trawl through all your posts... Would you care to provide an example of some of these unpopular views that became correct?

A stopped clock is right twice a day!

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

Maybe you can spend some time looking over some of the 373 posts I've made and you'll notice a lot of what I've posted which was unpopular at the time ended up being correct.

There is a pattern there alright, but not the one you are pointing out.

football real madrid please iker casillas isco

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Gollini

Chester  Elphick  Baker

Bacuna                                 Amavi

Jedinak  Westwood

McCormack

Kozak  Agbonlahor

Bunn Cissokho Adomah Kodjia Grealish Tshibola Gardner 

Disagree with that team, I'd go:

Bunn

Hutton Richards Baker Cissokho

Bacuna Westwood Gardner Green

Gabby Kozak

Disappointed we let Richardson and N'Zogbia go as they could have sured up that left side.

• Like 3

So the squad will be:

GK: Gollini (potential), Bunn (weak), Steer (potential)

RB: De Laet (solid), Bacuna (passable), Hutton (passable) 

LB: Amavi (potential+), Cissokho (passable)

CB: Chester (solid+) , Elphick (solid+), Baker (passable), Richards (weak)

CM: Jedinak (solid+), Tshibola (potential), Westwood (passable) , Gardner (weak+), Lyden (potential)

RW: Adomah (solid), Green (potential+)

LW: Grealish (potential+)

FW: McCormack (good), Kodija (solid+), Ayew (good-), Gestede (passable), Kozak (weak+), Hepburn-Murpy (potential), Gabby (weak)

At a glance it looks very top heavy, lacking in width and weak in midfield, but as McCormack and Ayew have been used as midfielders rather than strikers it evens out a bit.

When all fit I expect the formation to be something like:

Gollini

De Laet      Chester       Elphick       Amavi

Jedinak        Tshibola       <---------------->   (Westwood)

Adomah      McCormack      Ayew  <---------------->   (Grealish)

Kodija    <-------------------------->   (Ayew)

Doubt any team in the league is even close to us when it comes to attacking options, we are spoiled for choice, however we probably can't fit them all in if we are to have a functioning formation. ATM Ayew has been played as a winger where he is not very effective (or happy?). Nice that we have options thou.

Defense looks strong to me, but would have been nice with another CB.

Midfield is a big worry for me,

Jedinak will need time to get up to speed and his passing is limited (from what I've read). 

Tshibola is an unknown quantity who seem to have back luck with injuries, hopefully he'll be a revelation

Westwood is an OK squad option at this level, but will struggle in a 2 man midfield IMO, especially when put under pressure

Gardner, I just don't know. It hasn't looked good has it? Probably not suited to a 2 man midfield either. 

Lyden I've not seen enough of.

Hopefully we can score enough goals to be in reach of the play off spots come January when we can bring in another CM and then push on from there.

(sorry in advance to anyone with OCD who should probably not spend too much time staring at that slightly lopsided formation :))

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Disagree with that team, I'd go:

Bunn

Hutton Richards Baker Cissokho

Bacuna Westwood Gardner Green

Gabby Kozak

Disappointed we let Richardson and N'Zogbia go as they could have sured up that left side.

Yes. And we should have kept Eric Black as manager.

Captain Obvious sarcasm sarcastic clapping applause

10 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Gollini                                                        Steer

DeLaet - Elphick - Chester - Amavi         Hutton - Richards - Baker - Cissokho

Tshibola - Jedinak                                  Westwood - Gardner

Adomah - McCormack - Grealish                   Bacuna - Ayew - Agbonlahor

Kodjia                                                     Gestede

Subs: Bunn, Lyden, Green, H-Murphy, Kozak

We go again

Funny enough your second team reminds me of something.....shudder!

Big thing for me is who will miss out if we continue playing 4-2-3-1....

Kodjia, Adomah and McCormack will all be starting regularly so it's a choice between Jack and Ayew...Jack has been excellent so far this season...Ayew simply hasn't.

Mad to think our best player in the premier league (albeit in a car crash season) probably is going to be a substitute in the near future. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Big thing for me is who will miss out if we continue playing 4-2-3-1....

Kodjia, Adomah and McCormack will all be starting regularly so it's a choice between Jack and Ayew...Jack has been excellent so far this season...Ayew simply hasn't.

Mad to think our best player in the premier league (albeit in a car crash season) probably is going to be a substitute in the near future. 

We can't just think about having a good 11 though. All of those 5 plus Gestede will get a lot of football this season. Take next gameweek, we have 2 games in 4 days, no reason why Grealish can't start the first and come off the bench for 30 mins in the second, and Ayew come off the bench in the first to give someone like McCormack a break and then play 90 mins in the second.

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Funny enough your second team reminds me of something.....shudder!

However the season pans out I think we have to be happy as a fan base that last years first team is effectively this years back up. :) Well played DrX, Mr Wyness and Mr Little.

5 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Alright. Keep in mind my first post was less than 8 months ago.

On Feb 10, in the Remi Garde thread, I posted:

Uninspiring, boring, safe, conservative.

Won't make it as a top manager in the premier league.

(0 likes)

I then explained that I would have preferred we appointed Sam Allardyce. In response, SNE posted:

I don't rate Allardyce.

He might have had a shorter bedding in period, but in the long run Garde is imo a much better option for us.

Allardyce has 17 p from 17 games

Garde has 11 p from 13 games

Not a huge difference considering Garde is new to managing in the league and that Allardyce has been at the Sunderland job longer and been able to bring in new players in January.

(9 likes)

In another response, bose posted:

I have so much faith in this guy (Remi Garde). Genuine joy there.

(22 likes)

I was then asked for my opinion of Sam Allardyce to which I replied:

Strong, motivational, positive, likeable, proven.

It's Your Round suggested that maybe apart from 'proven' those qualities could also apply to Remi Garde to which I replied:

I would't go out of my way to describe Remi as any of those (strong, motivational, positive, likeable, proven). Definitely not strong, motivational or proven. 

(0 likes)

Keyblade replied:

To bite or not to bite, that is the question.

(9 likes)

Thunderball then asked 'what makes me sure Garde isn't strong or motivational'? I replied:

When I look at Allardyce he exudes strength. When I look at Remi Garde he doesn’t.

When I listen to Allardyce I feel confident and assured. When I listen to Remi Garde I feel doubtful and uncertain.

(0 likes)

Keyblade replied:

How can you not feel assured when listening to Garde? I feel like he knows the solution to world peace every time he talks. Whereas all Allardyce does is fumble through cliches.

(10 likes)

On Jan 11, I left out Veretout from the team I came up with. In response to criticism, I posted:

Where does he play and what does he offer?  I can't put him in ahead of Gueye, Bacuna or Gil. I don't think he would be better than Westwood as a third midfiielder.

(0 likes)

Stevo965 replied:

I'm going to assume you haven't watched a Villa game since about September?

Veretout's been our best midfielder over the past couple of months

(11 likes)

I replied:

I've watched every Villa match this season. Even though he has improved and done well in some matches I don't think his best is as good as the best our other midfielders can produce.

(0 likes)

On Feb 10, I posted:

I think Swansea are on the right track appointing Guidolin

(0 likes)

On Feb 14, I posted:

The longer they keep McLaren the better it will be for Villa and anybody else hoping to avoid relegation.

(0 likes)   

On Feb 29, I posted:

Sell Gestede, Veretout, Richardson, Robinson

Consider selling Richards, N'Zogbia, Sinclair, Ayew, Grealish, Sanchez, Bennett, Baker

Keep Okore, Traore, Amavi, Gueye, Bacuna, Cissokho, Hutton, Clark, Westwood, Kozak, Sellars, Donacien, Guzan, Bunn, Lescott, Agbonlahor

Get Agbonlahor on a weight loss program.

New manager, new midfielders and a striker and replace all players sold.

(0 likes)

On Jul 29, four days before we sold Idrissa Gana to Everton, I posted:

He'll do really well at Everton. That's about the level he is currently at. Will be interesting to see how his career unfolds from there.

(1 like)

On Aug 7, before our first match, I posted:

I'm not confident going in with Gollini as first choice. I'd like us to sign Pantilimon. Elliot would be my next preference.

(1 like)

And this one isn't far away -

On Feb 14, not long after Klopp was appointed Liverpool manager, I posted:

Klopp is the problem at Liverpool not Christian Benteke. Unless he brings in some amazing players in the summer I don't see him succeeding there.

(0 likes)

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 3