Squad / Team - how do you see it?

Dodgyknees

Gollini                                                           Steer

DeLaet - Elphick - Chester - Amavi         Hutton - RICHARDS - Baker - Cissokho

Tshibola - Jedinak                                     Westwood - Gardner

TRAORE - McCormack - Grealish                Bacuna - Ayew - AGBONLAHOR

Kodjia                                                        Gestede

Subs: Bunn, Lyden, Green, Kozak

Wonder what that will look like this time tomorrow?

The amazing thing for me is when was the last time Villa, or any club, bought 9 new players, all of whom will probably be starting most games. No bench warmers, no ones for the future and no squad fillers. They are all good enough to go right on. Now with Gollini, of course we need to see a bit more, and RDL, Tish and the new guys we need to see more to see if they will stay like that, but impressive work. 

Last season, we bought a load in with the Delph and Benteke money, two starters lost, but most who replaced them didn't play. This season, it is the exact opposite and that makes me think we now have a backroom that understands the needs of the club that is linked to the needs of the manager. 

Lets hope they all gel soon as show what they have been bought for. 

• Like 1

Not sure why so many of you have Amavi in the team over Cissokho.

As thing stand, Amavi is a liability. I really like him but defensively he looks atrocious. 
I'd go:

-----------------------Steer---------------------------
RDL--------Chester------Elphick--------Cissohko
------------Jedinak---------Tshibola----------------
Ayew-------------McCormack-------------Grealish
------------------------Kodjia--------------------------

I genuinely think we're a GK away from being a very good side in this division. 

Amavi really isn't atrocious at defending. Not at all. I'd have him in over Cissokho no problem.

----------------------Gollini------------------------
RDL--------Chester------Elphick--------Amavi
------------Jedinak---------Tshibola-------------
Adomah---------McCormack----------Grealish
----------------------Kodjia-------------------------

Ayew, Gestede, Westwood, Bacuna, Baker, Cissokho, Steer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Amavi really isn't atrocious at defending. Not at all. I'd have him in over Cissokho no problem.

----------------------Gollini------------------------
RDL--------Chester------Elphick--------Amavi
------------Jedinak---------Tshibola-------------
Adomah---------McCormack----------Grealish
----------------------Kodjia-------------------------

Ayew, Gestede, Westwood, Bacuna, Baker, Cissokho, Steer

I think Grealish and Ayew may swap places

• Like 1

Should be a pretty solid side.  No-one massively inspiring, but if RDM can build a cohesive team ethic and we can stay solid at the back, there should be plenty of goals.  

Hope we can make the playoffs at this stage.

RDM hasn't resisted offers for Ayew just to put him on the bench.  Ayew will need to prove himself but I can easily see him starting over Grealish for the coming matches.

For me, Grealish still needs to prove himself - he's had a couple of ok performances in a pretty insipid start to the season.  He's not yet the first name on the teamsheet for me

• Like 1

Offers? Where are these offers we've had for Ayew?

As far as I'm aware he's been linked on Twitter with rumours, but as far as I am aware nobody has come in with a solid offer that we've rejected. That should say it all really.

I genuinely think to be more solid defensively and last 90s mins in order to build the team's overall confidence we need to play a three man midfield, just until we get back into the winning habit. We proved last season that Grealish and Ayew don't track back well. McScore doesn't either.

------------ Gollini

De Laet - Chester - Elphick - Cissokho

----------- Jedinak -----------------

----- Tish --------- Bacuna ------

Alby ---- Mac ---- Grealish (or Ayew)

--------- Kody ------------

But the above highlights the biggest issue, Bacuna. Yes he's done ok this season but the choice of him Westwood or Gardener as central midfield options is still pretty awful.

Edited by VillanousOne

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I genuinely think to be more solid defensively and last 90s mins in order to build the team's overall confidence we need to play a three man midfield, just until we get back into the winning habit. We proved last season that Grealish and Ayew don't track back well. McScore doesn't either.

------------ Gollini

But the above highlights the biggest issue, Bacuna. Yes he's done ok this season but the choice of him Westwood or Gardener as central midfield options is still pretty awful.

I reckon the biggest issue is the fine we'd get for fielding 12 players ;)

You are right though Westwood/Gardner and an unproven Tshibola/Lyden is looking like our weak link. Bacuna can't handle a central role. He lacks the awareness/intelligence for me.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

------------ Gollini

Ignoring that this team has 12 players, I see your point. If you wanted more solidity then you could always do this?

--------------------Gollini------------------------

De Laet---Chester----Elphick----Cissokho

---------Tshibola-----------Jedinak------------

Adomah---------Grealish-------------Kodjia

-----------------McCormack------------------

OR

(as we're doing at the moment)

Adomah-------McCormack---------Grealish

--------------------Kodjia-----------------------

48 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

RDM hasn't resisted offers for Ayew just to put him on the bench.  Ayew will need to prove himself but I can easily see him starting over Grealish for the coming matches.

For me, Grealish still needs to prove himself - he's had a couple of ok performances in a pretty insipid start to the season.  He's not yet the first name on the teamsheet for me

He's been much better than Ayew this season and has 2 league goals to Ayew's 0. 

And what offers did we turn down? We just said he wasn't for sale. I'd imagine we'd have done the same with grealish if there was loads of speculation in the press.

It's good that we've got some competition for places and people on the bench who can change a game. For now though, RDM would be mad to bench jack to keep ayew in. 

Edited by DCJonah

18 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I reckon the biggest issue is the fine we'd get for fielding 12 players ;)

You are right though Westwood/Gardner and an unproven Tshibola/Lyden is looking like our weak link. Bacuna can't handle a central role. He lacks the awareness/intelligence for me.

doh.... whoops i meant to put Mac or Kodja - i don't think we can play more than three forwards

---------------- Jedinak------------

---------Tshibola----------- Bacuna -------------

Adomah----------------------Grealish

-----------------Kodja------------------

and maybe when away we go with the below as stated, but a two man midfield with four players who don't track back (probably) will always lead us to concede from counter attacks if we commit too many players forward.

Adomah-------McCormack---------Grealish

--------------------Kodjia-----------------------

--------------------- Gollini ---------------------

-- De Laet - Chester - Elphick - Amavi --

Adomah - Tshibola - Jedinak - Grealish

------------- Kodija - McCormack -------------

of this, only amavi and grealish are not rdm signings

Edited by AndyBM