Squad / Team - how do you see it?

Dodgyknees

So with three strikers who have scored plenty of goals in this league, and another who has the potential to do so. Who do we think will end up top scorer, and come the end of the season (with the league already wrapped up ;) ), will they continue to pass to each other in goal scoring areas or try to beat each other to league top scorer. (All said tongue in cheek of course, but could happen).

17 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

So with three strikers who have scored plenty of goals in this league, and another who has the potential to do so. Who do we think will end up top scorer, and come the end of the season (with the league already wrapped up ;) ), will they continue to pass to each other in goal scoring areas or try to beat each other to league top scorer. (All said tongue in cheek of course, but could happen).

Hopefully a mix of both. I want to see some team spirit and a bit of friendly competition too. Top scorer? I don't know, maybe McCormack due to free kicks and pens. 

As things stand for me...

Depth Chart

Goalkeeper

Gollini

Steer

Bunn

Right Back

De Laet

Bacuna

Hutton

Left Back

Cissokho

Amavi

Baker

Right Centre Back

Elphick

De Laet

Richards

Left Centre Back

Chester

Baker

Cissokho

Central Midfield

Jedinak

Tshibola

Westwood

Bacuna

Gardner

Lyden

Right Wing

Ayew

Adomah

Green

Bacuna

Left Wing

Grealish

Ayew

Adomah

'Number 10'

McCormack

Grealish

Ayew

Striker

Gestede

Kodjia

Hepburn-Murphy

..................................................................................

The manager will have different ideas of course and certain players can 'do a job' in other positions I'm sure. Most troubling position for me is right centre back, one injury and either somebody is out of position or we're down to Richards *shudder*. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Hi DDID, 

Not quite sure if we have enough quality in depth. 41 games + 1 3rd round FACup tie away to The ManUre.

Depth Chart

Goalkeeper

Gollini

Steer

Bunn

Right Back

De Laet

Bacuna

Hutton - Please no

Left Back

Cissokho

Amavi

Baker

Right Centre Back

Elphick

De Laet

Richards - Please no

Left Centre Back

Chester - Can he play here?

Baker

Cissokho - not sure he could play CB left

Central Midfield

Jedinak

Tshibola

Westwood - No, does nothing progressive

Bacuna - only in a 3

Gardner - no, not good enough

Lyden - Prospect, only in a 3

Right Wing

Ayew - not really a winger

Adomah

Green - not ready yet

Bacuna

Left Wing

Grealish - Not really a winger

Ayew - Not really a winger

Adomah

AMAVI - with Cissokho @ LB

'Number 10'

McCormack

Grealish

Ayew

Striker

Gestede

Kodjia

Hepburn-Murphy - Is he ready?

-------------------------------------

I'm not quite convinced at the GK & RB 1st choices yet

We need 1 more CB for cover

Still think we are one short in CM

Would like another wide man

Enjoy reading your posts Dave but still havent forgiven you for not "helping me clean the shit off the walls of my paded cell" :ph34r:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As things stand for me...

Depth Chart

Goalkeeper

Gollini

Steer

Bunn

Right Back

De Laet

Bacuna

Hutton

Left Back

Cissokho

Amavi

Baker

Right Centre Back

Elphick

De Laet

Richards

Left Centre Back

Chester

Baker

Cissokho

Central Midfield

Jedinak

Tshibola

Westwood

Bacuna

Gardner

Lyden

Right Wing

Ayew

Adomah

Green

Bacuna

Left Wing

Grealish

Ayew

Adomah

'Number 10'

McCormack

Grealish

Ayew

Striker

Gestede

Kodjia

Hepburn-Murphy

..................................................................................

The manager will have different ideas of course and certain players can 'do a job' in other positions I'm sure. Most troubling position for me is right centre back, one injury and either somebody is out of position or we're down to Richards *shudder*. 

"Respect" to that listing, weighted with your order of preference. FM'er sir? 

As to OP question. How do I see the team?

we are a bacon sandwich, cooked perfectly, nice soft white bread. But there was no ketchup or brown sauce in the cupboard. So we buttered the bread, added salt to bacon and went without sauce. Still tastes great 9/10. And that sauce will come for January / July. And then the sandwich complete. 10/10 sandwich then. 

• Like 1

I got the itch for depth charts from following baseball for a while actually. They help me to get my head around the potential scenarios. 

@Grasshopper the thing is, you can't have a depth of 3 players for every position. It's just not viable. Some of them will be prospects, some of them not playing in their 'ideal' positions. Most of those are 3rd/4th choice in the respective position.

At the same time Grealish has this season been playing some of the best football of his career on the right. It's the position he has played his entire career so far. I've never seen him have a good game centrally to be honest, I don't really know why that idea persists as strong as it does. In retrospect I'd say Ayew is second in line there to McCormack. 

Ayew is though, undoubtedly IMO, at his best playing wider. I've used 4-4-2 as the basis for the chart purely for simplicity. If McCormack were to get injured for example, we would probably be better off playing two of the remaining forwards/strikers in a more traditional role and using more width, e.g. Adomah. 

Chester has been playing left centre back by the way, not sure what I'm missing there?

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I got the itch for depth charts from following baseball for a while actually. They help me to get my head around the potential scenarios. 

@Grasshopper the thing is, you can't have a depth of 3 players for every position. It's just not viable. Some of them will be prospects, some of them not playing in their 'ideal' positions. Most of those are 3rd/4th choice in the respective position.

Agree 2 are enough for competition, 3rd choice (when the likes of Hutton/Richards) should be emergencies only

At the same time Grealish has this season been playing some of the best football of his career on the right. It's the position he has played his entire career so far. I've never seen him have a good game centrally to be honest, I don't really know why that idea persists as strong as it does. In retrospect I'd say Ayew is second in line there to McCormack. 

Ayew is though, undoubtedly IMO, at his best playing wider. I've used 4-4-2 as the basis for the chart purely for simplicity. If McCormack were to get injured for example, we would probably be better off playing two of the remaining forwards/strikers in a more traditional role and using more width, e.g. Adomah. 

Chester has been playing left centre back by the way, not sure what I'm missing there?

Re Chester

sorry my mistake, I'd read RDL as CBR and thought "ok, not seen that yet" then I still had him on my mind for your CBL and commented on him behind Chesters name

• Like 1

With Tshibola and Jedinak already carrying injuries the midfield looks an area of real concern. If a team can control possession in the middle then they control the pace of the game.

Its been our weakness for quite some time and stops us killing games when we need to. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tinker said:

With Tshibola and Jedinak already carrying injuries the midfield looks an area of real concern. If a team can control possession in the middle then they control the pace of the game.

Its been our weakness for quite some time and stops us killing games when we need to. 

Midfield would be my major concern as well. I think the danger is though is that we, or at least I know I do, still at times base my opinions of our squad on the Prem League. I’d imagine that Jedinak, Tshibola, Westwood, Gardner is a better four or as good as 95% of teams in this league. We can look at worse case scenarios and injuries/suspensions but all clubs will get those. Westwood and Gardner is not a bad two at this level if Tshibola and Jedinak are out. Lyden may well begin to feature as well. I am personally not a fan of Bacuna in centre mid.

In other areas I think we are very well set. We have the best forward options in the league for me both in terms of number 10’s and strikers. We still lack depth in natural wide players but they won’t be needed if that isn’t RDM’s preferred style of play. Defensively again that must be the best back line in the league when all fit. Goalkeeper is a slight concern but providing we as fans don’t get on Gollinis back I am hopeful he will come good as long as he can maintain confidence. A defensive unit always takes longer to gel than any other area of the pitch.

I think we are well set. The first 11 is the best in the league possibly all bar Newcastle. The squad is certainly one of the top 3 or 4. RDM now has to get the best out of it.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

First of all I'm not going to criticise anyone at the club for what has been achieved in this window, as our team now is much stronger. All involved have done a great job and Rome wasn't built in a day but there are a few areas of (mild) concern for me. But we've got the January window to address any shortcomings.

Here's my view on the squad

Goalkeeping - I think Gollini will be a good keeper but I would have liked an experienced keeper in there as well. Not necessary as first choice but someone who can be relied on if Gollini needs to be taken out of the firing line. I don't rate Bunn or Steer.

Defence - 95% happy with what we have. If I was being overly picky I would have liked another centre back in and Richards shipped out. Also would have liked to see us buy Rico Henry as I think he will be a top player.

Midfield - My biggest concern. Would have liked a proper replacement for Gana in there and as we apparently tried to recruit Diawara, RDM had a similar concern. Surprised we weren't linked more to Mulumbu as RDM knows him well and he wouldn't have cost that much.  Maybe he did enquire and was rebuffed due to Norwich not wanting to sell to a rival (same with Dorrans maybe who was excellent under RDM at WBA). I also would have liked a more creative attacking player. Morrison was the obvious choice here and I will admit to being disappointed we never looked at him. 

Attack (including wingers) - Our biggest strength IMO but rumours are we also tried to get Rhodes on deadline day as well so maybe the boss isn't still 100% convinced although he may have just wanted cover for the AFCON. On that note Sessengon is available on a free and he won't be at AFCON so worth a look? Still a very talented player even under Pulis and many baggies fans not happy he was released. 

However, it may sound as i'm being critical but I am genuinely pleased with the team and looking forward to seeing how they play together.

UTV

On 31/08/2016 at 17:03, DCJonah said:

He's been much better than Ayew this season and has 2 league goals to Ayew's 0. 

And what offers did we turn down? We just said he wasn't for sale. I'd imagine we'd have done the same with grealish if there was loads of speculation in the press.

It's good that we've got some competition for places and people on the bench who can change a game. For now though, RDM would be mad to bench jack to keep ayew in. 

Lets wait and see who gets dropped first then! No way Ayew is dropped after yesterday. I thought Grealish worked hard enough but was very predictable - slows the game down every time he gets the ball and cuts inside

34 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Lets wait and see who gets dropped first then! No way Ayew is dropped after yesterday. I thought Grealish worked hard enough but was very predictable - slows the game down every time he gets the ball and cuts inside

He was excellent yesterday because he actually had an end product which is something he was failing with before.  

The way we create and attack I don't see anyone being dropped yet. Both played well yesterday. 

I agree. We need a new midfielder, I wonder if we can sort out on the loan market, when does that close for us? Gardner was average yesterday and I don't see it working out for him at Villa unless he is happy being back up all season and then getting sold the moment we (hopefully) go up again (at some point in the near future)

Ayew got both assists yesterday, but both were lucky I thought. One was a late pass when he over stretched and looked to me to be prfering setting up a shooting chance for himself, the other was a poor cross that was only made good by Gestedes huge legs. 

But thats pretty critical for what was IMO our best player yesterday and a guy who got 2 assists, I just dont want to go overboard as he is still not a team player. Look at his reaction to our first going in, and to someooe who is being played out of position to just get in the side somehow. I think a 4-3-3 with McScore behind Gestede and Kodja and Tish, Westwood and Jedinak would be better for us. With Ayew coming off the bench. But for that formation to work we need Amavi back in so we have at least one full back willing to bomb on and cross.

But all this, back to point, means to me, our squad is in good shape as we have options.