Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I couldn't disagree more. His pass percentage yesterday was a reasonably healthy 74% which is above his career average. He has been winning virtually everything in the air (7 yesterday and 12 vs the shit) and he even performed well in a 2 man midfield. He did his job protecting the back 4 and he's bloody good at his job. 

I don't think you're ever going to get much more from him than we are now. Maybe he's just not for you.

Exactly this, his job is to win the second ball, mop up everything that drops from the CBs, sometimes that means just helping it on and getting the ball further away from our goal, sometimes it's a case of boot it up the air and then push everyone out, he can look scrappy at times but that's the role, he hasn't got the get it and give it 5 yards ability that the top players in that role have but IMO that's secondary to the ball winner that we need, haven't had someone who can do that role for a while now

• Like 1

Personally didnt think Mile is needed for the Thailand match.. and at his age.. i would have hoped Ange would leave him like he did with Cahill in the last match. 

It isnt to be..  he will be a miss as hes been slowly finding the form we all knew he was capable of. I think the goal he scored last month for Australia did him wonders. 

Edited by KSV

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If this is as good as he gets, maybe he's not for us.

His performances have improved of late, he has gone from diabolical to meh over the last couple of weeks. The fact that he stayed in the blues half so they couldn't kick off and that assist from Blackburn still don't gloss over the fact he is on an extortionate wage and for the most part is piss poor.

Think Bruce is being quite clever with him in regards to 'resting' him against the next opposition from now on after international duty.

With this in mind, especially after Jan when reinforcements arrive, maybe a decision will have to be made?

16 hours ago, KSV said:

Personally didnt think Mile is needed for the Thailand match.. and at his age.. i would have hoped Ange would leave him like he did with Cahill in the last match. 

It isnt to be..  he will be a miss as hes been slowly finding the form we all knew he was capable of. I think the goal he scored last month for Australia did him wonders. 

Would help if they actually played the qualifiers at the weekend so give players more time to get back to their clubs.

No reason not to, only one round of games in the Asian qualifiers this time.

He's been much better lately, much more like the player I saw at Palace.

32 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think people questioning his passing of late should watch the extended highlights. His range of passing was very good on Saturday, he was involved in virtually everything good shown. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/AVTV/2016/11/05/Aston Villa 21 Blackburn Extended highlights

I think people telling people to watch extended highlights should pay for AVTV subscriptions! :P

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Free with a season ticket. The way most talk with authority on here you have to assume they are holders.

:trollface:

I used to have it to watch preseason games, but eventually found the service so crappy I relinquished it.

Anything involving the Australian captain makes news down here. Probably nothing new for most in this article, but I thought it worth sharing (link)

Roo Radar: Jedinak’s ‘transformation’ at Aston Villa\

HERE’S some great news for Socceroos fans ahead of the World Cup qualifier against Thailand.

Captain Mile Jedinak had his “best game” yet for Aston Villa in a 2-1 win over Blackburn in the Championship, according to Gregg Evans in the Birmingham Mail.

Not only did the midfielder provide a superb pass in behind Blackburn’s defence to assist for Jonathan Kodija’s 70th minute match-winning goal, but he also showed “his confidence is sky high” after an underwhelming start to his Villa career.

“The Australian was immense again for Villa,” wrote Evans.

“Buoyed by his performance in the Second City derby last weekend, clearly his confidence was high.

“It showed as he looked comfortable sitting in front of the back four. Breaking up play, tracking runners, and winning crucial interceptions, Jedinak played a huge part in this important win.

“He has become a key player under Bruce and Villa fans are starting to see why he became such a popular figure at Crystal Palace.”

His manager Steve Bruce said as much after the match.

“He’s played really well in the last couple of games and he’s started playing like the player he knows he is,” said Bruce.

“And the lads around him have helped him do that.

“I isolated him a bit against Wolves but since then he’s done well.”

Jedinak received the best rating of any Villa player (7.5/10) from HITC Sport.

“The 32-year-old Australian battled away in the centre of the park, making six interceptions and seven clearances, while also winning two tackles and a match-leading 11 aerial duels,” according to HITC Sport.

“Further proof that he’s much more effective in a three-man midfield.”

It just shows what a difference some time settling in at a club can make.

Steve Wollaston made note of Jedinak’s “transformation” and how it’s set to continue benefiting Villa.

“You only have to look at the Mile Jedinak transformation to see how a player deemed a ‘waste of money’ by some fans, can suddenly look spot-on in a balanced confident midfield,” wrote Wollaston in the Birmingham Mail.

While Jedinak’s great form will be welcome news to Ange Postecoglou, Bruce won’t be happy to lose the midfielder for Villa’s clash with Brighton.

“Jedinak won’t play, he plays on the Tuesday in Thailand - so how can I expect to make him play on the Friday?” bemoaned Bruce.

“It makes the game just that bit harder, Brighton are a good team who’ve made a wonderful start.”

Villa are on a five match unbeaten run and are 14th on the Championship table

Edited by ozvillafan
Formatting

On 11/8/2016 at 10:15, ozvillafan said:

Anything involving the Australian captain makes news down here. Probably nothing new for most in this article, but I thought it worth sharing (link)

On 11/8/2016 at 10:15, ozvillafan said:

when the fans commented on " a waste of money " they were referring to the standard of his performances at that time......His recent impressive performances are a different kettle of fish altogether.

He is a really important player for us and we need him to be functioning like he is now....long may it continue.

and fair play to Steve Bruce for admitting his error against Wolves.....top man for that.He will get them running through Brick Walls with management like that( Firm but Fair)....Humility can move mountains.

Edited by TRO

Been a few interviews going around at the moment where he his commenting on Villa whilst on international duty. Looks like Bruce has made a big impact with the squad.. a bit more 'togetherness'.. Mile says he has more responsibility now... not sure what he means by that..  but just appeared short of bagging the former manager. 

• Like 1

Aside from the two penalty goals, he was the only one solid in the middle. Best player in a lazy Australian team riddled with poor effort.

How bad was Mooy and Rogic? That's 2 poor games in a row from them, this one in comfortably the worst Australian performance of the Postecoglou era.

Jedinak solid again. 2 penalties taken and a good header from a corner forcing a very good save.

Â