Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Again, if it is true, but would be another reason I'm not bowled over by xia's running of the club.

It would be like Lerner all over again, short term good but long term we suffer disaster strikes 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

It would be like Lerner all over again, short term good but long term we suffer disaster strikes 

Yep. Like with managers, I've seen very little difference as a result of owner change.

A lot of words, a lot of poor players signed and no wins.

8 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Again, if it is true, but would be another reason I'm not bowled over by xia's running of the club.

Wtf do you want?

He hasn't gone and signed him has he?

He's backed a manager who wanted a player. He was willing to shell out £4m on an old dog who looked to be the perfect fit.

How you can criticise him for providing funds is mad. 

• Like 2

Fwiw I blame the people under Xia and Di Matteo for this signing. Xia did his part in providing the funds.

But he is not and should not be involved in finding the players to sign, nor in the contract process. That's what he employed other people to do.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Wtf do you want?

He hasn't gone and signed him has he?

He's backed a manager who wanted a player. He was willing to shell out £4m on an old dog who looked to be the perfect fit.

How you can criticise him for providing funds is mad. 

A championship club, under any circumstances should not be paying players 55k a week.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Fwiw I blame the people under Xia and Di Matteo for this signing. Xia did his part in providing the funds.

But he is not and should not be involved in finding the players to sign, nor in the contract process. That's what he employed other people to do.

Xia and Wyness have been reckless in the summer window. Massive fees and bumper salaries for crap players. The strategy seems to have been to throw money around without any clear plan. This will bite us in the arse when we are still outside the premier league in 2018

• Like 1

While many players haven't performed, I'd be wary of writing them off as "crap" at this early stage. Let's not forget that there have been quite a few players down the years who have had good records prior to signing, played shit while they were here and then gone off and performed elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

A championship club, under any circumstances should not be paying players 55k a week.

Is that what he's on? Righto.

Blame Wyness and RDM for convincing him he was the man we needed.

It's nice to have a chairman willing to back a manager.

I look forward to your grumbling when we're still in the Championship in three years and he pulls the plug on spending.

32 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Wasn't almost every single person on here desperate for him to sign for us?

Suddenly Xia's an idiot for paying him enough to make him come here?

Shows why fans shouldn't be listened to.

I don't think the fans were listened to, were they, in the sense of the signing being driven by fans?  What I saw was people welcoming the signing of the type of player we clearly need.  Unless I've misremembered, there wasn't a lobby from fans to sign him that culminated in his signing, more that once the media revealed we were trying to sign him, a lot of people said "yes please".

There are two issues that seem to be a problem.

First, he's been poor, and seems off the pace.  Bruce's point about the flight from Australia is a fair point to make about Saturday, but not other games.  So I suppose that raises questions about whether he has suddenly become poor, or whether he was declining and perhaps wasn't scouted carefully before being signed; possibly questions about the medical; and possibly issues about fitness training, which is clearly an issue for others as well.

Second, there is the business decision about paying someone that age that amount of money and the apparent impossibility of moving them on.  That has been discussed here before, several times, down the years.  It's even more of a concern now we're in a lower division.

The first is an issue under the control of the playing management, the second the business management side of the club.  Neither is about the fans.

• Like 1

Just now, peterms said:

I don't think the fans were listened to, were they, in the sense of the signing being driven by fans?  What I saw was people welcoming the signing of the type of player we clearly need.  Unless I've misremembered, there wasn't a lobby from fans to sign him that culminated in his signing, more that once the media revealed we were trying to sign him, a lot of people said "yes please".

I personally think that this signing was driven by the fans. Xia's very close to the social media side of things with fan interaction and I think as well as twitter he keeps an eye on places like here as well.

There wasn't a lot of noise about Jedinak until a few people started mentioning him in the transfer speculation thread. Other people started saying 'yes he's the midfield enforcer we need, man's man, big beard etc'. It gained momentum and a few weeks later we'd signed him.

May have been a total coincidence but it really seemed to me that Jedinak was a signing for a the fans. Tony's popular gift. Maybe even a bit of an experiment in crowd sourced wisdom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Yep. Like with managers, I've seen very little difference as a result of owner change.

A lot of words, a lot of poor players signed and no wins.

You're ignoring the most significant part though: Xia backed his manager and Lerner ran us into the ground. They're night and day and you seem to be wilfully ignoring this. 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Is that what he's on? Righto.

Blame Wyness and RDM for convincing him he was the man we needed.

It's nice to have a chairman willing to back a manager.

I look forward to your grumbling when we're still in the Championship in three years and he pulls the plug on spending.

I never grumbled when Lerner pulled the plug.

If we're blaming wyness and RDM, why was there so much blame for Lerner?

32 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

You're ignoring the most significant part though: Xia backed his manager and Lerner ran us into the ground. They're night and day and you seem to be wilfully ignoring this. 

Xia has done no different to what Lerner initially did.

It would be unfair to fully compare the two tenures however since the change Aston villa have continued to go backwards.

I must confess, I am very surprised in his performances to date and I was all for a player like this coming in.

However, I remember my surprise at Ken McNaught and after c20 games.....The rest is history.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I must confess, I am very surprised in his performances to date and I was all for a player like this coming in.

However, I remember my surprise at Ken McNaught and after c20 games.....The rest is history.

This is the thing really. We've all seen what he can and did do for Palace. He hasn't turned to absolute garbage during the summer. He needs to perform better, but the problem lies elsewhere...

56 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I personally think that this signing was driven by the fans. Xia's very close to the social media side of things with fan interaction and I think as well as twitter he keeps an eye on places like here as well.

There wasn't a lot of noise about Jedinak until a few people started mentioning him in the transfer speculation thread. Other people started saying 'yes he's the midfield enforcer we need, man's man, big beard etc'. It gained momentum and a few weeks later we'd signed him.

May have been a total coincidence but it really seemed to me that Jedinak was a signing for a the fans. Tony's popular gift. Maybe even a bit of an experiment in crowd sourced wisdom.

I've just done a quick search.  There was little mention of him until the Mail covered a story that Palace were letting him go.  The comments that followed were in the wake of that.

It looks very much like a pretty standard thing of a club announcing someone can go, then other clubs inquiring, followed by an agreement.

I suppose it's possible that instead of this, Xia monitored social media and fans websites and personally intervened to appease what he saw as the fans' desires, in the spare moments between managing his global businesses.  But really, why look past the commonplace and obvious explanation, especially in the absence of anything to suggest that responding to fans was what drove this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

While many players haven't performed, I'd be wary of writing them off as "crap" at this early stage. Let's not forget that there have been quite a few players down the years who have had good records prior to signing, played shit while they were here and then gone off and performed elsewhere.

Is that not every signing we've made in the past 3-4 years?!

Â