Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

I know my memory isn't what it was - and I recall the disaster v Sheffield  - but did Jedinak not then stand in at CB when Terry had broken his foot and not do too badly at all ? 

Samba started every game up until we lost at Derby when Jedi replaced him and then game after was the Sheffield United debacle

Samba started we won 3, drew 2 and lost 0. we only lost 2 of the 12 games Samba was involved in and one was when Terry got injured

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I know my memory isn't what it was - and I recall the disaster v Sheffield  - but did Jedinak not then stand in at CB when Terry had broken his foot and not do too badly at all ? 

When Terry was out near end of season Jedi came in for him and we won 3 in a row conceding none

He’s had a few decent games in defence, but I don’t want to see him there again. As a central defender, he should be fourth in line to partner Chester behind Axel, Elphick and hopefully a loan defender who’s yet to come in.

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s had a lot of games at CB for us where he has looked absolutely fine. 

He definitely has mistakes in him in that position, unfortunately, but it’s amazing how people only remember the two bad games he’s had playing there. 

Yes - and the only other options are Elphick and Axel T  - I don't see it as the stark raving mad decision that some are claiming. 

• Like 3

Was he that bad? The back pass for the goal wasn't great live, but watching it back a few times it wasn't that under hit and not too bad an angle imo. Obviously it led to a goal so is bad, no question. But Nyland nearly got to it, Chester could have covered as a better angle, and with the ball back to him from BB he didn't have many other options other than pay into touch. He gets away with that back pass and I think his performance would not have been subject to so much severe criticism. 

Just now, jimcohen said:

Was he that bad? The back pass for the goal wasn't great live, but watching it back a few times it wasn't that under hit and not too bad an angle imo. Obviously it led to a goal so is bad, no question. But Nyland nearly got to it, Chester could have covered as a better angle, and with the ball back to him from BB he didn't have many other options other than pay into touch. He gets away with that back pass and I think his performance would not have been subject to so much severe criticism. 

If my memory serves correctly, it was at least the second and maybe even the third poorly weighted backpass from him in the game. He was a disaster.

Just pick Tuanzebe at CB for a couple of games.

If he can't hack it then cancel the loan, we don't need a 5th or 6th RB.

Jedi can fill in at CB as last resort. But only then.

Best case scenario we manage to move him and his massive wages on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimcohen said:

Having been at the match that was one of many awful passes to team mates, that I called in my day, break leg passes. His distribution was truly woeful.

3 hours ago, jimcohen said:

Wasn’t even just his terrible passing. If we aren’t defending by our own box and he gets squared up, he just gets rinsed for pace (as he did late in the second half against Wigan).

Tbh, he wasn’t even as solid in the air as he usually is (which to give him credit, is an area he normally dominates). Maybe the backpass got to him, but he was even losing 50:50 headers in that second half. A truly dire performance from him, no sugar coating it. 

17 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Wasn’t even just his terrible passing. If we aren’t defending by our own box and he gets squared up, he just gets rinsed for pace (as he did late in the second half against Wigan).

Tbh, he wasn’t even as solid in the air as he usually is (which to give him credit, is an area he normally dominates). Maybe the backpass got to him, but he was even losing 50:50 headers in that second half. A truly dire performance from him, no sugar coating it. 

Top 5 Players Arial Battles Won

124.pngMile Jedinak(DC)Aston Villa13
224.pngAxel Tuanzebe(DR)Aston Villa6
324.pngBirkir Bjarnason(MC)Aston Villa5
424.pngJames Chester(DC)Aston Villa5
5194.pngWilliam Grigg(FW)Wigan4
Edited by jimcohen

18 hours ago, Stockport_Villain said:

Having been at the match that was one of many awful passes to team mates, that I called in my day, break leg passes. His distribution was truly woeful.

I was saying to my Dad at the match on Saturday, most of our problems in defense were self inflicted. Wigans best attacks started from us giving possesion away in dangerous areas with bad touches or passes. It wasn't always Jedinak to be fair although he was a big culprit, I remember Birkir taking a heavy touch near the end of the match giving Wigan a chance at getting in on goal. Also watching back the highlights, Wigan caused us big problems with their crosses into the box. I don't feel we dealt with those at all well either in cutting them out or defending the ball in.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jimcohen said:

Top 5 Players Arial Battles Won

124.pngMile Jedinak(DC)Aston Villa13
224.pngAxel Tuanzebe(DR)Aston Villa6
324.pngBirkir Bjarnason(MC)Aston Villa5
424.pngJames Chester(DC)Aston Villa5
5194.pngWilliam Grigg(FW)Wigan4

Do you think he played well then?

Sure he won more headers than anyone else, it’s his job to do that in our system. 

The header he lost that was in my mind as I wrote that originally was in the second half, but isn’t actually registered on whoscored.

Edited by Cizzler

6 hours ago, NeilS said:

I was saying to my Dad at the match on Saturday, most of our problems in defense were self inflicted. Wigans best attacks started from us giving possesion away in dangerous areas with bad touches or passes. It wasn't always Jedinak to be fair although he was a big culprit, I remember Birkir taking a heavy touch near the end of the match giving Wigan a chance at getting in on goal. Also watching back the highlights, Wigan caused us big problems with their crosses into the box. I don't feel we dealt with those at all well either in cutting them out or defending the ball in.

too many unforced errors, in the first 2 games....we need players in and to settle.....and build on the start.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Do you think he played well then?

Sure he won more headers than anyone else, it’s his job to do that in our system. 

The header he lost that was in my mind as I wrote that originally was in the second half, but isn’t actually registered on whoscored.

I thought he was poor. Below his normal, and made worse by being played CB rather than DCM. But I don't think we need to worry. Players have bad games, they wont always be on form, and with our limited options at CB I think he is a fine back up. I just hope Tuanzebe can step up or we get another on loan. BUT I do think his performance was rated worse due to the back pass, that wasn't as bad as most people are making out; and here, I just wanted to make the point that he was very good in the air. 

Â