Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

They play their home games in asia

Bloody pampered modern day footballers. A bit of shelling and they want to play in a different country. 

:trollface:

4 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Question is, does he get into the starting XI whilst the team is performing like this?

I'm not a fan of Whelan. Given their age i imagine we will see quite a bit of rotation between the 2. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Even if he's fit he's pretty much a halfback and won't be able to play in the 4-4-2 we have been using anyway.

He doesn't have the range of passing or engine to do it.

Don't worry about that. Bruce will sadly find a way to shoe horn him in along with Gabby as soon as he can disrupting our settled line up so he can play his favourite(s). 

5 hours ago, thabucks said:

Don't worry about that. Bruce will sadly find a way to shoe horn him in along with Gabby as soon as he can disrupting our settled line up so he can play his favourite(s). 

Bit of a cheap shot. 'Favourite' Gabby was fully fit, according to Bruce, for the Bolton game and didn't even make the matchday squad. 

5 hours ago, thabucks said:

What nonsense.

Gabby is fit now and isn't making the squad.

And Jedinak was one of our best players last season, so it's hardly criminal if he gets back in the team when he's fit, especially as he'd probably replace Whelan who isn't very good.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2017 at 16:09, AshVilla said:

Even if he's fit he's pretty much a halfback and won't be able to play in the 4-4-2 we have been using anyway.

He doesn't have the range of passing or engine to do it.

You are right....but the dilemma at this level is you gain one thing and lose another.....Jed has fine attributes and it clearly makes us more resillient, but yes there is a trade -off.

FWIW

I see him in a 4-2-3-1 and strangely as it seems I would not rule out him and Whelan playing the 2......now i know the first reaction to that will be OMG what a defensive line up....but I don't necessarily see it has to be that way.

If the TEAM play further up the pitch, IF........the 2 ball winners just keep winning the ball and feeding the midfield who in turn keep feeding Kodg......It hinges on the team playing high staying tight to cut out the spaces for the opposition to exploit and squeezing the life out of them.

I am not suggesting it is pretty, but I think it can be effective against teams we do not want to dominate possession.....or teams away we want to keep their crowd quiet.

I think we have hit on a formation of 4-4-2 that gives us a balanced look.....but personally I would not rule out an alternative particularly away from home against a decent side.

On 9/27/2017 at 13:20, carewjust4u said:

Question is, does he get into the starting XI whilst the team is performing like this?

very good question.

I think he will be introduced as the need takes it.

• To protect a lead to secure a win
  • To quell and onslaught that we are struggling with

Unfortunately at our level rarely do players have ALL the attributes that are commensurate with a top player....this is where judgment comes in with a splash of lady luck.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

You are right....but the dilemma at this level is you gain one thing and lose another.....Jed has fine attributes and it clearly makes us more resillient, but yes there is a trade -off.

FWIW

I see him in a 4-2-3-1 and strangely as it seems I would not rule out him and Whelan playing the 2......now i know the first reaction to that will be OMG what a defensive line up....but I don't necessarily see it has to be that way.

If the TEAM play further up the pitch, IF........the 2 ball winners just keep winning the ball and feeding the midfield who in turn keep feeding Kodg......It hinges on the team playing high staying tight to cut out the spaces for the opposition to exploit and squeezing the life out of them.

I am not suggesting it is pretty, but I think it can be effective against teams we do not want to dominate possession.....or teams away we want to keep their crowd quiet.

I think we have hit on a formation of 4-4-2 that gives us a balanced look.....but personally I would not rule out an alternative particularly away from home against a decent side.

I din't think 4-4-2 is going to work at Wolves. I'd go 4-2-3-1 personally

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

I din't think 4-4-2 is going to work at Wolves. I'd go 4-2-3-1 personally

So would I.....but SB needs to have a feel for the players ability to execute it.

I can understand those fans who say just go for it.....why should we be afraid of them?, but its one of them......do you or don't you.

I want to win every game... thats my stance.....but this one, I don't want to lose first.

Edited by TRO

40 minutes ago, villa89 said:

You could say the exact same about Whelan.

I agree.

Unless they are world class, DM's have a habit of falling in to that category.

There prime aim is break up play and win the ball to feed the AM's/strikers.....if they can pass and play its a bonus.

Makalele and Matthaus are rare breeds, but ideally thats what you would want.

Edited by TRO

Â