Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

I think something that is being overlooked is the Championship's common style of punting it long for the flick on, which is something that Jedinak stops 10 times out of 10. 

I'm all about playing beautiful free-flowing attacking football, but the importance of stopping your opponents from playing their "game" is equally as important.

I do get the impression that claim is a little slow to be appreciated at times......However it must be achieved with reasonable deployment of bodies.

You cannot have everyone dedicated to that function or else you end up like last season, everyone and his grandmother sitting too deep.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2017 at 19:54, TrentVilla said:

That depends on Bruce and his 'tactics' he didn't allow them to do so last season.

sometimes tactics are forced upon you by the abilities (or lacking abilities) of your players as opposed to a cosmetic choice.

I am not saying he is perfect, but IMO and easy target for that claim.

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

sometimes tactics are forced upon you by the abilities (or lacking abilities) of your players as opposed to a cosmetic choice.

I am not saying he is perfect, but IMO and easy target for that claim.

Sometimes they are, sure.

Sometimes they're imposed by a defensively-minded manager who overlooks the abilities of their players, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

We really need to look to replace this guy or at least someone to rotate with him. Someone who has more energy, track back faster a snail and can pass the ball. He was away on international duty a lot and those are the games we really suffered as we have no other replacement. 

I would assume thats why we have had the links with midfielders of similar ilk no??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I do get the impression that claim is a little slow to be appreciated at times......However it must be achieved with reasonable deployment of bodies.

You cannot have everyone dedicated to that function or else you end up like last season, everyone and his grandmother sitting too deep.

My point exactly, it's a fine balancing act. There's a reason Furgeson stressed the importance of an cohesive and effective defence in winning titles...defending is effectively just stopping the other team's tactics from being implemented. Look at how many titles Jose has earned using "defensive tactics". But like you said, you need to find the balance between defensive discipline and attacking creativity in the way you set up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

My point exactly, it's a fine balancing act. There's a reason Furgeson stressed the importance of an cohesive and effective defence in winning titles...defending is effectively just stopping the other team's tactics from being implemented. Look at how many titles Jose has earned using "defensive tactics". But like you said, you need to find the balance between defensive discipline and attacking creativity in the way you set up.

Interesting, recently when asked about defeats under Fergie........Gary Neville said " we never blamed the manager, we just looked at ourselves"

perhaps a sensible option, under the circumstances.:)

Didn't remember Ron getting much criticism from the fans either, even in the formative days.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Sometimes they're imposed by a defensively-minded manager who overlooks the abilities of their players, though.

there lies the opinion;)

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm interested to know why you think Steve has overlooked any player's ability.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

I'm interested to know why you think Steve has overlooked any player's ability.

Mostly because some of the more creative midfielders in the league suddenly became defensive and sat on top of the defence. 

I think (and definitely hope!) he'll be sorting that over the summer though. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't be adverse to Jedi leaving. I've said it before, but despite how well he played on a personal level, and we did get results with him in the team. We played better football without him. Look at the Brighton game as an example. When Jedi plays, Lansbury has to sit back next to him, as his legs have gone. Wouldn't be surprised if Bruce sees this. Wasn't he linked to a move when Bruce first took over?

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I wouldn't be adverse to Jedi leaving. I've said it before, but despite how well he played on a personal level, and we did get results with him in the team. We played better football without him. Look at the Brighton game as an example. When Jedi plays, Lansbury has to sit back next to him, as his legs have gone. Wouldn't be surprised if Bruce sees this. Wasn't he linked to a move when Bruce first took over?

Didn't we only win 1 (or close to) game without jedinak in the team?

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bobzy said:

Mostly because some of the more creative midfielders in the league suddenly became defensive and sat on top of the defence. 

I think (and definitely hope!) he'll be sorting that over the summer though. 

It's a fair observation...I think everyone is waiting to see what the team will look like after a cohesive and organised pre season. 

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If this "manager" is still in charge I expect to see him partnered with Whelan in front of back 4

I am not trying to be argumentative, just analytical and searching for an answer....but when we did have a manager ( RDM) playing attacking football we could not see a game out and captured one win in 11.

I don't think it is necessarily playing any kind of style of football.....what ever combination we choose the players are not doing the basics.....I see the games and cringe at much of what i see....i would love to stop the game ( in my dreams) and say hey.....what do you think that was, what do you think you are doing.

I cannot realistically defend him after the last 2 league games, because he has to take the responsibility.....but during his after match interview he looked like a man that who is being let down.

He openly said it was rubbish.....when other managers in the past have defended that rubbish and made dismissive comments....Steve Bruce has never done that.....he knows its garbage, but evidently can't change it despite the personnel changes.....he now looks lost to know how to get them to respond.

I don't think he is guilty of not seeing what is wrong.....I think he is guilty of not being able to get the players to do the basic things and fix it.

Â