Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, John said:

We struggle without Jedinak and by having him in front of the defence that will give Lansbury and Hourihane the freedom to get forward. 

That depends on Bruce and his 'tactics' he didn't allow them to do so last season.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Bang on the money for me . Also the addition of JT will allow the defence to push a few yards further up and allow us to play more on the front foot .

JT will have us further back so as not to be exposed for pace I'd have thought. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

JT will have us further back so as not to be exposed for pace I'd have thought. 

Can't see that - he is very comfortable in possession and a decent footballer , hid reading of the game is excellent too - I expect villa to be far more on the front foot next season and that will allow hourihane and Lansbury more freedom .

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

That depends on Bruce and his 'tactics' he didn't allow them to do so last season.

Agreed but I trust he will feel he has the players and the time to organise them pre-season so that he can let Lansbury and Hourihane get forward this season because that is their strength and dropping deep is not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Can't see that - he is very comfortable in possession and a decent footballer , hid reading of the game is excellent too - I expect villa to be far more on the front foot next season and that will allow hourihane and Lansbury more freedom .

Doesn't matter how well he reads the game if he's too slow to catch a striker when a balls knocked over the top.

It would be suicidal to play a high defensive line with Terry in there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Agreed but I trust he will feel he has the players and the time to organise them pre-season so that he can let Lansbury and Hourihane get forward this season because that is their strength and dropping deep is not. 

And for some reason he signed two players and decided to not play to their strengths. Even picking Bacuna over hourihane at times. 

I hope it will be different this year. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And for some reason he signed two players and decided to not play to their strengths. Even picking Bacuna over hourihane at times. 

I hope it will be different this year. 

I have to admit that selecting Bacuna over anyone is difficult to condone. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Doesn't matter how well he reads the game if he's too slow to catch a striker when a balls knocked over the top.

It would be suicidal to play a high defensive line with Terry in there. 

I don't think he's as slow as you seem to think - depends what you mean by a high defensive line I suppose - I don't suggest we push up towards the halfway line but certainly won't want us sitting as deep as last season as it invites pressure - we should be the ones on the front foot taking the game to the opposition- too many times last season we played like frightened rabbits .

A lot may be down to confidence and organisation which JT brings in abundance. Time will tell.

Edited by Eastie

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I don't think he's as slow as you seem to think - depends what you mean by a high defensive line I suppose - I don't suggest we push up towards the halfway line but certainly won't want us sitting as deep as last season as it invites pressure - we should be the ones on the front foot taking the game to the opposition- too many times last season we played like frightened rabbits .

John Terry is not the manager, nothing will change from a tactical point of view if JT comes in for NB. If Bruce doesn't want his midfielders pushing up then they cant push up. 

You're being disrespectful to Baker if you think everyone was sitting deep last season because none of the players trusted him.  

16 minutes ago, Junxs said:

John Terry is not the manager, nothing will change from a tactical point of view if JT comes in for NB. If Bruce doesn't want his midfielders pushing up then they cant push up. 

You're being disrespectful to Baker if you think everyone was sitting deep last season because none of the players trusted him.  

Bruce  many times expressed his frustration that the players were not following the plan and make clear in many interviews that's not what he sends them out to do - he expressed the need to play on the front foot - it's not a question of baker not being trusted but the confidence and organisation of JT will see us perform much better in my opinion - its a game of opinions , time will tell but I think we will see a far better villa this season and much better football

until the season gets under way we will not know - another advantage of Terry is he's a ball playing centre back - he started as a midfielder as a kid and is comfortable in possession unlike the hoof football we see from Baker .

Regarding jedinak my worry with him is that his passing is his weakness and we need decent cover for him .

Edited by Eastie

33 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Bruce  many times expressed his frustration that the players were not following the plan and make clear in many interviews that's not what he sends them out to do - he expressed the need to play on the front foot - it's not a question of baker not being trusted but the confidence and organisation of JT will see us perform much better in my opinion - its a game of opinions , time will tell but I think we will see a far better villa this season and much better football

until the season gets under way we will not know - another advantage of Terry is he's a ball playing centre back - he started as a midfielder as a kid and is comfortable in possession unlike the hoof football we see from Baker .

Regarding jedinak my worry with him is that his passing is his weakness and we need decent cover for him .

I think you're giving John Terry far too much credit if you think single handedly his introduction to the team will transform the way we play. Anyway this is the Jedinak thread so I will leave it at that. 

Confidence is the key - if the team starts to play with confidence the difference can be huge - jedinak is very important to this side as well , although his passing is a worry his presence and tackling are a big asset to us .

• Like 1

Not knocking Jedinak's contribution last season, but if we're going to get promoted we need to be more positive. 

Last season he was effectively a 5th defender and offered very little going forward. Granted that's not his game but there in lies the issue. We need players who can both get up and down the pitch. For me that means Lansbury and Hourihane.

He was great last season and arguably held the team together after the squad overhaul, but can't see a starting place for him next season

• Like 2

On 4/25/2017 at 18:30, av1 said:

Yep i agree.

I've been critical of Jedinak, but in hindsight that is probably Borne out of my frustration with our setup. 

When you look at teams that play with a dedicated defensive midfielder, There is normally 2 different styles.

i) The guy that dictates play, your Pirlo, Carrick, Huddlestone etc. Now lets cut to the chase, Jedinak can't pass a ball, so this isn't what he's there for.

ii) The destroyer. The guy that breaks up play and protects his defence. Now that sounds about right, Jedinak is great at all that.

However, generally a destroyer is there facilitate a attacking 3 infront of him, who all support the lone striker. This is where our problems begin, Bruce doesn't play like that. Take Sunday for instance. Against a shit sha side, he had Lansbury and Bacuna in there with Jedinak, neither really offered anything offensively, so Hogan was isolated and for periods of the game, certainly the second half, blues were on top. 

Now i have read comments on here suggesting that justified Jedinaks inclusion, that without him we may have conceded. I however would argue that Jedinaks inclusion, in a midfield of Lansbury and Bacuna is the very reason we was put under so much pressure in the first place. 

Now for me there is 2 options. Push Lansbury 20 yards further forward (he stats suggest he regularly got forward for Forest) and let Jedinak be the sole "destroyer", or drop Jedinak and have Lansbury as the deep player. He puts himself about just as much, and has a far superior range of passing. 

This all sounds again like I'm having a dig at MJ, I'm not really, i can see what the guy could offer in a properly set up midfield. Sadly, Bruce hasn't got a properly set up midfield because he wants every one of them to sit deep. 

An Interesting resume, where I beg to differ, I don't think Steve Bruce wants the team to sit deep, in the context that that is his way.....Its a necessity derived from the players we have got and the abilities they offer to the overall.

You are right in your assessment of Jed.....but I see very little evidence of other midfield players who find winning the ball back naturally, they kind of have a go a bit hit and miss.....this tends to lose you ground and we start slipping back, that is the natural tendency......we then go deep.

When we then launch a sortie....its from too deep and we become an easy target for their " ball winners"

Midfield players first and foremost have to stand their ground and impose themselves.....its all very well suggesting, we out pass teams, but when we lose the ball it all goes to pot and we lose control.

No one wants to see free flowing football more than me, but you have to WIN the right to do that.....it doesn't just land in you lap.....and you have to have midfielders who can win you that right.

I don't want to harp on about annus Horribilus, but despite me being happy with the signing of Hourihane & Lansbury, I did not see them readily winning the ball back when it was lost last season.

Going in to this season my biggest concern is what we do when we lose the ball......I am hoping that we improve in that area and that JT will have an influence, but I have to say, I was rather hoping we could bring one in or Lansbury or Hourihane improve at it.....We have to win it back higher up the pitch......and I am sure that is what Steve Bruce wants.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, withes_shin said:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/07/14/press-talk-14-07-17

This is news out of the blue, didn't know Mile was one of the ones we were looking to sell

He has 2 years left on a reported 40k+ salary. Unlesss he wants to get paid in magic beans he is going nowhere, especially not QPR.

That is quite possibly the worst made up rumour I have seen in a long time.

I think something that is being overlooked is the Championship's common style of punting it long for the flick on, which is something that Jedinak stops 10 times out of 10. 

I'm all about playing beautiful free-flowing attacking football, but the importance of stopping your opponents from playing their "game" is equally as important.

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 2

We really need to look to replace this guy or at least someone to rotate with him. Someone who has more energy, track back faster a snail and can pass the ball. He was away on international duty a lot and those are the games we really suffered as we have no other replacement. 

I'd be delighted if we sold him tbh.

For one I don't rate him, I think he's too limited and poor with the ball.

Secondly it would indicate that we are to move away from the way we played last season, and that is vital.

Doubt there's anything in it thou.

Â