Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Rotherham

limpid

4 hours ago, Harry said:

And I missed the game:(

Mind you the weather is fabulous in Bournemouth:)

But I'm back for the next home game:):)

Good, going to Bournemouth tomorrow Harry, 

I think the quick turnaround will suit us after this performance. Be great for confidence to go to derby next Saturday with 6 points. Huddersfield be a tougher nut to crack than Rotherham though. Wagner is a good manager. They aren't spectacular, but very compact .

Great day. There was an intense atmosphere in the stadium. Perhaps filling the other tiers, whilst leaving the top tier of the trinity shut, is a good thing for the atmosphere. 

As said before, we were excellent. We will play worse teams than Rotherham too this year it is worth noting. Gestede and Ayew were top quality. Bacuna also is doing the right things to get the fans back on side. 

Special mention to Lee Camp for the brave colour he wore in goal considering the name on the back of his jersey.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Villanun said:

Saw the highlights on 5 (such as they were ) so all I can really comment on is the goals, but they were three very welcome bits of class - especially Gresford's, which showed some lovely control. And who would have thought Gestede had that much movement in him? Top stuff, more of the same please.

#GresfordIsFree

"It was only Rotherham" - which is true, they were very poor IMO. With that said, I don't think McCormack is at full fitness and we're still feeling our way in to the league and confidence will still be brittle, so there's certainly room for improvement. But at the same time, Rotherham are still a Championship team and a 3-0 scoreline flattered them. With a bit more confidence and if we were a bit more sharp, you could've easily seen a 5-0 and it wouldn't have flattered us at all.

I imagine Amavi will have a big part to play this season. We'll almost certainly be getting some more bodies in midfield and Adama Traore in this league is an exciting thought. That's on top of some of the very good stuff we saw today.

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

"It was only Rotherham" - which is true, they were very poor IMO. With that said, I don't think McCormack is at full fitness and we're still feeling our way in to the league and confidence will still be brittle, so there's certainly room for improvement. But at the same time, Rotherham are still a Championship team and a 3-0 scoreline flattered them. With a bit more confidence and if we were a bit more sharp, you could've easily seen a 5-0 and it wouldn't have flattered us at all.

I imagine Amavi will have a big part to play this season. We'll almost certainly be getting some more bodies in midfield and Adama Traore in this league is an exciting thought. That's on top of some of the very good stuff we saw today.

Although it's only the highlights I saw, even that made it seem like we had some brilliant passages of play, with confidence flowing back, the players getting up to full fitness and gelling, in addition to the imminent arrivals and I think we are looking really good. The ones who have just come in already look to be quality!

Going back to the pies, I was a bit overenthusiastic in retrospect, probably just because they were different.

It was very tasty, but the structural integrity of the pastry was worrying. I found a review of Phat pies at football grounds on pierate.co.uk where they were very critical of the pastry.

Be interesting to see what others think.

• Like 3

I can never be bothered to queue for a pie, does my head in leaving 5 mins before half time and not getting back til after kick off. At least in the Holte upper anyway. 

I much prefer a nice fat double cheeseburger from the burger van on the way in, maybe followed (immediately) by a big hot dog. 

• Like 1

I still can't quite believe the sense of elation at what happened on Saturday down at Villa Park. Considering that it was 'only' Rotherham, it was a good gate, and although they were very silent from start to finish, they actually brought a few.

Good atmosphere from the Villa fans, a warm welcome for Dr Xia, including that second half wave to the crowd from the Directors Box. OBE has already done a good job of purveying the game and player ratings, but one special mention for Tommy Elphick. He looks so committed to the cause it is so refreshing. Just how a captain should be. Good rapport with the crowd, and visually making positive comments of encouragement and positional tips to the team mates around him. I love this guy.

I was so glad to find that my steward in the Holte End was not made redundant - there was quite a bit of fear at the end of last season.

My good friend's lad made his first competitive appearance as a ball boy, in the Holte/Trinity corner - well done lad...

Now come on... let's put Huddersfield to the sword next. Already 3 points ahead of the favourites. Let's go Villa, let's go...

All this mildly tempered by a link on the BBC Sport Football Gossip section linking Benteke with Albion! WT actual F?

Edited by Raver50032
sausage fingers
  • Like 1

Very happy and relieved to get this win, and for it to be a good positive scoreline to boot. Before the game I would have taken a flukey 1-0 with the goal ricocheting in off Gestede's backside, so to win comfortably with a clean sheet was a nice welcome surprise. Hopefully the solid display at the back is a sign of things to come and can continue throughout the season. It just goes to show that a couple of decent and vocal centre backs can make all the difference at the back and give a solid platform for the midfield and forwards to work from.

On 14 August 2016 at 14:50, Lichfield Dean said:

Going back to the pies, I was a bit overenthusiastic in retrospect, probably just because they were different.

It was very tasty, but the structural integrity of the pastry was worrying. I found a review of Phat pies at football grounds on pierate.co.uk where they were very critical of the pastry.

Be interesting to see what others think.

I decided to treat myself to a chicken balti pie on Saturday, i originally went for the pulled pork dog, only to find, to my disappointment, they had no pulled pork. I wanted something new and exciting to get me into the season, and i thought the new the was a suitable replacement to fill that void.

The pastry was much thicker, and the pie, overall, was much smaller than i am accustomed to. It was served to me in a cardboard tray as opposed to the foil tin one would expect. The filling itself was less balti-like and more tomatoey than previous editions. I was left a little dissatisfied and craving something more, maybe chips and curry sauce, but i managed to refrain.

If i were to score the pie, i'd give it 6/10. Distinctly average...

For once I actually enjoyed a nice stress free game at Villa in which we won. Felt like that hasn't happened for years.  It was a routine win versus one of the poorest teams in the division, now we must know premier league fans after beating us at home for the last 4 years lol. There was organisation, a bit of skill, and even some movement off the ball. Wowsers.

I thought Aaron Tshibola had a excellent home debut, and it is good to see Grealish playing well for us again. Even Bacuna looked decent.  On the negative side  Cissokho still worries me and Gollini flapped at a few crossers.  Lets not get too carried away but that felt like a huge weight of the shoulders by getting that thoroughly deserved first win of the season.

Â