James Chester

KJT123

Not good at all.

Fitness maybe to blame, but it wasn't like he was hobbling around. He was losing the ball playing hesitant passes and wandering forward using up his own space. Struggled as usual against long balls.

Axel wasn't that good but he was comfortably the better centre half today.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fit or not he's been doing mistakes like this all season! No excuses! Not good enough

Their first goal today came from some diabolical play from Chester where he strolled forwards with the ball at his feet then just rolled it straight to the Blues player in front of him. 

Nothing to do with fitness just really really poor play. 

He and Whelan and Hourihane gave the ball away cheaply so many times today, it was our poor passing which made them look half decent. 

52 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Needs an experienced partner who's in charge.

He's 29, has over 300 professional appearances and over 30 caps for Wales, he should have enough confidence in his game and leadership skills to not need an 'experienced' player next to him, he's hardly a young centre half who is breaking through into the first team.

On the one hand, he was poor today particularly on and with the ball. On the other he clearly wasn’t 100% fit and hasn’t trained. On balance I’m pleased he was out there for us even if he gave us a few concerns I doubt we would have won without him.

That said I wasn’t particularly impressed with him pre Terry and haven’t been post Terry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's 29, has over 300 professional appearances and over 30 caps for Wales, he should have enough confidence in his game and leadership skills to not need an 'experienced' player next to him, he's hardly a young centre half who is breaking through into the first team.

Absolutely. But he does need one. Unfortunately.

Our defense is still unbalanced. The strategy must be to aim for 100 % possession. That way we'll win games.

I am conflicted. I've long thought Chester is a decent CB but not great, he has several limitations and always makes me nervous when he has the ball at his feet and a striker is within ten metres 

However I can't help but love the guy, his passion for the shirt and professionalism as well as his celebrations when we score are great and can't help but think he really is a much loved captain in the dressing room.

We will need to replace him in future if we go up, but as well as I understand this is necessary, it will be a sad day for me

Edited by ramshackler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Their first goal today came from some diabolical play from Chester where he strolled forwards with the ball at his feet then just rolled it straight to the Blues player in front of him. 

He actually completely scuffed it....topped the ball instead of sticking his foot through it and it rolled to the Blues player

He looked very nervous on the ball yesterday, like he didn't want to have it which is a problem when he's under orders to play it out from the back every time. 

A mitigating factor though I thought he was left stranded a few times when team mates didn't offer a simple option, Taylor in particular. 

Â