James Chester

KJT123

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He has not played a single minute in the league this season. Clearly Engels isn't ostracized. We'll be going back to 433 when McGinn back most likely

Should we need him, there should be recall, and I'm sure you there will be. He'd have come on the last 3 or 4 league games if we got an injury! Not like he's farting round in the U23s.

We'll only be going back to 433 if we go on a severe losing streak. Can't wait to see McGinn in this role, right up his street.

He was our standout player in what was arguably one of the most depressing seaons I have ever witnessed being a Villa fan...
Sacrificed the longevity of his career because Steve Bruce asked him to and we needed him...

I'll always love James Chester...

What a guy!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Can't argue what he served to the club.

He deserves a to be within legend status in my opinion solely for the fact what he put himself through in order to enable us to survive at that time! 

Keeping one eye on the drop, I believe it would be good to have him for that league and I think he would agree a 1 year deal to stay with us if we were to go back down.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Can't argue what he served to the club.

He deserves a to be within legend status in my opinion solely for the fact what he put himself through in order to enable us to survive at that time! 

Keeping one eye on the drop, I believe it would be good to have him for that league and I think he would agree a 1 year deal to stay with us if we were to go back down.

I think that is the intention and why we have extended his contract until the end of the season should we drop we will bring him back. 

I think its crazy that  we are letting Chezzy go. He would be ideal for us again in the Championship now he is fit again. A few seasons ago we could have got about 12 million for him, now we have let his contract run down so he can leave on a free. Other than Mings I think he is our best central defender still on the books. I am not sold on Hause, Konsa or Engels.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think its crazy that  we are letting Chezzy go. He would be ideal for us again in the Championship now he is fit again. A few seasons ago we could have got about 12 million for him, now we have let his contract run down so he can leave on a free. Other than Mings I think he is our best central defender still on the books. I am not sold on Hause, Konsa or Engels.

Will be replaced my money ball signings that are half as good but will "double in value" in 2 years. Like Engels and Trez and Hause.  £20m worth all signings we can agree are worth in today's market about £9m

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I thought we extended his contract to the end of the season and we can extend it again if we go down. 

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I thought we extended his contract to the end of the season and we can extend it again if we go down. 

Is Chester going to wait around to see what we are doing? I imagine he has got a deal lined up elsewhere. He cannot wait on us to decide if we want him  

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Is Chester going to wait around to see what we are doing? I imagine he has got a deal lined up elsewhere. He cannot wait on us to decide if we want him  

Yeah but I thought the efl gave teams the ability to extend contracts until the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah but I thought the efl gave teams the ability to extend contracts until the end of the season. 

We have but I expect he is free to discuss a deal elsewhere now. Not sure on the rules but he final month of his deal so you can talk to whoever you want.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

When I checked pre lockdown Stoke fans seemed to think he'd been an absolute disaster for them.

Considering what we're seeing of McGinn now, is it so outrageous to think Chester's accumulated injuries mean he's simply not up to it any more?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look on a Stoke forum and they don't seem happy with at all, just come on against Leeds and they've conceded three goals in seventeen minutes, from the comments sounds like it's not just today that he's been poor for them either. Shame what happened to him, if he can't get back to his old self in time for next season maybe we will offer him a coaching role.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 11:04, Sam-AVFC said:

When I checked pre lockdown Stoke fans seemed to think he'd been an absolute disaster for them.

Considering what we're seeing of McGinn now, is it so outrageous to think Chester's accumulated injuries mean he's simply not up to it any more?

We clearly though that in pre season which makes it mental we didn't sign a CB over 26 to give that experience on the pitch he would give (we clearly thought he could at least be kept to contribute off the pitch which wasn't a bad idea given what we lost in the summer). His game v Liverpool under 12s was obviously a farewell given we subbed him off at 4 nil.

Yes been terrible for Stoke so far according to the Oatcake forum but then Stoke are in a real mess, that squad should be nowhere near the championship bottom 3.

Edit: Does he still get called up by Wales? I can't believe he'd just retire with euros next summer. He's still fit enough to play championship although not to his previously consistant standards.

Edited by VillaChris

• 1 month later...

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2020/08/10/chester-villa-stoke

James Chester today moves on with the best wishes of everyone at Aston Villa. 

Our former captain has signed for Stoke City after spending the second half of last season on loan at the Championship club.  

Chester became a huge fans’ favourite during his time at Villa Park, racking up 126 appearances in all competitions. 

He is a former Supporters’ Player of the Year winner and showed his dedication to the cause by playing through the pain barrier in the year the club won promotion to the Premier League.  

His last appearance at Villa Park came against Liverpool last December, with his final outing in claret and blue coming at Fulham in the FA Cup. 

Chester leaves the club today as a hugely popular player both in the dressing room and in the stands.

Thanks for everything Ches - you'll be remembered fondly by most at the club IMO.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
Good to see Ches signing!
  • Like 4

Good from the club as well, rarely a released player gets a mention when they join a new club. 

I said before I wasn't a huge fan a little overrated by some but he will always have my highest respect. He helped bring a level of professionalism that was lacking for so long and never complained when an idiot left him exposed as our only centre back when he was carrying an injury. 

Â