James Chester

KJT123

12 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

That article is really touching.  Always liked Chester, pretty solid and he seems like a very decent chap.

Hope he can get a few apps before the season is out :) 

All the best Chezzy! 

He's the antithesis of the modern footballer in my books, genuine person wio put his body on the line for us. Zero arrogance, too man. And an accomplished defender to boot. 

• Like 1

I can see him being involved v Norwich.

Issues are I doubt his knee will hold up to premier league intensity. It's completely different playing a bunch of kids in league cup.

Another is for all his good games for us he's never struck me as a number one CB. One that heads it away, kicks it away and generally has an air of authority about him.

JC's best games for us have always been alongside a Baker or John Terry type who can head it away all game long and Chester will drop off and sweep up behind.

Can't see him being a good combination with any of the others bar Mings who fits that number one CB bill.

Expecting him to come in and our defence to start keeping clean sheets again is asking a bit too much I think but gambles usually happen in desperate times and we're at that point now.

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

We might need him now. We need a leader.

Was thinking the same. I don’t have a problem with any of our CB’s as individual players but other than Mings, I don’t see any leadership or drive. 

I’m not convinced his fitness is good for 90 minutes in PL though as yet and you wouldn’t generally start a CB you don’t expect to see out 90 minutes. Expect he plays in the FA Cup next.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Give our current crisis should we not be considering chester or does that tell us all we need to know?

No not for me, I think providing we don't leave ourselves short we should accept any offer that comes in for him in Jan or just release him let him go off as a free agent. He'd improve a lot of mid to low table championship clubs, and I'm sure he will still have Wales ambitions.

Shame to see Chester not getting any love but he was our man of the match yesterday, he looked extremely composed on the ball and he didn't put a foot wrong defensively and made it look effortless. Looked a lot more competent than Engels next to him.

Nice to see him back in the shirt and playing well.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

On 31/12/2019 at 11:52, AVTuco said:

Chester in with Konsa would be my choice. Only if Chester is ok obviously.

aerially, I woul be concerned, right now I think Engels is struggling for whatever reason.

I would have one of those 2  you mention with Mings and Hause

6 hours ago, TRO said:

aerially, I woul be concerned, right now I think Engels is struggling for whatever reason.

I would have one of those 2  you mention with Mings and Hause

You're right, we have enough problems in the air as is. Bur I'm sure Chester would bag a couple from corners.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a time and day for everyone. I respect Chester more than any other Villa player I can remember in recent times. A true professional, but I don't think he's PL quality anymore, if he ever was. 

If he moves on, best of luck. 

Â