James Chester

KJT123

Aston Villa in talks with James Chester after bid is accepted by West Brom

Aston Villa are closing in on West Bromwich Albion's James Chester.

Villa are believed to have had a bid accepted for the Wales international defender and hope to push through a deal in the next few days, subject to a successful medical and the completion of personal terms.

Roberto Di Matteo admitted after last night's EFL Cup defeat to Luton Town that more reinforcements and a defensive improvement were needed quickly.

Chester, who has struggled for first team opportunities at The Hawthorns, since joining from Hull City for £8 million last summer, fits the bill.

The 27-year-old centre-half has experience of the Championship and played a vital part in Wales' march to the semi finals of Euro 2016 last month.

Chester made the most challenges and interceptions of any players in the tournament - 36.

Villa are in the market for a new central defender after selling Ciaran Clark to Newcastle and telling Baggies old boy Joleon Lescott to look for a new club.

If the deal goes through, the prospect of regular football will have been a major factor in convincing Chester to drop down a division despite rumoured interest from Premier League clubs, including Middlesbrough.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-update-aston-villa-talks-11735022

In talks 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-update-aston-villa-talks-11735022

Aston Villa are closing in on West Bromwich Albion's James Chester.

Villa are believed to have had a bid accepted for the Wales international defender and hope to push through a deal in the next few days, subject to a successful medical and the completion of personal terms.

Roberto Di Matteo admitted after last night's EFL Cup defeat to Luton Town that more reinforcements and a defensive improvement were needed quickly.

Chester, who has struggled for first team opportunities at The Hawthorns, since joining from Hull City for £8 million last summer, fits the bill.

IMO, I liked Chester when he was in his youth. As long as he forces the **** out of the team,  albeit temporarily. Only did poorly at West Brom as Pulis played him at RB (Sounds slightly familiar...)

1 minute ago, Phumfeinz said:

Don't know much about him at all, but his name is uninspiring so I'm completely underwhelmed.

I heard he can chest the ball pretty well. :trollface:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I'm a better option than Richards

My wife is a better option then Richards to be honest, she may be 35 weeks pregnant but can still move faster then that clown!

Â