James Chester

KJT123

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is he still injured or what. Wales probably would have called him up if he was half fit. Neil Taylor got a call up

working his way to fitness.

cant see him playing in anything other than the cup, and prob not even then tbh, maybe as a swan song or something.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Was glad that he got on the bench last night . Think if we were more ahead he would’ve got 10 minutes. Depending on the fa cup draw may be one the last times he has a chance of playing for us

We owe him a lot. If only we had a manager who didn't sell off most of our defence meaning James had to play through an injury, it's awful.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, villalad21 said:

Injury? Chester's been in full training for weeks.

He's low in the pecking order, that's it.

I have no axe to grind with him....but felt when he was in his pomp with us, he was not good enough.

Problem is, when you win 24 games in a season, its hard to prove.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have no axe to grind with him....but felt when he was in his pomp with us, he was not good enough.

Not fitting in with DS either.

Chester is a so called "hoofer" and will thrive in a Dyche, Hodgson etc teams.

DS really want ball playing defenders and Chester is not that.

2 minutes ago, privateer said:

He was on the bench in at least one of the last two games, wasn't he?

Edit: He was on the bench for Wolves 10th Nov but not against the Barcodes.

But is he fit, or is it a Leadly King sort of deal.

Be interesting to get a bit more info as it's been quoted that it might be a permanent issue for him with his knee. That he can play, but there will always be an issue.

If he's on the bench he's fit.

Could well not play for us again and imagine he'll get released in the summer as I assume his contract will be up then.

Edit: Maybe could even leave as soon as Jan as guess he might still want to get into Welsh squad for euro 2020.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Aside from Jack he was Comfortably our best player the season before last. He picked up a devastating injury and wasn't himself before he was ruled out for the rest of the season. We would not have gone up without his commitment and we need to honour that commitment and let him stay with us for a reasonable amount of time probably till he is 34 (when most centre halves stop being good enough) and take care of a man who should be a villa hero. 

Contract is up in June we need to let him go in January so he can play some football and try to make the Wales squad, I like him but he doesn't fit in with what we are building and deserves to be playing somewhere not in our u23's.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Aside from Jack he was Comfortably our best player the season before last. He picked up a devastating injury and wasn't himself before he was ruled out for the rest of the season. We would not have gone up without his commitment and we need to honour that commitment and let him stay with us for a reasonable amount of time probably till he is 34 (when most centre halves stop being good enough) and take care of a man who should be a villa hero. 

Not for me.

way before the injury and during the period he was revered by most fans.

I have never felt he was dominating enough, particularly in the air.

I have always felt he was suseptible to the bully too....not sufficiently physical enough for me.

John Terry alongside him was in his later years too...not quite as dominant as in his youth.

I think we are more capable now.....The signings of Mings and Hause,enhanced my cofidence and subsequently, we gained promotion.

but each to their own....i think he is a bit small for a centre back and you have to be exceptional if you are.....I don't think he is.

Good pro though, good character, which is important too.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not for me.

way before the injury and during the period he was revered by most fans.

I have never felt he was dominating enough, particularly in the air.

I have always felt he was suseptible to the bully too....not sufficiently physical enough for me.

John Terry alongside him was in his later years too...not quite as dominant as in his youth.

I think we are more capable now.....The signings of Mings and Hause,enhanced my cofidence and subsequently, we gained promotion.

but each to their own....i think he is a bit small for a centre back and you have to be exceptional if you are.....I don't think he is.

Good pro though, good character, which is important too.

Chester was great in the air. He had a hell of a leap on him. His injury hampered that and made him look much worse. The signings of mings and Hause were necessary because of how badly injured he was.

As a club taking care of Chester should now be our first priority with him. If he wants a contract extension we should give it and if he wants to be sold we should let him. However he won us 170 million by basically ending his career the least we can do is give him a tiny portion of that until what would be a natural retirement period. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Chester was great in the air. He had a hell of a leap on him. His injury hampered that and made him look much worse. The signings of mings and Hause were necessary because of how badly injured he was.

As a club taking care of Chester should now be our first priority with him. If he wants a contract extension we should give it and if he wants to be sold we should let him. However he won us 170 million by basically ending his career the least we can do is give him a tiny portion of that until what would be a natural retirement period. 

I am not opposed to looking after him.....but that is a different argument to his ability.

I was just never convinced, while still accepting he was ok.

I couldn't see us going up automatically with him.....just my opinion.

18 hours ago, sne said:

But is he fit, or is it a Leadly King sort of deal.

Be interesting to get a bit more info as it's been quoted that it might be a permanent issue for him with his knee. That he can play, but there will always be an issue.

AFAIK, from what has come out of the club, he'll be permanently sub-100% now. Or to put another way, his current and future 100%, however often or rare he's in that condition, will never be pre-injury level.

So, yes, Macca and Ledley type managing and nursing is how it'll go, it seems, but I don't recall ever reading exactly what the injury was or how exactly it did and does affect him. It seems the club are being a bit quiet about all that and possibly for good reason. There's been stuff said about him playing when he very much shouldn't have and the club may very well be seriously embarrassed by one of their employees being crocked because one of their former employees was so incompetent before he was fired that he breached a duty of care.

I think he'll be looked after on a nod and a wink at the very least. The fact he was up there with Jack collecting the trophy at Wembley was telling, I thought.

• Like 1

Like Micah I dont think he will play again for us probably will retire after this contract. Not the greatest player but model professional. The type we lacked for so long and helped create new atmosphere at club along with Elphick, Jedi etc 

• Like 2

Â