James Chester

KJT123

16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Hr's not wht you'd describe as being a monster physically, but he was our best player last season at the back by a mile. Might have been our player of the season. Got a few more seasons left in him at this level. I'd only sell him if we know we've got better comgin through from the academy ready to step up. 

then we need a powerful ally next to him to give balance.

Are we doing the whole 'hes about to be sold so hes overrated' thing? :D

He was one of the top 5 CB's in the league last year everyone would agree surely? Got his downsides like anyone else but we'd be less of a team to lose him, especially to bloody stoke. Selling our best players to Stoke ffs.

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I think he's a cracking player. Reads the game really well. Which is the most important attribute for a defender imo regardless of physical size.

He does read the game well and its to his credit....but that is more relevant in the prem......its difficult, because like you I have seen him play very well, but with a certain type of forward he gets out muscled.

In this league, they pull you around, Ref's turn a blind eye and before you know where you are the ball is in the net......physical attributes are crucial in this league.

as an example....Bamba and Morrison are not better technically than Chester, but more effective in the championship.....Bartley & Janssen when they were at Leeds were similar.....Flint & Baker were formidable until their overall season went pear shaped.

I don't think Baker is better than Chester, but offers something in presence, chester can't......you have to cover all eventualities

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Are we doing the whole 'hes about to be sold so hes overrated' thing? :D

He was one of the top 5 CB's in the league last year everyone would agree surely? Got his downsides like anyone else but we'd be less of a team to lose him, especially to bloody stoke. Selling our best players to Stoke ffs.

No I thought it all season......but thats the point being raised, his downside.....I don't say he is a bad player....just highlighting his weakness, like we do for all our players.

We will only be less of a team if we sign someone worse to replace him

If you see a downside ,like at Cardiff.....do you just ignore it or do you attempt to get a stronger player.

I think at 29 a decent fee and a younger more powerful replacement will do fine for me.

38 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Like who on our budget is going to replace him? Assuming we even have a budget at the moment.

Exactly, can only see Bruce recruiting an overage and inferior replacement. Defence is the biggest concern regarding our squad imo and the last thing I want is the return of hoofball.

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Exactly, can only see Bruce recruiting an overage and inferior replacement. Defence is the biggest concern regarding our squad imo and the last thing I want is the return of hoofball.

The return of sweeper/striker Christopher Samba?

I think when a player is potentially on the verge of leaving it is easy to try and sugar coat it and think he isn't all that and can be replaced.

If we are to get out of this division the best chance of doing that is by keeping our best players and improving those around them otherwise we are making the job much tougher. Chester is one of our best players and if possible we have to retain him. I'll be gutted if he goes especially to a lesser Championship club.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think when a player is potentially on the verge of leaving it is easy to try and sugar coat it and think he isn't all that and can be replaced.

If we are to get out of this division the best chance of doing that is by keeping our best players and improving those around them otherwise we are making the job much tougher. Chester is one of our best players and if possible we have to retain him. I'll be gutted if he goes especially to a lesser Championship club.

Agreed, it really isn't a tough league. 70% of home games last year I am not even sure Chester broke a sweat tbfh.The myth that every team is Wimbledon reincarnated really needs to die. The truth is it's full of a lot of shite teams, with shite player, who try to play football but are too shite to every really succeed. The end result being a lot of dead passes going straight to our CBs over and over and over and over again.

Bolton were the only real team to come and mix it at Villa Park that I can remember.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

He starts and Elphick is on the bench. I'd imagine if he was on the verge of a move he would not be getting game time that suggests he is in the managers plans for the upcoming season.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Â