Relegation Thread 2016/7

PieFacE

Whilst not wanting to believe it's possible for us to go down again, nothing I've seen from this new set up convinces me that we will be safe. I know it's early doors, and I do expect us to improve, but the early signs are very worrying indeed. Double relegations do happen, and we were one of the worst sides to ever get relegated from the Premier League.

Watching us under Di Matteo makes me wonder if we have possibly got even worse.

A bit of an overreaction, sure, but it's normal when this team hasn't won a game in 6 months and you'd realistically expect about 11-13 wins to avoid relegation from the championship. Right now 11 wins seem quite a lot. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Ridiculous thread - enjoy the doom and gloom!

Hide contents

News flash....it's ain't going to happen........

Why on Earth is it a ridiculous thread? This happy clapping nonsense is getting a bit much now. LOOK at the club! How can you say that a team that hasn't won in 6 months and has just been battered by a 4th division team is not at risk of a relegation battle? It's ridiculous that you think it's ridiculous. I'm not saying we WILL go down, as I hope we will improve as the season goes on, but it's crazy to suggest that it's impossible. It clearly isn't.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 4

As a positive,  when we won the first division in 1981 we lost to Cambridge in the early round of the league cup after scoring first with a goal from the chap playing on the left wing on the night.  Just saying

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Why on Earth is it a ridiculous thread? This happy clapping nonsense is getting a bit much now. LOOK at the club! How can you say that a team that hasn't won in 6 months and has just been battered by a 4th division team is not at risk of a relegation battle? It's ridiculous that you think it's ridiculous.

We have not played one home game, not one!  It is not 'happy clapping nonsense' to believe we won't get relegated at this point. We all know what happened last year and we all know we lost to a League Two team, but you are discounting very determined new ownership, what looks like an excellent coaching set-up, what could be a very high net spend in this division, our current transfer activity and the fact we are playing in a much weaker league. It won't be easy and we may not make make the promotion mix, we can all accept that, but to talk about relegation at this stage - before we've kicked a ball at VP - is a touch pessimistic and gloom-ridden in my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Why on Earth is it a ridiculous thread? This happy clapping nonsense is getting a bit much now. LOOK at the club! How can you say that a team that hasn't won in 6 months and has just been battered by a 4th division team is not at risk of a relegation battle? It's ridiculous that you think it's ridiculous. I'm not saying we WILL go down, as I hope we will improve as the season goes on, but it's crazy to suggest that it's impossible. It clearly isn't.

Thinking we won't get relegated = happy clapping nonsense. Okay.

52 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

We have not played one home game, not one!  It is not 'happy clapping nonsense' to believe we won't get relegated at this point. We all know what happened last year and we all know we lost to a League Two team, but you are discounting very determined new ownership, what looks like an excellent coaching set-up, what could be a very high net spend in this division, our current transfer activity and the fact we are playing in a much weaker league. It won't be easy and we may not make make the promotion mix, we can all accept that, but to talk about relegation at this stage - before we've kicked a ball at VP - is a touch pessimistic and gloom-ridden in my humble opinion.

You said that having a relegation thread was ridiculous. That's what I am referring to. I am simply stating that isn't ridiculous to have such a thread given the state of the club. Regardless of whether I think we will go down or not. Is that clear now?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

You said that having a relegation thread was ridiculous. That's what I am referring to. I am simply stating that isn't ridiculous to have such a thread given the state of the club. Regardless of whether I think we will go down or not. Is that clear now?

And I am simply stating it is ridiculous "because" relegation is so unlikely IMO.  Look, if you and others want to discuss how Villa might, could, will get relegated that is your prerogative.  I just have a very different view; one that makes me think such discussions are kind of futile and needlessly pessimistic at this stage. 

Edited by Gary Thomas

5 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

And I am simply stating it is ridiculous "because" relegation is so unlikely IMO.  Look, if you and others want to discuss how Villa might, could, will get relegated that is your prerogative.  I just have a very different view; one that makes me think such discussions are kind of futile and needlessly pessimistic at this stage. 

Fair enough. Then it's probably better you don't post in the thread entitled, "relegation thread". It is marked clear enough. ;)

18 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

But you've come onto this thread to complain about its very existence. You'd be far better off rubbing your hands with unbridled joy in the promotion thread.

Well no not really, I expressed an opinion that "I think" it is ridiculous to discuss relegation at this stage - my opinion, my prerogative and on topic. As for rubbing my hands with unbridled joy in the promotion thread - that is a bit patronizing and unfounded isn't it?  As I said in response to you, "we may not make make the promotion mix, we can all accept that." Believing relegation to be completely unrealistic does not presuppose promotion is expected or even likely - we all know we have an incredible amount to do in the market and on the pitch, but I live in hope; as i am sure you do. You seem to throw these terms about like "rubbing your hands with unbridled joy" "happy clapping nonsense" but I don't see anyone doing that. 

3 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

It won't be easy and we may not make make the promotion mix, we can all accept that, but to talk about relegation at this stage - before we've kicked a ball at VP - is a touch pessimistic in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

Being ultra positive, 10 years ago Sunderland were in a near identical situation, humiliated in the PL the season before, takeover, nice guy manager appointed 4 or 5 new signings, lost their first 5 games, 4 in the league and to Bury in the LC. How did they get out of this predicament and win the Championship that season?

keane_3064699b.jpg

And 5 more signings on deadline day. Whether Villa sack RDM and bring him in or not is still up in the air but all hope is not lost yet at there is a precedent for getting out of this mess.

Â