Ratings and Reactions: Luton v Villa

limpid

2 minutes ago, villafan306 said:

Grealish looked confident on the ball and was probably our best player tonight (again, not saying a lot).

Perhaps it's just me but I thought he was really ineffective.  He clearly has good feet and look flashy on the ball but ultimately doesnt deliver.  I watched him all night when we didnt have the ball and whilst he runs back (mostly) he rarely effects play. To be fair Gardner and Tschibola were useless and so maybe his passing option were limited?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I actually disagree with Ayew getting any credit.  Our collapse coincided with him going from playing well to completely losing his head and being ineffective.

The guy needs to sort out his f**king attitude as well - constantly f**king moaning.

Much, much more concerning than the loss on Sunday.

Concerning that the manager, who surely must know of the fragile atmosphere, chose that team selection [even so, they should be able to beat Luton].

Concerning that we got thrashed by Luton.

Concerning that our defence and goalkeeper is so poor they let the first shot on target in.

Concerning that McCormack was quiet again.

Concerning that Ayew swanned around giving the best impression I've seen of Dalian Atkinson on a 'don't give a.....' day.

Concerning that this 4-2-3-1 formation is being stuck with.

Concerning that we seem to be kidding ourselves by entertaining £14m bids for kids from across Europe when games like this show the types of players we should be going for.

Concerning that Gollini made a match losing mistake on Saturday, and that Tishibola and McCormack looked cack today.

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Sorry but Grealish gets no 'credit' from me - I thought he was poor and did nothing to secure a place for the weekend. If he's half the player he supposed to be then he should be tearing league 2 sides a new one. Bang average going forward and nowhere when we don't have the ball

By any credit I mean he would get more than 1 out of 10 rating, he hit the post and won a few free kicks in dangerous positions. Still nothing special and miles away from the performance I'd expect from him vs Luton. 

• Like 1

Bunn - Flapped too much,gloves are too big

Richards - f*** off,foul throw 

Okore - worst player I've seen in...ever!

Gardner - now you know why he goes out on loan

Amavi - if stays will come good

Tshibola- looked average at best

Grealish - average championship player 

Gestede-  wardrobe

Ayew - liability,petulant

Green - out of his depth

Hutton - looked to go forward as usual 

Baker - baker

Mcormack- thinks 'what the fu.....

Rotherham must be rubbing their hands!!

Just glad I am missing our first home league game. I don't think I could bear to watch that shower of shite for 90 minutes.

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Perhaps it's just me but I thought he was really ineffective.  He clearly has good feet and look flashy on the ball but ultimately doesnt deliver.  I watched him all night when we didnt have the ball and whilst he runs back (mostly) he rarely effects play. To be fair Gardner and Tschibola were useless and so maybe his passing option were limited?

I think he was our best player tonight.  He looked good with the ball at his feet and did have a few good moments - hitting the post and the layoff for Tshibola's shot were the main two.  I agree that he was very ineffective coming back and left Amavi exposed.  Second half can't have been easy with Immobile...sorry, Gestede up front as that slowed down the whole attacking process.

15 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Pre match interview RDM said the team were playing for places on Saturday.  Hope to God most of these lot aren't anywhere near VP vs Rotherham. 

I'd say McCormack, Ayew, Grealish, Tshibola, Baker, and Bunn were the only ones who didn't look completely dreadful. Green was hit or miss all match. Very inconsistent, but he is young and has a future here. Gardner was poor, but not terrible. Richards was doing alright at right back, but not coincidentally he went to shit once moved to center back and Okore also struggled when Richards was next to him. Amavi was partially at fault for the first goal and needs match sharpness. Hutton and Gestede please leave the club. 

5 minutes ago, villafan306 said:

I think he was our best player tonight.  He looked good with the ball at his feet and did have a few good moments - hitting the post and the layoff for Tshibola's shot were the main two.  I agree that he was very ineffective coming back and left Amavi exposed.  Second half can't have been easy with Immobile...sorry, Gestede up front as that slowed down the whole attacking process.

Yes maybe. I've got a downer on Grealish which probably effects my judgement. 

If a 'moneyball' player is someone who might not look 'good' but when you unpick their contribution delivers the numbers (goals, assists, interceptions, tackles etc etc), then Grealish is the exact opposite - he always looks confident and comfortable with the ball at his feet but doesnt deliver. 

Maybe not a fair game to judge him and in mitigation his attitude at least appeared better

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

I'd say McCormack, Ayew, Grealish, Tshibola, Baker, and Bunn were the only ones who didn't look completely dreadful. Green was hit or miss all match. Very inconsistent, but he is young and has a future here. Gardner was poor, but not terrible. Richards was doing alright at right back, but not coincidentally he went to shit once moved to center back and Okore also struggled when Richards was next to him. Amavi was partially at fault for the first goal and needs match sharpness. Hutton and Gestede please leave the club. 

Good analysis, although I thought Tschibola was useless

Just now, VillaCas said:

Good analysis, although I thought Tschibola was useless

Tshibola was the deep lying play maker and did alright at that. Defensively he wasn't great, but he held possession well and always looked to play the ball forward. A lot of our chances in the first half started because Tshibola managed to pick out our attackers from deep. Gardner was playing the more attacking role, but Gardner clearly didn't want that role. Gardner doesn't have the best reactions. He is heavy footed so him constantly getting the ball under pressure is bad. 

Basically I think if we get a proper DM, and give Tshibola some more freedom, we will be good. 

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

Tshibola was the deep lying play maker and did alright at that. Defensively he wasn't great, but he held possession well and always looked to play the ball forward. A lot of our chances in the first half started because Tshibola managed to pick out our attackers from deep. Gardner was playing the more attacking role, but Gardner clearly didn't want that role. Gardner doesn't have the best reactions. He is heavy footed so him constantly getting the ball under pressure is bad. 

Basically I think if we get a proper DM, and give Tshibola some more freedom, we will be good. 

You're going to get some stick tomorrow, if you walk around Town wearing your Villa top :D

Just now, VillaBrum said:

You're going to get some stick tomorrow, if you walk around Town wearing your Villa top :D

Luckily I am actually not in Luton currently. I am stateside for the summer. I was actually bummed because I wanted to go to this match, although now I am glad I didn't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

It's all opinions I guess and its early days for Tschibola but I've been very disappointed with what I've seen so far. We'll see

Â