Rotherham fan view

StefanAVFC

Questions from Rotherham fans.

How do you think you will fare this season? What's the general feeling around Villa Park?

Do you think that Roberto di Matteo is the man to restore you to former glories?

What do your supporters expect from Saturday's game?

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

How do you think you will fare this season? What's the general feeling around Villa Park? - complete mixed bag, we wont be as bad as media experts (! holloway!) think but its a tough league, think theres a lack of patience and too many fans who snap at the first chance they get, the lack of time given to the new owner and his cheque book for example, if we dont win the next games the moaners will be out, we were better vs wednesday than i thought we'd be which was promising, id be happy with 10 points by the end of August, one things for sure we'll travel in huge numbers for away games and have some fun

Do you think that Roberto di Matteo is the man to restore you to former glories? - not sure, nice enough bloke, think he was lucky at chelsea with the team he had, honestly cant remember a thing about his west brom days, pleased with clarke as the assistant, the tweaks required after sunday were fairly obvious ones for me so it'll be interesting to see if he makes them

What do your supporters expect from Saturday's game? - turning possession in to chances and goals, we are amazing at passing the ball sideways aimlessly until we make a mistake, we should be capable of around 60% on saturday but we've got to start sending it forward, teams at times are happy to let us have the ball knowing we do nothing with it, i want us to look lively and dangerous, every danger we'll look ponderous and lazy, either way i think we've got enough about us to win

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

How do you think you will fare this season? What's the general feeling around Villa Park?

Do you think that Roberto di Matteo is the man to restore you to former glories?

What do your supporters expect from Saturday's game?

1. There was a lot of work to be done, there still is. Despite that I feel confident we can make a push for the top 6. I thought we were unlucky against Wednesday and it felt to me like two teams who will be battling at the top going at it. That said, it was one game. The first game. We will know more once the transfer window closes and the team has had time to gel. Basically, ask me again in a couple of months! As for the mood at VP? I've not been there yet but generally on social media fans seem buoyant.

2. I'm still on the fence. I think it's clear he has a higher ceiling than where we currently sit, that is good enough reason to support him fully for now. But managers come and go, they can succeed at one club and fail at another. I feel he has a good shot here though, I'm confident he will be well backed and has a good team around him. 

3. I can't speak for anyone else, but I expect 3 points. 

http://boards.footymad.net/rotherhamunited-mad/

It's footymad but it seems the most active.

I put your answers to them. Here are their responses to my original questions.

1) What is your attitude going into the game? What result do you think is likely?
2) Who will be your danger man?
3) What do you think of Villa as a club?
4) What do you think of Villa's chances this year?

Q1 we are rebuilding so I hope for a win or draw, 
Q2 we don't have a danger man, we are a team, we will work together to beat Villa
Q3 Villa are a big club, they do not deserver to be in the Championship, 
Q4 Villa will be there ot there about, but don't get me wrong, this is the most difficult division to get out of you will have to battle hard,

Hello friendlyfan
in answer to your questions:-
1.Saturday's game will be a big test for our boys - we are trying to build a team from youth which is a longer term strategy than some clubs employ but as we have limited income its the best route as opposed to signing "journeymen" .
2.Im hoping we take a point form you and IMHO we dont really have a "danger man" as we've only seen most of our play team once but we have a young energetic midfield who try to play football so watch out for a few surprises.
3.Villa became "fat ,dumb and happy" as a Premiership regular outfit but poor management decisions and lack of funds left you hanging over the trapdoor once to often.
4.You might make the play offs - remember Wigan ,Fulham ,Blackpool and Bolton 

Question biggrin.pngo you think parachute money is a fair way of rewarding failure?

Hello friendlyfan
in answer to your questions:-
1.Saturday's game will be a big test for our boys - we are trying to build a team from youth which is a longer term strategy than some clubs employ but as we have limited income its the best route as opposed to signing "journeymen" .
2.Im hoping we take a point form you and IMHO we dont really have a "danger man" as we've only seen most of our play team once but we have a young energetic midfield who try to play football so watch out for a few surprises.
3.Villa became "fat ,dumb and happy" as a Premiership regular outfit but poor management decisions and lack of funds left you hanging over the trapdoor once to often.
4.You might make the play offs - remember Wigan ,Fulham ,Blackpool and Bolton 

Question biggrin.pngo you think parachute money is a fair way of rewarding failure?

We have a few injuries but if they are fit for your game then I'm confident it will be a close game, maybe a draw 

Vaulks

Great club

Early days but would be surprised if you're not in play offs

Here's to a good game

“New broom” Alan Stubbs is still in the midst of restructuring to take us onto the next level….5th from bottom at the end of the season smile.png . We’re reasonably confident he’ll manage it.

Villa game? we’re massive underdogs….so what’s new? That’s pretty much how we have to approach virtually every game in the Championship and have done so successfully for the last two seasons. A strong team spirit and blind optimism has served us well so far. We’ll win 2-1 on Saturday smile.png

We’re still getting used to our new team but on the showing so far, Vaulks looks like our “danger man”.

Obviously, Villa are a big club, but you also have class. Every time I go to Villa Park I feel slightly in awe of the history that the whole place just reeks of. Compare this to our MASSIVE neighbours in Sheffield 6. Big ground, lots of fans….but no class. I’m assaulted by a very different kind of smell whenever I go anywhere near Swillsboro. Villa are the epitome of a “big club”. Wednesday are the epitome of a desperately-wannabe-big-club.

It’s hard to see Villa not competing near the top all season, but it won’t be a cake walk. I think it was Robbie Savage that described the Championship as the “most dog-eat-dog league in the world.” I think that nicely sums it up. How quickly Villa adapt to the ruthlessness of this league will be key. Sunday’s game was a sober awakening for you. It will be very interesting to see how you react to Sunday’s result over the next two or three games.

My thoughts about the game on Saturday is that most supporters will be travelling in hope rather than expectation.
I watched you play Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday and for a 20 minute spell in the second half, you absolutely bossed the game and I was willing you to score.
Unfortunately a number of your players often chose the wrong option and a lot of moves fizzled out.
I'm a bit apprehensive that they might choose the right options against us!
As for the likely result, well I'd take a draw right now and anything better would be a real bonus.

It's difficult to say who might be our danger man as our squad is still being built and we've only seen a few of the new players once.
Based on Saturday's performance against Wolves, I'd say that Will Vaulks or Jon Taylor could be a threat if they are "on their game."

For me, Villa as a club represent real class and have a history and tradition to be proud of.
Unfortunately you have lost your way in recent times due to poor ownership and management decisions and are now faced with a considerable rebuilding job.
However, from the outside looking in, things appear to be moving in the right direction and you certainly have the financial muscle to put things right.

The Championship is an incredibly tough league, in fact there is nothing like it anywhere else in the world.
A lot of clubs who drop down from the Premier league seem to think it will be easy to go straight back up .
Believe me it won't be because all teams in this league are capable of beating each other on any given day. 
The Championship is full of big clubs who have been unable to get back to the promised land.
However, I'll be amazed if Villa aren't promotion candidates given the resources at your disposal and I expect you to make the playoffs at least.
Personally I think Norwich will be champions.

1. Stubbs is trying to implement a passing game so expect some nice footy on the deck. After watching you on sky v the pigs on sunday i think we can get a draw out of the game. 

2. Not sure on the danger man. Hopefully Danny Ward can bag another and cause you plenty of problems in his lone striker role

3. As i have many mates from Coventry, i can only say their favourite saying "shiiiiit on the villa". Its all they bang on about lol.

4. It will be tough but think you got a cracking manager. Maybe playoffs or mid table obscurity (which we would be more than pleased with)

Others on here have pretty much covered our chances and threats.

Many moons ago I was a regular visitor to Villa Park with my ex wife's brother who was a big fan (they lived in Smethwick). He had been a season ticket holder for 25 years up to last season when even he became disillusioned and gave up. Sad to see such a storied club in a state of disarray and hopefully you will get back to the top level soon but don't assume it will be easy as others have found out.

The enduring memory of Villa Park for me was Boxing Day 1989 when in front of a full house David Platt at the height of his career and the rest of the team dismantled Man Utd 3-0 in an awesome display of football. I think you ended up as Division 1 runners-up that season. Also saw your European Cup Winners beat Northampton in an FA Cup game earlier in the 80s in front of a capacity crowd of around 14,000 at their old 3 sided County Ground.

The o/p's questions seemed to have been covered pretty well by the first few posters.
Always thought of Villa as a big club and I can't wait for Saturday and my first visit to Villa Park, really looking forward to it. Hoping for a good game and would probably take a draw now, but who knows.

I seem to recall Villa coming to Millmoor for a testimonial, Richard Finney's I think after they won the European Cup and bringing the trophy. I still remember how amazing it was to see the famous cup at little old Millmoor, when they paraded it around the ground.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

What questions do you want posing to the Rotherham fans?

What Rotherham players should we watch out for? Are there any players who could make the step up to the premier league?

Q1: Is it alright if we adopt the theme song of Rotherham's most famous sons for the season? I believe it will be very fitting.

Q2: What is your favourite episode of Chucklevision? Mine is when the brothers Chuckle go to a science lab, and due to an unfortunate accident Barry is turned in to the Hulk!

Q3: Are they really brothers? I don't feel as though this has been proven.

Q4: Do you ever see the Chucklemobile driving round Rotherham? Is that the correct term? (for their car, not the town)

Q5: Do you refer to 'tiki taka' football as 'to me to you' football? And is it a style you would like to see your team employ?

BONUS Q: Do you refer to Dearne Valley as DURRRRRRRRRRRRN (like the noise you might make to demonstrate a stupid person) Valley? Cos I do.

I've got plenty more after they've answered those first few.

Edited by hogso

I particularly enjoyed my walk from Aston station yesterday behind a group of Rotherham fans who were quite excited about being able to see their team play at Villa Park. "A proper football stadium", "historic club etc. etc." When they got in sight of the Holte End they stopped dead and just stood in awe for a moment. Reminded me how fortunate we are to have such a fantastic ground, hope they enjoyed their visit despite the result!

• Like 1

Â