UKIP/Reform NF Ltd and their non-racist well informed supporters

chrisp65

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As a citizen of a member country of the EU, he'll be receiving free health care in France.

As do citizens of Iceland and Switzerland , who aren't members of the EU :P

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Shame we're not even targeting "soft" Brexit like the arrangement they both have eh

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I believe both countries have now agreed to the free movement of labour with the EU.

Switzerland conceded a few weeks ago? Iceland has already written it in to law.

So yeah, providing we don't put any limits on immigration we can be treated just like Iceland. Result!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So yeah, providing we don't put any limits on immigration we can be treated just like Iceland. Result!

Which makes the entire referendum a total waste time of time anyway.

Yay.

• Like 3

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I believe both countries have now agreed to the free movement of labour with the EU.

Switzerland conceded a few weeks ago? Iceland has already written it in to law.

switzerland upper house don't discuss it until December , but I thought they also added a few caveats on free movement (which the EU may or may not accept )

i wonder how many French , Spanish , Germans etc visit or live in England and if there would be any benefit for their citizens to have some form of mutual agreement ... nah I'm sure project spite will rule out any sensible discussions 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

99% of politicians are.

UKIP are a different shade of bellend.

I do think *proportionally they're less self serving, but their ire is misplaced. The enemy is up, not across.

The people pulling the strings in pursuit of $ and power, and generally not giving a **** about the aftermath.

*Neil Hamilton :D

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Switzerland accept free movement of labour; pay about half a billion points EU's coffers without any anything back in terms of CAP etc., have no seat at the negotiating table, and must in practice abide by ECJ judgments (see their recent referendum on free movement for a case in point).

If the UK want that deal, no worries.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Who amongst us hasn't had the wanked off in hospital by Dr Farage fantasy?

No?

No, me neither, nope nope nope.

Its not available on the NHS. If it got the £350m per week as promised after Brexit then you never know...

• Like 2

On 10/6/2016 at 17:14, Chindie said:

If we walk away from negotiations with a Swiss deal I hope the inevitable photos go down alongside the infamous Chamberlain picture.

Word coming out that the UK has "red lines" of no free movement, no contribution to EU budget, and no jurisdiction of ECJ. So the Swiss deal is off the table.

I think it's going to be an awkward WTO-type deal, with tariffs (and UK companies having to comply with single market bureaucracy to successfully sell into the EU), no free movement of services, and maybe some complex arrangement to avoid a hard border in Northern Ireland. Swiss deal much more economically advantageous than that. Loss of passporting will be a big dent to the City, and to the tax revenues derived from there. Simultaneously restricting your export market by limiting the number of foreign students is more self-imposed damage.

The loss of CAP subsidies to farmers will rear its ugly head. You lot are in trouble.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Enda said:

Word coming out that the UK has "red lines" of no free movement, no contribution to EU budget, and no jurisdiction of ECJ. So the Swiss deal is off the table.

I think it's going to be an awkward WTO-type deal, with tariffs (and UK companies having to comply with single market bureaucracy to successfully sell into the EU), no free movement of services, and maybe some complex arrangement to avoid a hard border in Northern Ireland. Swiss deal much more economically advantageous than that. Loss of passporting will be a big dent to the City, and to the tax revenues derived from there. Simultaneously restricting your export market by limiting the number of foreign students is more self-imposed damage.

The loss of CAP subsidies to farmers will rear its ugly head. You lot are in trouble.

I 'liked' it, but I don't like it. 

• Like 1

The Northern Ireland situation is going to be a complete car crash.

As for red lines... Great. But the people we're negotiating with do too. And I'm willing to bet those lines will clash.

My criticism of a Swiss deal was mostly that it would be a completely ludicrous result. The Swiss deal is more or less the same as being a member, but they have a veneer of distance from being a member. The main treaty they signed pretty much ties them to adhering to all EU law or the agreement ends. Pretty much nothing would have changed for years of negotiating and significant financial uncertainty.

However based on going back to WTO standards it would be a **** gift from the gods.

The next few years are going to be a **** mess.

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

...However based on going back to WTO standards it would be a **** gift from the gods...

The next few years are going to be a **** mess.

WTO tariffs average about 2.5%,  the £ has depreciated by about 15% since the vote. Our exports are already vastly more competitive as a result, hence the IMF ripping up their pre-vote predictions of doom and confirming the UK as the fastest growing developed economy in the world.

There has never been a single market in services (where we actually excel) so the "loss" of the single market in that sense isn't such a big hit. 

Those companies that export to the EU are already compliant with all EU legislation so only have to maintain that position and stay up to date with changes as they would have done anyway had we remained members. Those who export to the EU are a small part of the overall economy anyway so - as before - the impact is being greatly overstated, and the opportunity for free trade beyond the customs union ignored.

Agricultural subsidies will continue (confirmed) as will R & D grants to universities. 

Passporting for the City is going to be a major issue and we will have to fight hard to retain it or find some other compromise whereby we give ground elsewhere to retain it.

However comments from the French about ending Euro clearing in London are, from what I've read, totally impractical. Neither Paris nor Frankfurt has the ability and financial infrastructure to actually do it themselves. The fact it will occur outside the EU is irrelevant, London clears more USD every day than New York, yet we are not in political union with the Americans.

I'm not suggesting Brexit will be plain sailing but, as with the Remain campaign itself, the reality is unlikely to be as horrendous as is being painted in some quarters. 

BTW I agree on the NI issue and not sure how that will be resolved, but if the EU insists on tariffs with the UK outside the single market then the ROI is in deep economic doo doo.

Given the overwhelming significance of the UK market for their exports, Ireland may have to consider leaving the EU too to achieve tarrif free access, of Brussels rejects free trade. 

The next few years will definitely be uncertain, but difficulties will be balanced with new opportunities - not least free trade deals with major economies that are actually growing. 

Â