UKIP/Reform NF Ltd and their non-racist well informed supporters

chrisp65

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Surely it shows that they have an element of racism due to the amount of racists attaching themselves.

True to an extent, but then it's your responsibility to educate yourself. People don't do that. It's a big reason why Brexit won.

- People hold views based on ignorance
- Their views are validated by the lies told by the leave campaign
- The same people don't attempt to educate themselves

It's why populism is on the rise (Brexit, Trump, Le Pen)

sigh

• Like 1

You can sigh all you like.

Do you think that a person who holds these xenophobic views, who is now having them validated by the anti-immigration rhetoric which is EVERYWHERE now, will suddenly start looking at the pros of immigration? People aren't interested in educating themselves. They are happy in their ignorance.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

You can sigh all you like.

Do you think that a person who holds these xenophobic views, who is now having them validated by the anti-immigration rhetoric which is EVERYWHERE now, will suddenly start looking at the pros of immigration? People aren't interested in educating themselves. They are happy in their ignorance.

Ignorance is everywhere including in yourself. It's just easier to tell someone who is a brexiter or someone who is anti immigration that they are ignorant. Everyone is ignorant about certain things.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Everyone is ignorant about certain things.

I agree.

However, some people don't even attempt to change their ignorance. Instead they shove their view down your throat, even when proven wrong. Look at Trump supporters in the US. They believe in what he says, even when it's proven wrong time and time again.

There's the difference.

• Like 1

It's pretty irrelevant now who or what leads UKIP after Farage. May has eaten their lunch with the new Grammar Schools project, proposals for state intervention in industries that are getting hammered by globalisation and of course following through with Cameron's promise to implement the outcome of the referendum.

UKIP as a party has achieved its objective and should logically die a natural death, particularly as its driving force has restated his departure from political leadership. Perhaps the only thing that can keep it alive is the gob smacking incompetence of Corbyn's Labour, though even then only for northern voters who can't bring themselves to vote Tory.

I think they are more likely to morph over time into an independent online based political pressure group, a bit like Momentum but with fewer moon howlers.

UKIP's Steven Woolfe in hospital 'after altercation' 

From the Beeb:

UKIP leadership hopeful Steven Woolfe was taken to hospital following an altercation at a meeting of party MEPs, interim leader Nigel Farage has said.

In a statement he said Mr Woolfe had "subsequently collapsed" and his "condition is serious".

Mr Woolfe, MEP for the North West, was taken to hospital in Strasbourg for tests.

Mr Woolfe announced on Wednesday he will stand for the party's leadership after Diane James stepped down.

In his statement, Mr Farage said: "I deeply regret that following an altercation that took place at a meeting of UKIP MEPs this morning that Steven Woolfe subsequently collapsed and was taken to hospital. His condition is serious."

'Shocked'

Mr Woolfe, who celebrates his 49th birthday today, is said to have been taken ill after walking out of a vote at the parliament in Strasbourg.

The other candidate to have declared so far, Raheem Kassam, tweeted his best wishes for Mr Woolfe, as did ex deputy chairwoman Suzanne Evans.

Mr Kassam tweeted that he had cancelled his appearance on BBC2's Daily Politics "out of respect" for Mr Woolfe, following reports he had been taken ill.

He added: "I really hope @Steven-Woolfe is okay. Plz send him your best wishes."

Ms Evans, who is said to be considering her own leadership bid, tweeted: "Shocked to hear Steven Woolfe has apparently collapsed in the European Parliament in Strasbourg. Wishing him well for a speedy recovery."

Bill Etheridge, a former UKIP leadership contender and an MEP for the West Midlands and Dudley, tweeted: "Hoping all is well and wishing @Steven_Woolfe all the best after he was taken ill today in Strasbourg."

Mr Farage said on Wednesday he would return as UKIP's interim leader until a fresh election could be held to find Ms James's successor.

Ms James announced her resignation after just 18 days in the job, citing professional and personal reasons for her decision.

She succeeded Mr Farage on 16 September after he resigned following the Brexit vote.

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

seems to have been another UKIP MEP that punched him ?

I'm not sure, but it was a meeting of UKIP MEPs, so I'm not sure who else would have been there to give him a bat.  

I liked this bit: "Mr Kassam tweeted that he had cancelled his appearance on BBC2's Daily Politics "out of respect" for Mr Woolfe, following reports he had been taken ill"

In other words, you don't want journalists asking who punched him, and why?!

8 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yes ukip has its share of racists like every party does but they are painted much worse than they should be. 

The nicest thing I can say about UKIP is that I haven't entirely ruled out the notion that there could theoretically be a good apple or two in the barrel, trapped in the decomposing mess of the racists, sexists, liars and idiots.

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I agree.

However, some people don't even attempt to change their ignorance. Instead they shove their view down your throat, even when proven wrong. Look at Trump supporters in the US. They believe in what he says, even when it's proven wrong time and time again.

There's the difference.

On a similar note, I thought this article from last month was interesting (if somewhat lacking in conclusion).

Politicians have always lied. Does it matter if they leave the truth behind entirely?

CONSIDER how far Donald Trump is estranged from fact. He inhabits a fantastical realm where Barack Obama’s birth certificate was faked, the president founded Islamic State (IS), the Clintons are killers and the father of a rival was with Lee Harvey Oswald before he shot John F. Kennedy. 

Mr Trump is the leading exponent of “post-truth” politics—a reliance on assertions that “feel true” but have no basis in fact. His brazenness is not punished, but taken as evidence of his willingness to stand up to elite power. And he is not alone. Members of Poland’s government assert that a previous president, who died in a plane crash, was assassinated by Russia. Turkish politicians claim the perpetrators of the recent bungled coup were acting on orders issued by the CIA. The successful campaign for Britain to leave the European Union warned of the hordes of immigrants that would result from Turkey’s imminent accession to the union.

:snip:

Â