Pre Match Thread

Demitri_C

I'm worried now that we'll just accept a point from this game to stop the rot rather than going balls out for the win. It's our first home game and if we are to get promoted (a long shot) then it's the type of game we need to be winning fairly comfortably.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It's ridiculous but this seems like a must win. 

I dread to think what a loss will do to the crowd and players and potential new signings.

it's too early and far too long a season for this to be a must win. i have a feeling that in 3 weeks, this team will look a lot different.

if it doesn't, even then it shouldn't be panic time. i'm willing to trade in 2 or 3 seasons of mid table mediocrity in order to intelligently rebuild the club so that we can not only win automatic promotion by year three, but that we will stay up once we get back there, and then challenge for big honors.

utv

2 hours ago, calcifer said:

What i am worried about is if we go 1 or 2 down....the crowd will start getting on the players back and it will become a hostile environment!

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I dread to think what a loss will do to the crowd and players and potential new signings.

I really hope not – it will hurt the club and us. My view is we constantly ask our players to fight, to give 100%, to never give in when it gets tough. We have to adopt that same mentality . It would be so easy to just carry on the with the same negativity after yesterday's performance (singing we are crap etc.), but that is the worse thing we could do. This is our first home game!  We did well against a good Sheffield outfit.  Now we are playing Rotherham – a team who finished 21st and just survived relegation.  Without taking ‘anything for granted’ they are beatable.  So lets make VP shake from the f**king rafters on Saturday to help them overcome this mental barrier and get that win that could kick-start our season. If we are going to create a hostile atmosphere create it for the opposition - not our players - and lets make VP a propper fortress again. We can help Tony, RDM and new players like Elphick and McCormack turn this around.  Lets leave them in no doubt we are with them and show them what a great club we are. UTV.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 4

Given the players we have at our disposal i would go with this

A8X4vhw.jpg

As depressing as it is i think that is probably the best lineup we have. Cissokho is clearly better at defending than Amavi but both of them are pretty quick and should be able to provide cover for each other giving ample opportunity to get forwards when needed.

Veretout has barely featured through pre season but i would say he is probably the best midfielder we have after seeing Gardner (terrible) and Tshibola (doesn't look ready and getting beat every week is just going to destroy him too)

Baker & Elphick kind of pick themselves at the moment due to the complete shower of shite that are our other defensive options.

The right hand side is still an issue but we simple do not have anyone else and until we can find some replacements i think the only option is Hutton/Bacuna with Hutton pretty much being told never to cross the half way line.

For all his sulking Ayew is probably still the best forward and whilst McCormack hasn't done a great deal yet he has to start but if Ayew goes like last night again get him straight off

As for Subs,

Bunn, Grealish, Tshibola, Hepburn-Murphy, Gestede, Adama (if fit) & Richards (have to have a defender there no matter how crap)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Chester signs this would make a big difference for me

NEr7kJF.jpg

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

How depressing to be going into a game against Rotherham feeling nervous and hoping we won't lose.  Rotherham FFS!   The only tiny sliver lining about being relegated was the thought we would start winning again, but lo and behold we get served up the same shite as last season, but against even worse and more embarrassing opposition.

Don't know how we'll line up, but whoever it is, someone in defence will make a stupid mistake that leads to a goal, the midfield will be over-run and the forwards won't get any service.  And I'm usually one of the more optimistic ones!

• Like 2

Really looking forward to this, it's been far too long since I saw the boys in claret and blue play, and I know they won't let me down! I think the final scoreline will be 3-1 to the mighty Villa! Come on you Lions!

Spoiler

jsbti.gif

Edited by hogso

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It's ridiculous but this seems like a must win. 

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

it's too early and far too long a season for this to be a must win. i have a feeling that in 3 weeks, this team will look a lot different.

if it doesn't, even then it shouldn't be panic time. i'm willing to trade in 2 or 3 seasons of mid table mediocrity in order to intelligently rebuild the club so that we can not only win automatic promotion by year three, but that we will stay up once we get back there, and then challenge for big honors.

utv

Although I see what you mean about it being a must win game, I agree with DC Jonah and say that really it is. The longer we go without winning the harder it becomes. We need to get that monkey off our back asap imo. I'm going to be bold and optimistic and say that I think we will win this 2-1, of course We won't make an easy job of it and it will be nervy, but we will squeak home just.

Meh, we're still figuring things out, still buying players and still trying to reverse some simply incredible negative momentum.  I'm interested in seeing the team he puts out now that he has pretty much seen all of his available squad each in a competitive game over the past 2 outings.  What has he learned? Yeah I know, they're all shite har har.

But yeah, Rotherham.  Actual real life Rotherham.  In a league fixture.  FML.  Just get it done lads.  For the love of all things McGrath just get it done.

• Like 1

Gollini

Hutton - Elphick - Baker - Amavi

Bacuna - Tshibola - Westwood - Gardner

McCormack - Ayew

Hutton banned from crossing the halfway line. Gardner to be focussed on defensive work/covering Amavi and pulling central as required. A minimum of 10km running expected from each of Amavi, Bacuna, Tsh, Westy, Gardner, Ayew, McCormack. Anyone falling below this hits the bomb squad. Any individual error leading to a goal also equals dismissal to bomb squad. Law needs to be laid down, and some standards applied. RDM is rapidly eroding any faith I have in him. Any sign whatsoever of Richards and he's done in my eyes. 

If we get Chester by Saturday, I'd go with this:

-------------------Gollini-----------------

-----Chester---Elphick---Baker------

-Bacuna------------------------Amavi-

----------Westwood-Tshibola----------

--Ayew----------------------Grealish---

--------------McCormack----------------

Going off what we currently have:

-----------------------Gollini----------------------

--Richards---Elphick-----Baker-----Amavi--

--Bacuna--Westwood--Tshibola--Grealish--

-------------McCormack---Ayew---------------

Honestly the 2nd team should be winning. 

Edited by Czechlad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Must win, no ifs buts or maybes we have to win this game

I agree - but it's amazing to think it is the first home game and we are talking like this.  Think we all recognize we have to shake the ghost of last year before we can even start to compete.