2016/7 General Predictions

Villaphan04

On 8/13/2016 at 05:57, Michael118 said:

Swansea won't get relegated under Francesco Guidolin.

Southamptom will struggle massively under Claude Puel.

Leciester will continue to be successful under Claudio Ranieri.

Liverpool won't make top 4.

Paul Pogba will struggle.

Watford made the wrong choice replacing Flores with Mazzarri.

Middlesborough have made some good signings.

Well I suppose the top one will technically be right...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

/Well I suppose the top one will technically be right...

You are being pretty nit-picky. I would say most of those can still be right and the players I picked in the 'best signings' category is hard to argue against.

Gueye, Gayle, Ritchie, Clark, Bolasie, Jedinak, Tomkins, Barragan, Espinosa, Klavan.

I also had Mane and Sissoko in that list but withdrew them last minute because of their high price tags.

RDM to be sacked before the end of the season was right.

On the other predictions - 

Leicester are in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Southampton are 10th, 3 points ahead of Leicester in 15th.

Watford are 14th, 4 ahead of Crystal Palace in 17th.

Liverpool are only 3 points ahead of Arsenal who are in 5th.

The Pogba prediction I withdrew and I haven't been following the Premier League closely this season but am pretty sure I read not too long ago that he was struggling to live up to expectations.

The Middlesborough signings I was referring to were Traore, Barragan, Espinosa and Guzan. Guzan hasn't had much of an opportunity but I think it's fair to say these have been good signings so far.

Edited by Michael118

9 hours ago, Michael118 said:

The Pogba prediction I withdrew and I haven't been following the Premier League closely this season but am pretty sure I read not too long ago that he was struggling to live up to expectations.

My quote was a little tongue in cheek. I think Pogba's been harshly viewed by many IMO because of his price tag. A good performance is a good performance however much you cost, I think, because ultimately the transfer cost is more down to agents, clubs, etc. If you removed the price tag most people would be saying he's been a good signing, which he has.

Debutant Bernardo Espinosa was an imperious figure at the back, negating the threat of Zlatan Ibrahimovic as Middlesbrough soaked up huge waves of pressure for long spells.

DF Bernardo Espinosa, 9 -- Was Boro's standout performer on his debut. A towering figure of strength, steel and composure at the heart of the backline.

http://www.espnfc.com.au/club/middlesbrough/369/blog/post/3029641/middlesbrough-resolve-in-late-loss-at-manchester-united-gives-real-hope-of-survival

Transfer Fee: Free

The Spaniard (Antonio Barragan) has been outstanding in the first two games of the season

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/focus-how-antonio-barragan-eased-11783976

The 29 year old (Antonio Barragan) has always been a highly rated defender, but some were showing early signs of worry in regards to how he would adapt to the English game.

Thankfully there was no need for panic, as the Spaniard has really started to show his talents in the early stages of the season. With a strong determination and work ethic, he continues to be a stand out for Boro having also made 38 tackles in the league so far, putting him fourth overall in that category.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/11/10/barragan-showing-promise-for-middlesbrough/page/1/

Transfer fee: 1.5m

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Tomkins?

I think he's an underrated centre back. I haven't followed the games closely but have read some articles suggesting he has been impressive for Crystal Palace since he signed. 

Edited by Michael118

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Bernardo Espinoza season appearances is a paltry 1. dont think he has been that good of a signing

9/10 on your debut against Manchester United at Old Trafford after spending most of 2016 on the sidelines with an ACL injury is not a bad effort. We'll see how he goes for the rest of the season.

Edited by Michael118

8 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I think he's an underrated centre back. I haven't followed the games closely but have read some articles suggesting he has been impressive for Crystal Palace since he signed. 

Nah, he's been really shit. Scoring the odd goal has meant a few people call him decent, but scoring the odd goal as a centre back doesn't make you a good defender. They ship goals for fun. (Conceded 1.5 goals per game without him, 2.0 goals per game with him, fwiw)

Edited by kurtsimonw

Another Man of the Match performance from Bernardo Espinosa in Middlesbrough's 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday.

Man of the Match: BERNARDO ESPINOSA - Having performed superbly as he made his debut at Old Trafford, the centre-half was every bit as impressive again here.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/15009756.Match_Ratings__Middlesbrough_3_Sheffield_Wednesday_0/

• 4 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:59, villa89 said:

Premier League : Chelsea

Champs League qualifiers: Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City

Relegation: Burnley, Watford and Hull

Championship: F**k it, Villa!

Promoted: Newcastle and Wednesday via the playoffs.

Champions League: Barcelona

Europa League: Spurs

Best signing: Kante

Top Scorer: Aguero

Biggest Flop: Jordan Ibe (£15m ??)

Bargain signing: Llorente (Swansea) --> Not counting Zlatan eventhough he was a "free" transfer.

Hmm... Not bad...although Jordan Ibe was a no brainer and looking back how did I not predict sunderland to go down?

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just seen who Zat predicted to win each league....you're not that mystery punter that Jack won 60k for are you?! :hooray:

I think I will actually cry if I look up them odds :(