Ratings and Reactions: Sheff Wed v Villa

limpid

Frustrating but not a disaster. We need to regain winning mentality, but this was always going to be a tricky fixture to start with. Once we get some cohesion up front between Ayew, McCormack and Grealish we'll cause lots of teams problems, and once we start getting goals, confidence will return to the side.

Think it did show we very much need investment in midfield. Defence was solid for the most part but it was a classic cock-up of the kind we did all the time last season (all the more frustrating that it's completely new player doing the same kind of thing)

Disappointing result and disappointing first half - we looked very disjointed in the first 45 and I don't think we can play Gestede, McCormack and Ayew and expect to exert any control over games, it's just not balanced.

That said we were much the better side in the second half and deserved more out of it than we got.

For me, other than the error (which he's a little unlucky to have got punished for) the young keeper looked very good, the two centre backs looked decent, Ayew can do the unexpected and Bacuna had a decent game - the rest were so-so.

Shape needs fixing and we need more in midfield - we don't really have a left side midfielder which makes it difficult to play 4-4-2 and we don'\t really have enough in the middle to play that way either - if we want to play 4-4-2, we're going to need another couple of midfielders - I think we should be looking at 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 with a choice between Gestede and McCormack up top.

It is what it is and it's still early doors - on to Rotherham and hopefully a first win.

Just now, One For The Road said:

Fixed 

He's selfish, lacks football intelligence and has a questionable attitude. But he has a lot of talent, no one else in this league has his control and dribbling skill.

Gollini had a good game apart from the mistake.

Teams know if they press our defenders there is always a mistake in there but wet persist with these risky backwards passes because our midfield is non existent.

Going forward I think McCormack and Ayew will get on the same wavelength and be dangerous.

Set pieces improved but we had so many corners we should have done more.

Should have had a penalty but in the end their goal was inexcusable.

Awful first half. Much better second half. Fluke goal. 

Westwood and Gardner were non existent. 

Hutton aside from one piece of poor defending was fine and I wouldn't care if we didn't necessarily sign a RB. Mccormack should've scored, dog shit first touch. 

• Like 1

Cissokho needs to go, offers absolutely zero and it was his poor technical ability of not being able to handle and lay off a simple pass that led to the goal. How he amassed over 40M in transfer fees is a mystery, easily one of the worst footballers I've seen technically speaking.

• Like 3

Just now, Razor said:

He's selfish, lacks football intelligence and has a questionable attitude. But he has a lot of talent, no one else in this league has his control and dribbling skill.

But there is no point in all that if he goes and and gives the ball away when a team mateam is standing in yards of space waiting for a tap in. 

We're still a very poor side. It's no shock to most of us, 6/7 of the same players that ended last season, started today. That includes the utterly abysmal Hutton, Bacuna, Westwood, Gestede and Cisskho. Throw an utterly dreadful Gardner into the mix and you have one of the weakest midfields in the league.

Second half we were slightly better but we're still a long way off a top 6 team in this division. All this nonsense knocking it between the back 3/4 and then back to the keeper has to stop, it was only a matter of time before an error was made by the otherwise excellent Gollini.

Before the game I thought we needed 4 signings, we actually need about 6.

Very poor start to the season and very few positives for me I'm afraid. 

Not angry, it was to be expected. 

Against one of the better sides in the League who are very familiar with each other that was OK.

I don't know why Gestede plays, complete waste of a position.

Defended well, grew into it well.

Already feels that in Elphick and McCormack we have some characters.

Said before game and remain of the view Green over Bacuna.

Encouraged, but already despairing of the attitude of some fans.

• Like 3

I didn't even know Gestede was on the pitch in the 2nd half. We really need to ship out Hutton and Cissokho. But to be honest the club have a losing mentality and while the losers from last season are still here i fear things are not going to get better! We should have had a penalty and Wednesday down to 10 men but that about sums it up. 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

PSA: We're going to lose games. We're going to win games. If you overreact like this to every single result, then it's going to be an awful season for you.

That's quite a dangerous assumption to make.

Plenty of positives undone by 1 error. Didn't really look troubled throughout the game tbh. 

Sheff wed are one of the best teams in the champ with an excellent home record yet we comfortably held our own against them without playing well. I'd be confident for the rest of the season based on that added to knowing a few players will be coming in over the next few weeks replacing Hutton etc

• Like 1

A good 35 minute spell in the second half followed by typical last 10 minute shocker.

Hutton, Gestede, Cissokho & Bacuna need to go.

Gardner & Baker need to shape up fast.

New signings in all areas asap please!

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

First half poor. Second half we looked a class above them and our mistake lost the game. Notable mentions for elphick who was outstanding and I thought bacuna had a decent game . Baker looked solid .

midfield needs strengthening badly and cissokho was awful .

first game I thought was entirely promising and apart from the mistake the was only one team going to score. When McCormack gets fitter he will be the main man for us. Hope the confidence is not destroyed by this.

Awful defending and even worse going forward.

Unlucky. Grew into the game.  Full Backs not good enough and we need a creative midfielder desperately.  New players all looked good and will get better.  Westwood gets very undeserved critisicsm on here - for me he was unspectacular but decent. We could do better in that position but he is not the weakest link by far

Â