Ratings and Reactions: Sheff Wed v Villa

limpid

Too many of the same old albatrosses still hanging around the club's neck for my liking. We should have had a clear penalty, but we can't rely on the referees getting things right because we've seen time and time again that they don't. A few decent performances, lots of average, and a couple very poor. Hopefully Gollini will have got that bodge out of the way and from here on out he'll be solid.

Second half much better, defence looks decent. Apart from a bizarre clearance I thought it was an even game. First half was gash.

Not toodisheartened, there's positives to be taken. New signings are looking good. Even Bacuna and Westwood played ok second half

• Like 1

Well same old same old. Defensive mistakes costs us. There were positives in the second half. McCormack will be good for us. Ayew must stay. Gestede can do one. Midfield needs to be strengthened. We are no playoff team starting with Gardner/Westwood. Bacuna should be benched. Hutton should be replaced but I must say that I don't think that is a top priority.

and McGrath's sake. Start with Jack!!!

I may be going against the grain but I'm. Not overly concerned. Impressed with Elphick, mccormack, tshibola from what we saw and even dare I say it bacuna. Big concern over Hutton and cissokho is exactly as we know him,but we will have amavi  back soon so not too worried at lb.

Second half was a big improvement. With a few more first team players I think we will be OK. 

Edited by This Could Be Rotterdam
Amavi
  • Like 2

Utterly rubbish 1st half but a much better performance in the second.  We shouldn't have lost this.  We can take heart that it is the first game of the season and there were glimpses of a good team that, supposing we can play like we did in the 2nd, will turn a lot of teams over.  If it will be good enough to reach the upper echelons of the league, who knows, but I'm optimistic.  

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

A disappointing result but with some promising signs.  We weathered a storm in the first half against a side that only lost two home games last season.  Second half we were by far the better side.

Gollini looked very comfortable, apart from the glaring error.  In Elphick we've got a Martin Laursen type at centre back - at last.  Ayew looks like he'll be by far the best player in this division.  McCormack showed that he's intelligent, and he can deliver from set pieces too.

We need a right back.  We need Amavi fit.  We need a central midfielder, although Tshibola looked tidy when he came on.

Disappointing, but reasons to be optimistic.

Yep. The doom and gloom is absurd.

• Like 1

I came into the game not expecting to see much and the first half proved me right.BUT the second half was much more enjoyable,they played with a purpose and actually looked like scoring,Of course we shoot ourselves in the foot at the end.but play like the second half more often and well be ok.

Edited by 1974Centenary

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Much better second half. Created more than enough. 

Overall a draw would have been the 'right' result but shit happens. I think based on that we'll be in the mix for playoffs.

Another couple of additions and time to gel and we might challenge. 

Agreed. It always sucks to lose a game that we just as well could have won.

Â