Ratings and Reactions: Sheff Wed v Villa

limpid

Gollini - 8 - Impressive apart from the single mis-kick.

Hutton - 5 - Same as last year. Skinned by Foresteiri multiple times, including getting turned around. Get rid

Baker - 7 - Not bad, his job was to win headers which he did

Elphick - 8 - Good debut. Proper leader

Cissokho - 6 - Same as last year. Defends decently, only thing he has going forward is kick & chase

Bacuna - 6 - At least on the wing he can't do much damage and occasionally delivers good service

Westwood - 4 - Didn't even notice he was playing until his missed chance around 70 mins. Complete passenger

Gardner - 5 - Unlike Westwood was actually involved in the game. Same quality of output though (zero).

Ayew - 7 - Good going forward, poor defensively (but not surprising out of position)

McCormack - 7 - Good movement off the ball, looked most likely to score

Gestede - 5 - What's the point of playing him if we don't will supply him with crosses?

Tsibola - 6 - Looked good on the ball, actually played balls forward. Caught out a few times but just needs more game time

Grealish - 7 - Linked up well with Aly a few times. Looked smooth as always

Green - Not really on long enough

I think it was pretty obvious to most of us that our weakest area yesterday was the midfield and our full backs. We definitely need to fill out the center of the park with better options than the ones we have if we are to take control of games. As is will not suffice in the least. I wasn't filled with much confidence with Cissokho and Hutton either, but I'm not overly fussed atm if we strengthen in the middle where it is more crucial. Cissokho will leave place for Amavi when fit which will be an improvement and Hutton should be fine even though I'd prefer to see him replaced.

Overall I think we really played well in the second half. RMC will definitely be an asset for us and Ayew looks like he can destroy defenders. Gestede will only ever be useful against poor competition that sits back and parks the bus allowing us to ship balls at their goal. This might require new signings in wingers and controlling midfielders to happen as Hutton and Cissokho have proven time and time again that they will not be providing anything useful in this area. He might just prove surprisingly useful to us in this league, however he probably shouldn't have played today based on that display.

Elphick was enormous! Really pleased with his debut and I believe he will be a huge presence in this team this season. Gollini did great up until that one little mishap, he should not beat himself up for it. Was also satisfied with Baker's performance today. He's not the greatest at all times, but he's tough and wins balls in the air which we need considering Tommy's height ^^. Could be a good pairing them two.

Onwards and upwards, UTV!!

Hi, Fans, welcome to the Championship.Not the easiest of first matches for you, i agree. Thought we bossed the first half, then you turned it around at half time. Don't be too harsh on Gollini and his 'mis-kick'. The player he licked to was being harried by Nuhiu, not one of the most elegant of players, but difficult to shake off. You wouldn't have seen it properly, being at the far side, but before he scored,Ff beat your defender, took the ball to the by-line, cut in at a tight angle and forced an excellent save from Gollini which many GKs would not have stopped. Don't be too hard on McCormack. He's new to you, was robbed by an excellent tackle, and for the third time at S6 he had a quiet game.

Two things you must bear in mind. Don't think the lower clubs are a push over in this division. They're not Believe me. Last season, on paper, we should have rolled over MK Dons Rotherham and QPR. We didn't! Also forget about complaining over Refereeing decisions. Some of the ones are CRAP. Yesterday you were complaining about some of his decisions -so were we. The other thing is to watch for the mid-week and week-end fixtures in the dead of winter, when small clubs come and 'Park the Bus'. A point away at Villa park is a scalp and if they can score on the breakaway, even more so. It's a hard, tough division to escape from.

Anyway, pleased you were made welcome. Sorry you didn't get anything else. FWIW I think you will do reasonably well as you are, but will need to improve.And no more of this 'new players'. We had 3 new players in the side, most of the players playing in unfamiliar shirts, and with unfamiliar numbers. As for the traffic, its always terrible getting away from Sheffield, and there was a rather nasty accident on the Manchester Road. 4 Ambulances, and 4 Police cars trying to make their way across the general flow of traffic doesn't help.

Anyway, pleased you enjoyed it. See you hopefully at Villa Park , and both in the Premiership.

• Like 4

Terrible first half. Second half wasn't too bad. Mcomarck could have won it for us but yet again we shot ourselves in the foot. We need to keep hold of Ayew. We need to get rid of Cissokho and Gestede- his movement is awful. Gardner had a poor game as well and Westwood is as effective  in the championship as he was  in the premier league. 

I still enjoyed the game, there are some positives after a difficult first game. It was nice to meet up with some old faces and Hillsborough is still a classic English football ground to visit. the sun was out,  the flags fluttering on the north stand, a big crowd in- great stuff. 42 quid is a rip off though, but the Owls fans have to pay up to £49 quid for that match! Insane.  It is clear that some more signings are due so lets not panic. 45 games to go. Just need to beat Rotherham next week. UTV.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2016 at 18:33, Delphinho123 said:

All this nonsense knocking it between the back 3/4 and then back to the keeper has to stop, it was only a matter of time before an error was made by the otherwise excellent Gollini.

This,  this my God all day this. 

We have been doing it for years and I have no idea why.  You don't see other teams doing it. 

We have conceded all sorts of goals down the years.  It drives me barmy. 

Firstly if you are the defender if you knock it forward yourself and you miss kick at least the keeper is in place and probably teammates nearby to help intercept. 

As soon as you play it back to the keeper there is a chance of an interception,  a chance his clearance will be charged down and of course a miss kick. 

Why can't they take responsibility themselves. We are not Barcelona with oodles of players comfortable on the ball able to play is out of the back. 

I also wonder if we are far more suspect than other teams because of our lazy midfield so when the defender is on the ball no one is showing giving him options. If so a) the Manger needs to sort it out (4 have failed to) or we literally never do anything ever other than long clearances from the back because as it is we shoot ourselves in the foot or the shin or the hip or the bloody fingers over and over again.  It's like play it at the back groundhog day. 

It's ridiculous, they were doing it all match against Wednesday.

Eventually it would just go back to the keeper and he'd knock it long anyway so why not just do that straight away? Honestly, I said to my dad that it was only a matter of time before someone messed something up. It brings unwanted pressure.

I think the midfield two have something to answer for here though, it's hard to tell on TV but I'm guessing they weren't showing for the ball like they should. Either way, we can't keep putting our keeper under unnecessary pressure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

That single miskick cost us a point. I think 8/10 is very generous.

Did you watch the game?

Alongside Elphick, his shot stopping, high balls & kicking (until that point) had basically EARNED us a point. Would have been 9 or 10 until that point. Not bad for a 22 yr old on debut.

If it was a Guzan mistake I would agree but I was very impressed with his all-round game for a young keeper

39 minutes ago, mwj said:

Did you watch the game?

Alongside Elphick, his shot stopping, high balls & kicking (until that point) had basically EARNED us a point. Would have been 9 or 10 until that point. Not bad for a 22 yr old on debut.

If it was a Guzan mistake I would agree but I was very impressed with his all-round game for a young keeper

Did you watch the game? Yes.

Alongside Elphick, his shot stopping, high balls & kicking (until that point) had basically EARNED us a point. Would have been 9 or 10 until that point. I disagree. He did what he had to pretty well, that's all. And of course his howler cost us the game. 

Â