"Stuck" quote and spoiler boxes

limpid

Question

Just in case anyone else is wondering, these steps fix it for me.

If a quote, spoiler or any other "box" gets stuck

On mobile (I'm using Android 5 / 6 on a variety of devices all using Google Keyboard):

• I refresh the page in my browser (chrome)
  • tap at the end of the message
  • hold down the delete key until all the text and the "box" are deleted
  • although this now seems to work for me every time, in the past I've needed to select a word by long tap or double tap and choose "select all" and then cut.

On desktop (using Chrome):

• Refresh the page
  • When I hover over the "box" a little + appears in the top right
  • Screenshot_20160804_103413.png 
  • Ctrl-right click on that + gives a new menu. This doesn't work every time and sometimes you will get your browser's normal right click menu. Just try again.
  • Screenshot_20160804_103524.png
  • Click "remove quote"

(I've just done this twice while writing this reply)

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Deletes the txt but does not delete the rocker. I am doing exactly what you say I assure you!

Damn you modern world!

So weird. Hopefully someone comes up with another way of doing it. If I get chance to play with an S7 I'll have a try.

I'm going to pull these last few messages into a separate thread as the post I made is a bit lost otherwise.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Using a tablet, or a phone, none of the above works for me (I have a stuck quote box in the OT Piss You Off thread). If the missus will get off the laptop, I'll try it on there. 

Even clearing cookies and cache doesn't remove it?

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Good point, I'll try that. 

EDIT: Yep, that did it. I always forget the obvious, sorry.  :blush:

You shouldn't need to do it, but it least it gets you past the problem. I've no idea what the browser does that causes this. It'll get fixed magically at some point in the webkit code, but until then it'll happen from time to time.

Usually the methods in this thread work. If it's a regular problem for anyone, consider using the @mjmooney tagging. Type @ and the beginning of a poster's name and click the poster when it pops up.

Â