International Football General Chat

villa4europe

Can't understand why they kept Low on, it would be like England keeping Hodgson after Iceland debacle.

Negativity remains while he stays in charge and think they've also lost the fear factor. Guess they'll try to get one more tournament out of the old guard and then rebuild properly for 2022. Time will tell whether both decisions are major errors.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

:D

ENGLAND: THE FA WILL NOT DONATE ANY MONEY RAISED BY ‘WAYNE ROONEY FOUNDATION INTERNATIONAL’ FRIENDLY TO WAYNE ROONEY FOUNDATION

As if Wayne Rooney’s imminent one-night-only return to the England squad wasn’t pointless enough to begin with, The FA have confirmed that the upcoming friendly against the USA at Wembley will not be a charitable affair after all.

For the uninitiated, two years after retiring from international football, Rooney has been invited to turn out for one last hurrah, an appearance that would increase his cap tally to a nice round 120 – all backed by a near-total absence of public demand.

Despite calling the match “The Wayne Rooney Foundation International”, The Times report that The FA will not be passing on a single penny of the gate receipts (takings of around £3million are expected) to the player’s eponymous organisation, nor do they plan to donate a fixed lump sum.

However, The FA have confirmed that fans will be able to make their own donations to the foundation on match day, though further details are not immediately available.

As for the match itself, the Guardian add that the general feeling within the actual England squad in the run-up is one of mild confusion, with Gareth Southgate torn over which shirt number to allocate to Rooney given that the 33-year-old isn’t likely to start against the States but would like to wear his old No.10 jersey for the big occasion.

All in all, a roaring success.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/england/279521/england-the-fa-will-not-donate-any-money-raised-by-wayne-rooney-foundation-international-friendly-to-wayne-rooney-foundation.html

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Junxs said:

How come Wales are playing at Cardiff City stadium rather than the Millennium Stadium?

They have played there for a good while, think it was for atmosphere as cant sell out millenium stadium

• Thanks 1

Scotland's arrival in Albania late on the night before their Nations League game has been branded "madness" by former Celtic striker Scott McDonald.

Alex McLeish and his squad flew in on Friday evening ahead of Saturday's 19:45 GMT kick-off.

McDonald said: "To get on an aeroplane less than 24 hours before a game is nonsense.

"Why have they travelled so late? You are giving players excuses before they've even started."

Scotland sit three points behind League C Group 1 leaders Israel with two games remaining and McDonald thinks they would have benefitted from visiting the Loro Borici Stadium in Shkoder to acclimatise.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46244056

Thank God this **** clearing in the woods is no longer anywhere near this club.

20 hours ago, Junxs said:

How come Wales are playing at Cardiff City stadium rather than the Millennium Stadium?

Because it looks shit when they're playing in a stadium that's a quarter full.

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Thank God this **** clearing in the woods is no longer anywhere near this club.

It's a 2 hour flight to play a shit Albania team they comfortably beat a month ago, Not a trip to the Maracana or something

Scotland currently 4-0 up with 20 minutes to go so looks like the lack of opportunity to run around a field in Albania hasn't had too much of an impact on a Scotland squad missing 7 players through withdrawals this week alone

• Like 3

I nearly posted something saying that I thought that was a crappy complaint, but then I didn't bother. The guy moaning would absolutely have been moaning equally hard in the alternative-world scenario of spending three nights in an Albanian hotel eating Albanian food and training on whatever they've got that passes for a training pitch. 

17 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I nearly posted something saying that I thought that was a crappy complaint, but then I didn't bother. The guy moaning would absolutely have been moaning equally hard in the alternative-world scenario of spending three nights in an Albanian hotel eating Albanian food and training on whatever they've got that passes for a training pitch. 

In fairness they only arrived in Israel a on the morning of their last away game and lost that. I certainly didn't think a poor Scotland team missing half their players would do that, thought they'd lose.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Another fine defensive show from Martinez. Absolute sham

Agree on this game but to his credit Belgium are ranked #1 in the world and finished 3rd at the WC.

Then again it's about where they should be considering their talent pool.

Â