International Football General Chat

villa4europe

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Messi international retirement lasted less than 2 months. farcical

more of a joke he is brought back as captain, what a leader he is. throwing tantrums

And scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win against Uruguay to go top of the group!

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Neymar been unbelievable tonight.

He will drag Brazil kicking and screaming to the World Cup.

1 goal behind Zico now and still only 24. He's going to pass Pele as their leading ever scorer. 

I've been very critical of him in the past but he was brilliant last night, playing wide left for most but his passing and work rate were superb. Helps aswell he dosen't have an OAP upfront to hit passes too, Tite is onto something putting a mobile quick player like Gabriel Jesus up there.

Very impressed by Brazil last night...and it takes a lot for me to say that! Very balanced and compact.

On Messi whatever you think of his shady off the field dealings there is no player in world football who is as good to watch as him when he's at it. And certainly last night he played with a point to prove.

BBC article

El Salvador's national football team say they have refused a bribe to fix Tuesday's World Cup 2018 qualifying game against Canada.

At a news conference, team members played an audio recording of the person allegedly offering various incentives.

Canada must beat El Salvador in Vancouver and hope Mexico defeat Honduras in the final round of Group A games to stand a chance of progressing.

El Salvador cannot progress to the final round of qualifying.

"It's the most dramatic thing in football I've seen for some time now," investigative journalist Declan Hill told the BBC World Service.

"The entire team came in with their coaches and said they had been approached on Saturday. They played an 11-minute conversation with the attempted match-fixer.

"He was offering each player a variety of money per minute depending on the result they could get. The most they would have got for allegedly fixing the match would have been about $3,000 per player."

Hill said the offer was allegedly made by an El Salvadorian who knew some of the players, but who wanted to aid the Honduras national team.

The BBC has approached the Honduras football association for comment.

Canada, El Salvador, Honduras and Mexico are members of the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf).

Three Concacaf nations will qualify for the 2018 World Cup automatically, with a fourth entering a play-off against a team from the Asian Football Confederation.

That's an interesting one for me,....I originally assumed someone from Canada had approached them to lose given Canada need to win big and hope Honduras lose to progress.

It's not illegal in Spain is it...when teams are fighting relegation they can approach mid table teams with little to play for who are playing their rivals and offer "incentives."

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

That's an interesting one for me,....I originally assumed someone from Canada had approached them to lose given Canada need to win big and hope Honduras lose to progress.

It's not illegal in Spain is it...when teams are fighting relegation they can approach mid table teams with little to play for who are playing their rivals and offer "incentives."

In Spain is they usually give presents like wine for beating an opposition. thats not really match fixing

Â