Sheffield Wednesday fan view

StefanAVFC

cheers for the responses Wawaw. I've always held Wednesday in similar regards, possibly due to the fact they were one of the clubs I remember us competing with growing up, didn't think you'd have stayed down so long. Sunday will be tough I expect, and you're probably right about the long slog of a season. Fortunately we've got a couple of players and manager who've been there so I cautiously expect us to be up and around the top 6 eventually. 

15 hours ago, WAWAW said:

A proper club.

Welcome to the site mate :thumb: good luck for the new season. like I said in pre match thread I like Wednesday, I hope both teams can get promoted this season. Wednesday have been out the premier league way too long. 

As I've mentioned before I work in Sheffield and with a load of Wednesday fans. They're all confident of a win bar one who thinks it'll be 0-0. It's interesting what they think of our team though. Most have said they think Gestede will be a real danger! They've also said their strikers will bully Lescott and Richards out of the game. Most didn't know we'd signed anyone either. That tells me that they don't know much about what to expect form us this season. They're confident after last season and understandably so. 

They also have a nickname for Bannan - Banaldinho! Yep, seriously! 

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Most have said they think Gestede will be a real danger! They've also said their strikers will bully Lescott and Richards out of the game.

Aside from the probable fact that all 3 of them won't play, spot on! :D

For those of you interested our team is likely to be:-

Westwood - voted into The Champ PFA team of the year twice. There isn't a better keeper out of PL in our opinion.

Hunt - attacking right back. Great going forward can be exposed defensively.

Pudil - on loan with us all last season. Purchased from Watford for £2.5m this Summer. Attacking left back and again better going forward than defending.

Lees - signed on a free transfer from Leeds a few seasons ago. He's been brilliant. Burnley have reportedly earmarked him as Michael Keane's replacement if Leicester get their man. Hopefully we'll keep him.

Hutchinson - Chelsea thought he was going to partner and then replace Terry.  A glittering career awaited. Unfortunately dodgy knees forced him to retire early. He trained Chelsea's kids for a few years and noticed his knees weren't hurting anymore. Made a playing comeback and Wednesday are the lucky beneficiaries. Not many better players than Sam but he still has biscuit knees. If he plays 30 matches this season we'll be happy.

Abdi - signed from Watford for £4m last week. Played 32 PL matches for Watford last season. A technician that was always good for double figures in the Champiinship with Watford.

Lee - The midfield engine. He's everywhere, chipped in with 8 goals last season.

Bannan - you know as much as me. Our playmaker and worked his socks off last aeason. Seems to like being loved and he certainly is at Hillsborough.

Forestieri - our talisman. Scored 15 goals last season, mainly from the left wing cutting in.

Hooper - out and out goalscorer. He'll be hoping for 20 goals this season.

Fletcher - again you'll know more than me due to his PL career. His aerial strength gives us an option we didn't have last season.

In general, we have a team full of goals. CC has us well organised and drilled.

The team spirit and bond with the fans is a very special one at the moment. One you rarely get in football.

Weaknesses?

We are definitely not a big team and therefore sometimes get exposed from crosses or set pieces.

Also think our full backs can be exposed by goid wingers, especially with pace.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

@WAWAW cheers for the insight, sounds like our Villa boys have a lot to do :wacko:

We're not Barcelona.

Your players are worth more than ours.

but we played 27 league and cup matches at home last season - we won 17 and lost 2.

but we have a few new signings and a few more to come so maybe it's a good time to play us.

Then again, I suppose we could say the same.

Toss if a coin job.

in my experience, the first match of the season rarely indicates what is to come for the rest of the season.

@WAWAW  good insight into your team but if honest can you see Fletcher and Hooper working together? just see,too similar for me

also dont think Ross Wallace will start? have say probably not a better dead ball delivery in top 2 English divisions than him and he has been consistent as well with it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

@WAWAW  good insight into your team but if honest can you see Fletcher and Hooper working together? just see,too similar for me

also dont think Ross Wallace will start? have say probably not a better dead ball delivery in top 2 English divisions than him and he has been consistent as well with it

Wallace is the most likely person to start I didn't mention.

Due to the late purchase of Abdi, he could remain sub. Otherwise, Forestieri could start upfront with Wallace coming in for Hooper.

Wednesday play 4-4-2 although the midfield is very fluid with all four midfielders allowed to interchange. Therefore, we will almost certainly start with two strikers. I haven't seen much of Fletcher but I don't see him and Hooper as similar at all. Hooper often drops into little pockets to receive the ball into space, otherwise he occupies himself with playing on the shoulder of the opposition defence. Whereas Fletcher appears to run the channels, feed off crosses due to his aerial strength and if the ball is played to him he likes it into him with the defender being held off or on his head for the flick on.

The early signs are that they work well as a pair and compliment each other nicely.

On 3 August 2016 at 13:20, StefanAVFC said:

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of doing a fan view for this season. The Championship is a new experience for most of us so there's plenty of new groups of fans to hear from. It'll most likely be a collection of questions (around 8) that will be posted on the forum of the team we're going up against. Obviously our first match is coming soon so I want to get it set up for Sunday.

I'm posting to get a few ideas of some questions. It'll most likely be 5/6 generic ones then 2 specific to the team we're up against.

So guys, please suggest some questions that I could put on Owlstalk.

Thanks!

You've made it on Owlstalk :-)

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/243721-ready-for-villa-fans-invasion/&page=1

26 minutes ago, WAWAW said:

Interesting reading, thanks for the link WAWAW. With regards to the Banaldinho comment, as I see it's been mentioned on there. It's just what I've been told from a few fans at work so doesn't necessarily represent the views of all Owls fans. 

Anyway, I hope for a good game on Sunday. I don't expect us to win, although I'd bloody love it if we did. I've always found Wednesday fans to be a decent set of people and I consider SW to be a top flight club. Dream scenario would be for us both to go up automatically. Newcastle to lose the play off final and Blues to go down. 

Hi, there, Villa fans.

Interested to read the conversations about your visit to us on Sunday.  Couple of points made following WAWAW's posts.

1. If you are arriving by train, it is possible to get to the ground by tram. If you arrive at the Midland Station, exit by the main entrance and make your way into the City Centre, Fitzalan Square. There you can pick up ALL the trams. If not, go out by the far entrance and pick up a tram immediately outside the station.It should be signed 'MALIN BRIDGE'. Buy a dayrider which allows you travel on all trams. If you do this, change at either Fitzalan Sq., or Cathedral, and catch a tram for MIDDLEWOOD. Whatever you do , do NOT alight at the 'Hillsborough' stop. The Middlewood tram will carry on for a further two stops before you alight at the 'LEPPINGS LANE' stop which then leaves a short walk down to the ground, and the entrance to the West Stand, which is where you want.

If you come by car, head for Penistone Road where you can park in the Wednesdayite Car Park. From here, go to the Chinese chippy at the bottom of Vere Road. This , though there may be a queue, is an excellent spot. Go along Vere Road, the turn Left. The ground is then immediately in front of you.  Have a good journey, and enjoy your day, but don't repay our hospitality by taking home 3 points.

• Like 1

Â