Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Just doesn't fit our system really, does he?  I was excited about his transfer and he's shown that he's certainly a very capable player, but he looks like completely the wrong signing.

We should have more than one system and hopefully if Bruce gets some players in in January, particularly a couple of midfielders, he might feel more comfortable utilising multiple systems based on our opponents and/or personnel available. McCormack could easily fit into another system or we could build one around him. 

One thing is for sure, we should never write a player off after this length of time, especially one who has proven in the past to be lethal in this league.

• Like 1

I'm so glad at the reaction in here. Judging by the people around me in the Holte you'd have thought Ross had an absolute stinker!

THought he did well today. Some of his flicks and through balls are very very intelligent.

If we can work him into a role where we can use that he can still be a big player for us.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Probably his best performance in a Villa shirt today. 

Second half yes, he came alive.

First 50 minutes I was again wondering where he fits into our team.

I thought he'd get hooked when we put Ayew on so looks like he got a boost from the show of faith from SB.

40 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Head and shoulders above the rest ( except Grealish) in football intelligence.

Glad he is finally starting. next step is to work out how to get the ball to him more, dangerous with almost every touch.

I think the answer to that may be contained within your first sentence. 

The trouble with McCormack is that he is a completely different type of player to all of our attacking players other than Grealish. Whilst McCormack is clever player who wants to play nice little 1-2's around the box (see our disallowed goal), Kodjia, Ayew and Adomah, are very direct, head down and go sorts, which i think McCormack has found frustrating. 

Today i counted at least 5 occasions in first half when he was screaming for a ball that never came. There have been times in this thread when people have pointed that out as being moody or petulant, but you really can understand his frustration at times. 

So for me the only way you are going to get the best out of him is by selecting people around him who play the same way, ie Grealish. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Very happy for him. Well deserved goal second half. Him and grealish link up well together. 

They do, and we need to try and take advantage of this against "poorer" opponents more efficiently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm so glad at the reaction in here. Judging by the people around me in the Holte you'd have thought Ross had an absolute stinker!

THought he did well today. Some of his flicks and through balls are very very intelligent.

If we can work him into a role where we can use that he can still be a big player for us.

Not sure where you sit in the Holte but the number of retards in L7 that slate him is beyond belief, yes he's not reached his full potential (with us) but he's clearly got ability and as others have said is probably too clever (like Grealish) for many of his teammates, very good, mainly second half today; hope he can kick on from here.

As I said in the Ayew thread, he's an intelligent footballer player, playing with a bunch of players who don't play a particularly clever game. I thought he was poor first half, improved when Grealish came on, then improved again when Ayew come on. Intelligent players are better with intelligent players around them. I'd like to see McCormack keep his starting spot and have someone like Grealish or Ayew around him, because that's how he'll thrive.

• Like 2

Â