Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I would be reluctant to appraise him while we have such a poor midfield.

Totally agree.

It also took him time to settle at Fulham and once he did the goals kept coming.

I'm hoping he proves his worth when the African Nations is on because we badly need him to.

• Like 1

I'd persevere with him on Boxing Day. I saw glimpses on Sunday to suggest he will find his form again but it didn't help that he was left isolated by what was essentially a 2 man midfield. 

I feel like Bruce has generally gotten it wrong with McCormack. Start him in a home game with Grealish and Kodjia perhaps, see how they gel. I thought Grealish and McCormack linked up well earlier in the season. 

Just as important for Ross will be the signing of a midfielder with legs, so he isn't as isolated. 

• Like 3

Needs to be played as a number 10 behind Kodja playing as the 9. However to do this, and keep the 3 cm's that we have to play in the side, would mean that we would be totally unbalanced with no width. Square peg for a round hole.

55 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Needs to be played as a number 10 behind Kodja playing as the 9. However to do this, and keep the 3 cm's that we have to play in the side, would mean that we would be totally unbalanced with no width. Square peg for a round hole.

We only have to pay the 3rd centre mid because the 2nd man next to Jedinak usually isn't good enough. 

You're right though that in order to play with 2 forwards we need to find that balance in the transfer window. I do think we should try and incorporate McCormack if we can. We haven't seen anything resembling the best of him, he's actually very good at this level. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We only have to pay the 3rd centre mid because the 2nd man next to Jedinak usually isn't good enough. 

I'm not sure 'The Beard' has the legs to play in a two man midfield either to be honest. He moves like the titanic. Anyway we agree, McCormack is a vicitim of circumstance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think Jedinak has earned his wages recently and should be paid accordingly. Not sure about the other CMs though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

I flog him to anyone willing to hand over a couple of mill

I don't think people will be queing up for him tbf. I dread to think how much we are paying him, I still can't believe how much we paid for him either.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Richard said:

I flog him to anyone willing to hand over a couple of mill

That'd be plain stupid, considering his goal scoring record in this league!? For whatever reason, he hasn't yet performed for us, but common sense says it's just a matter of time, right?

I also think that he needs a run of games, I'm not sure when Kodja's leaving but looking at January: Cardiff a, Spurs a (FA Cup), Wolves a, PNE h, Bristol h, Brentford a, 

I hope he gets a good run and builds up his fitness & confidence, I would expect him to be scoring 3/4 goals in that run of games. 

As long as Bruce doesn't go with Gabby instead.. :suspect::unsure:

Edited by Bomvilla7

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Just doesn't fit our system really, does he?  I was excited about his transfer and he's shown that he's certainly a very capable player, but he looks like completely the wrong signing.

And we know this based upon a handful of matches he's played? I might be mistaken but wasn't QPR his first start under SB? He's been out injured for most of the season ffs.

22 minutes ago, vreitti said:

And we know this based upon a handful of matches he's played? I might be mistaken but wasn't QPR his first start under SB? He's been out injured for most of the season ffs.

I'm not ruling him out - I think he's a good player, but where does he play?  Out and out striker?  Doesn't seem that way.  Number 10?  We don't even play with one in our setup.  Out wide?  Maybe - does he replace Grealish/Adomah/Ayew?  Central midfield?

He seems like a good player but just wrong for us.  Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we'll find a way to get the best out of McCormack and also Kodjia/Grealish/Ayew/whoever.

He doesn't seem mobile enough for a wide position. In my view his best position is just behind a striker. I suppose that's the number 10 position then? As you said, we don't employ that formation at the moment. But maybe we should? Call me crazy, but we've paid £15m for a proven goalscorer, perhaps we ought to adjust and play to his strengths!?

Kodjia can surely adapt, come in from wide positions, and maybe even play as our main striker if push comes to shove. He mostly does his own thing anyway. Gestede however would be a more natural partner for Ross. Ayew at current form I wouldn't even include in the 18 man squad.

Edited by vreitti

Â