Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

Been a long time since I've seen a centre forward play for us with a decent first touch and a bit of awareness (Robbie Keane maybe?).

Should have scored for sure but if we can add some more talent around him he'll be a huge plus for us. Quicker than I expected as well. 

Very worried when he held his hammy but he didn't have any ice on it after so hopefully it'll be Ok. 

He certainly had a touch of class about him Dave. While I'm making comparisons, he also reminded me a bit of Robbie Keane. I think he will create just as many as he scores this season. 

Just noticed @villaglint above also making the Robbie Keane comparison.

Edited by av1

Very impressed today and hopeful for the future - saw some great movement and runs inbetween the centrebacks but the pass never came.. if we get someone who can make some of these passes before the window closes can easily see him scoring a bucketload.

Really noticed how good his corners were as well. Something we havent had for a long while

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

I don't confess to know a lot about the boy McCormack but him taking corners is like Kane taking the corners for England.

He's a striker....Some one else do it.....Get him in the dangerzone.

His set piece delivery is excellent and I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard of him scoring a goal with his head. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

I don't confess to know a lot about the boy McCormack but him taking corners is like Kane taking the corners for England.

You are one of those "old school" type of chaps, aren't you?

I think the plan was always to give him 60-75 mins.

For a guy that has hardly had a pre season I think he looked sharp.

A nice touch and very intelligent movement. 

I understand the Robbie Keane comparisons. Let's get some more quality around him and he'll be away.

10 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

He is a midget though in terms of height, you wouldnt want Messi in the box as well for corners would you :P

3 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

aguero is not massive, or defoe. And Im pretty sure Robbie Keane never took the corners.

I don't mind him having the direct free kicks.

Just not corners.

Are they good at taking corners?

I've seen Keane take them, FYI. I saw him take one in the Euro's.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

aguero is not massive, or defoe. And Im pretty sure Robbie Keane never took the corners.

I don't mind him having the direct free kicks.

Just not corners.

I thought we lost a bit of attacking intend when he came off today.

Not every player is the same.. I am sure Aguero is shit at taking corners so he's better off in the box even if he's not gonna get anywhere near it. McCormack clearly has a pretty great corner and is a short arse so why not let him take them? Just because it's traditional to have the strikers in the box for corners doesn't mean it fits all strikers.. You are right though we lacked a fair bit once he came off. Green and Grealish offered loads of attacking movement, but the guy that would have benefited went off to make way for them which is unfortunate. 

Shit touch for his big chance and should've scored. Aside from that, I saw a lot of things to be positive about. His runs are superb, he's brilliant at keeping on the shoulder of the defender, but then he also comes deep and gets in to good positions and plays the ball around nicely. Would like to see him with Grealish and Ayew around him.

Are people just sseing positives because of his price tag? It was his first game today so I won't judge yet but he was garbage this afternoon. Hopefully he will be better when he is up to full fitness. He has a good record in this league but you would never have known based on that performance

6 minutes ago, KHV said:

Are people just sseing positives because of his price tag? It was his first game today so I won't judge yet but he was garbage this afternoon. Hopefully he will be better when he is up to full fitness. He has a good record in this league but you would never have known based on that performance

I saw a Q and A where a Fulham fan said it took him about six weeks to get up to speed there so we should be patient. However I didn't see the game and couldn't make a judgment myself.

11 minutes ago, KHV said:

Are people just sseing positives because of his price tag? 

Yeah people are that shallow in their opinions that they can only make a judgement on a player based on price.

Come off it.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah people are that shallow in their opinions that they can only make a judgement on a player based on price.

Come off it.

Villa fans and people are two different things :-)

I thought he was great when he was involved.. but didnt get involved enough. Problem was the first half we were overrun and diabolical. Second half we were better and he was dangerous but then we took him off for fitness. I liked what i saw though.. his overall game looked good. Set pieces looked good too. Cant wait to see him get going..

• Like 1

Â