Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

I would ask where this figure is being sourced from but I'm guessing rumour, most of our signings from last summer and Jan will all be earning a pretty sum which is largely down to the Dr financing us to try to get us promoted. I for kne have absolutely no problem with that and accept there will be some good and some bad, and what's the alternative? A Randy ? 

At what point does an AWOL footballer get his contract torn up?

Not saying RM deserves such treatment - if he has mental health issues then obviously he doesn't.

But the situation does beg the question.

Have these issues started since he signed with Villa or have they been there before that? If it's the latter then someone **** up big time when researching the character of the player.

I'm starting to believe the real issue might be a drinking problem. Speaking from experience unfortunately.

Or could it be that finally getting his "big move" and failing destroyed him mentally?

Who knows.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't think Ross could ever justify £50,000 a week even playing week in week out at his then level. I think that is staggering that this deal was signed off as a Championship side. There should be major question marks asked here.

i think he was signed at a time where automatic promotion was envisaged in which case they threw money at who they thought would do that. 

I'm not saying it was smart. In fact it has proved to be quite dumb. However if Ross had played his part in our promotion then I think his wages could be justified. 

Hindsight. The friend that's never around until its too late too help. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm starting to believe the real issue might be a drinking problem. Speaking from experience unfortunately.

Or could it be that finally getting his "big move" and failing destroyed him mentally?

Who knows.

When he pulled his antics with Villa, I thought then that he might have a depression/anxiety/drink/drugs crisis. Clearly this is more serious than just Jack Grealish-style fuckups. I hope he gets the help he needs.

• Like 2

Given our history I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

But do we have behavior clauses in our contracts, and is there any way we can cancel his?

Even with player power being what it is, we surely can't be expected to pay him £50k/w to sit around and get fat and drunk?

41 minutes ago, sne said:

But do we have behavior clauses in our contracts, and is there any way we can cancel his?

Even with player power being what it is, we surely can't be expected to pay him £50k/w to sit around and get fat and drunk?

I'd do it for a fraction of the cost and I'm already halfway there!

1 hour ago, sne said:

Isn't that pretty much what we've paid Gabby to do for a few years now?

10 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Jesus Christ, we're going to be stuck with him aren't we. Who in their right mind would take him even on a cut price deal. What a financial disaster. 

Sunderland maybe?

If it's mental issues then I agree that we need to put an arm around him and help him through it. Alienating him and treating him like a waster will only do further harm. He's a good player and he can play a part for us next season, but he needs help to get him back to that point. It's in OUR best interests to get him there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

If it's mental issues then I agree that we need to put an arm around him and help him through it. Alienating him and treating him like a waster will only do further harm. He's a good player and he can play a part for us next season, but he needs help to get him back to that point. It's in OUR best interests to get him there.

It is true if there are deeper issues than the club ought to support him. However if it's laziness and just after a pay day than he deartves absolutely no sympathy

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

If it is mental problems, it should be like any other employee. Signed off work ( so picking up statutory pay, after the allocated sick pay) and then to follow NHS or private medical care advice. Why should footballers be treated differently?

The good thing about this news is that he may not be the unproffesional waster he has been painted in recent times!

if he's genuinely ill that would explain a lot of his actions, not condone but definately explain.

there is also the chance that with the correct attention he could recover!

• Like 1

It is starting to sound more and more like a genuine problem that needs help, rather than a wayward professional.  That doesn't mean Villa were wrong at the time, because these things develop over a time period.  Maybe that was the start of it.  But it might mean that they change how they deal with it from this point onwards.  It's never nice to see someone potentially unravelling in a relatively public eye, with the lack of empathy that goes with someone simply earning a large wage.  You can ask fans to spare a thought, but there'll always be those who can't or won't.

Â