Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Does anybody know anything about Sheffield Wednesday's team? Why is this a "tough opener" other than them being a "big club" and us being terminally crap?

Do they have any decent players who will cause us problems?

This is a journey to the unknown...we are playing teams that I would suggest most of us couldn't even name one of their players.

Feels odd. 

It seems unlikely at the moment but it would be amazing if we could sign a new striker in time for Sunday. Someone to give the team a lift. Like everyone else I'll be bloody annoyed if we start with Gestede as our main 'goal threat'. 

It's unlucky we've got Wednesday first, couldn've done with something a bit easier to give us confidence. I'm not going to predict as I'm really not sure which way it will go. They won't be at the same level they were at the end of last season, it's the first game and everyone will be a bit rusty. 

I hope to god we don't lose, not just for the same reasons as you all but also I work in Sheffield and will get no end of stick from the Wednesday-ites. It's reminiscent of when Blues first went up, I didn't know many of their fans (tend not to mix in those circles) but the company I joined at the time, my manager and both directors were all Blouses. Up steps Enckleman and well, you know the rest. I got plenty of piss taking on a Monday morning, we didn't beat them once in the time I worked there. I hope it's not the same this time!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Holtern8 said:

This is a journey to the unknown...we are playing teams that I would suggest most of us couldn't even name one of their players.

ClOqayTXIAELJPG?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

They just signed Steven Fletcher, to go with Forestieri up front. Bannan of course plus Ross Wallace in midfield, he seems to be rated by their fans. As does Kieran Lee. Westwood is a good keeper, I'd liked us to have signed him to replace Guzan.

Outside of those I don't know much about them. 

• Like 1

--------------------Gollini------------------

--Hutton----Elphick----Baker-----Cissokho--

-Bacuna--Gardner--Westwood---Grealish--

------------Gestede-----Ayew-------------------

Pretty much guaranteed to see this. Vereout for Bacuna, Tshibola for Gardner, Sinclair for Gestede?

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is going to be tricky. 

-------------------Gollini--------------------

Hutton-----Elphick------Clark-------Amavi

-----Tshibola----Westwood---Gardner------

-----------------Grealish--------------------

---------Gestede---------Ayew------------

Two things about this team:

1. I'l be amazed if it's our starting eleven - i could have another eight guesses at it and they'd all be wrong.
  2. I don't think it'll beat Wednesday.

Going into training tomorrow, I Don't think even RDM knows his starting 11

Away to Sheffield Wednesday somehow seems the most appropriate way to kick off this campaign.

They'll be looking for a big scalp, and their fans will be up for it too. 

2-0 to them.

5 hours ago, Holtern8 said:

Does anybody know anything about Sheffield Wednesday's team? Why is this a "tough opener" other than them being a "big club" and us being terminally crap?

Feels odd. 

They probably should have gone up last year after smashing brighton in the play-off semis but blew it in the final.

They only lost 2 games at home all season

They scored 66 goals (4th highest in the league)

Hooper & Forestieri scored more goals between them than our entire team managed last season. They have added Steven Fletcher & Alman Abdi (Played with Forestieri at watford) to that attack since then.

14 hours ago, Czechlad said:

--------------------Gollini------------------

--Hutton----Elphick----Baker-----Cissokho--

-Bacuna--Gardner--Westwood---Grealish--

------------Gestede-----Ayew-------------------

Pretty much guaranteed to see this. Vereout for Bacuna, Tshibola for Gardner, Sinclair for Gestede?

I think this will be the team.

Hutton/Baker/Cissokho/Bacuna/Westwood/Gestede should be nowhere near our starting XI, but sadly we'll be seeing them all on Sunday I imagine.

Sigh.

I'd play.

---------------------Gollini-----------------------
Hutton--------Elphick----Baker--------Amavi
-----------Tshibola-------Gardner--------------
Green------------Grealish----------------Ayew
---------------Hepburn-Murphy----------------

I don't want Bacuna, Gestede and co. anywhere near our team. They're done at our club.
I'd rather lose with that team than lose having to watch the same old plodders we had to put up with last season.

• Like 2

Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough last season: 24 games, 14 wins, 8 draws, 2 losses (Boro & Rotherham), 44 goals scored, conceded 17. 

I'd be very happy with a point.

Edited by KJT123
  • Like 3

I'd play:

Gollini

Okore     Elphick    Baker    Amavi

Sanchez

Westwood            Tshibola

Grealish

Ayew       Gestede

Subs: Steer, Hutton, Cissokho, Bacuna, Gardner, Sinclair, Kozak

Reasoning:

Hutton is a major drag on every attack, nullifying us every time by demanding the ball in the wrong place, not overlapping when he should and then being right at the heart of why we lost the ball for a dangerous counter attack. But he's committed so he grudgingly gets a place on the bench. Okore has shown some great pace previously and naturally seems to drift out wide anyway so he would slot in at right back with no problems. Cissokho is pretty bad all around so if Amavi is in any way fit he gets in.

Sanchez is great at breaking up play and when encouraged to keep it simple and play it on, he's really effective there. He'll have a mistake a game but match sharpness will come with games.

For all his detractors, Westwood is still a very tidy player who can pick some great passes now and again.

Tshibola showed real drive on Saturday and looks to be a decent replacement for Gueye.

Grealish because he's going to tear defences apart this season.

Ayew and Gestede up front with Ayew looking to run off Gestede's flick ons or knock downs. Really could do with a bit more there but it's all we've got.

• Like 1