Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

I really can't imagine Okore at right back - it would be very unnatural for him - I'm okay with Hutton, Bacuna is a passable right back at this level...just, Richards could play there but I don't like him - Lyden would be the natural choice if you don't like those three I think - at a push I'd rather try Gardner there than Okore. 

Sanchez is very good at breaking up play - but sadly he's now got about three colossal mistakes a games in him - for me he's too much of a liability regardless of his good points.

Gollini 

Hutton Elphick Baker Amavi 

Tshibola Gardner 

Bacuna Ayew Grealish 

Gestede 

Maybe not the team I'd choose but I think that's what it will be. I'd be very happy with the draw at this stage. 

If McCormack comes off in time that could change things dramatically. 

7 hours ago, darrenm said:

I'd play:

Gollini

Okore     Elphick    Baker    Amavi

Sanchez

Westwood            Tshibola

Grealish

Ayew       Gestede

Subs: Steer, Hutton, Cissokho, Bacuna, Gardner, Sinclair, Kozak

Reasoning:

Hutton is a major drag on every attack, nullifying us every time by demanding the ball in the wrong place, not overlapping when he should and then being right at the heart of why we lost the ball for a dangerous counter attack. But he's committed so he grudgingly gets a place on the bench. Okore has shown some great pace previously and naturally seems to drift out wide anyway so he would slot in at right back with no problems. Cissokho is pretty bad all around so if Amavi is in any way fit he gets in.

Sanchez is great at breaking up play and when encouraged to keep it simple and play it on, he's really effective there. He'll have a mistake a game but match sharpness will come with games.

For all his detractors, Westwood is still a very tidy player who can pick some great passes now and again.

Tshibola showed real drive on Saturday and looks to be a decent replacement for Gueye.

Grealish because he's going to tear defences apart this season.

Ayew and Gestede up front with Ayew looking to run off Gestede's flick ons or knock downs. Really could do with a bit more there but it's all we've got.

Like the look of this team. I mean, it won't happen but I like the look of it. 

Gollini

Hutton     Elphick    Clark    Amavi

Sanchez

Grealish

Ayew       McCormack

20 hours ago, darrenm said:

I'd play:

Gollini

Okore     Elphick    Baker    Amavi

Sanchez

Grealish

Ayew       Gestede

Subs: Steer, Hutton, Cissokho, Bacuna, Gardner, Sinclair, Kozak

Reasoning:

Hutton is a major drag on every attack, nullifying us every time by demanding the ball in the wrong place, not overlapping when he should and then being right at the heart of why we lost the ball for a dangerous counter attack. But he's committed so he grudgingly gets a place on the bench. Okore has shown some great pace previously and naturally seems to drift out wide anyway so he would slot in at right back with no problems. Cissokho is pretty bad all around so if Amavi is in any way fit he gets in.

Sanchez is great at breaking up play and when encouraged to keep it simple and play it on, he's really effective there. He'll have a mistake a game but match sharpness will come with games.

For all his detractors, Westwood is still a very tidy player who can pick some great passes now and again.

Tshibola showed real drive on Saturday and looks to be a decent replacement for Gueye.

Grealish because he's going to tear defences apart this season.

Ayew and Gestede up front with Ayew looking to run off Gestede's flick ons or knock downs. Really could do with a bit more there but it's all we've got.

Terrible line up

I don't think this will happen.... and I really don't know if it would work but looking at our squad I think 3-5-2 would work for us.

Gives extra protecting to us at the back with our full backs flying forward

Only draw backs I couldn't think of a better wingback than Bacuna and Westwood would need to be replaced.

----------------------------Gollini----------------------------

---------Okore----------Elphick------------Baker--------

Bacuna---------Westwood----Tshibola--------------Amavi

-----------------------------Grealish-----------------------------

----------------Ayew-------------------McCormack------------

22 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I really can't imagine Okore at right back - it would be very unnatural for him - I'm okay with Hutton, Bacuna is a passable right back at this level...just, Richards could play there but I don't like him - Lyden would be the natural choice if you don't like those three I think - at a push I'd rather try Gardner there than Okore. 

Sanchez is very good at breaking up play - but sadly he's now got about three colossal mistakes a games in him - for me he's too much of a liability regardless of his good points.

Re: Okore. He was covering quite wide in his masterclass against Chelsea which makes me think he'd be fine at RB

2 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

Gollini

Hutton - Elphick - Okore - Amavi

Tshibola - Sanchez - Gardner

Grealish

McCormack - Ayew

Sanchez and Hutton need replacing but I like the rest although I worry how narrow that formation is. 

No way Amavi starts, we need to be careful and ease him in. Could be useful and exploit tired legs/minds to nick a consolation goal in the last 15mins. 

Sanchez should be no where near the side. Him and Hutton should be given crayons and a coloring in set while the game goes on.

Gollini

Okore Elphick Baker

Lyden                    Amavi/Bennet

Tshibola

Ayew         Gardner      Grealish

McGoals (if we get him)

reasoning

Gooooooooool because we no longer have a Goooooooooose

no recognised RB and with Amavi not 100% match fit or Bennet as possible LB we need more bodies covering them so 3 at the back for me. This also avoids a back 2 of being unbalanced (Okore or Elphick as CBL)

This gives us a back 5 defending and wing backs adding numbers to our midfield and/or pushing on in attacks.

With Tshibola as DM our midfield 3 dont have to be so spread with wing backs helping flood the midfield.

We'll have McGoal as the focal point of attack with plenty of support from mainly Ayew and Grealish while Gardner pulls a few strings.

So plenty of bodies back and condensed when defending, not being outnumbered/dominated in midfield, with a chance of getting on the attack.

I still think we'll lose :-/

Here is my guess for the line up:

-----------------Gollini--------------------
Hutton---Elphick---Baker---Cissoko
--------Westwood---Gardner-----------
Bacuna---------Ayew----------Grealish
-----------------Gestede-------------------

It's hardly going to give Sheffield Wednesday sleepless nights or excite anyone on here but it is the logical line up.

I can't see Amavi being fit enough to start this one.  McCormack (assuming he signs) most likely wont start 4 days after signing - perhaps a cameo from the bench.  As much as I'd love to see Tshibola start I think he will have to work his way into the squad.

With another 3 games in the following 10 days (especially the EFL Cup game against Luton on Wednesday) there is plenty of time for Lyden, Okore, Green, Bennett, Tshibola and Hepburn-Murphy to get game time over the coming weeks. 

As galling as it would be to see us smacked again on live TV in our first game in the Championship, I'd rather that than a win and the subsequent false sense of security in a strange way. The season won't be defined by this one game, but may well be by the aftermath and signings we make.

I think McCormack will slot straight into the starting XI at the expense of Gestede, but don't expect many more changes from the Boro starting XI

I think we'll line up as follows (not my choice, but what I believe RDM will pick)

.................Gollini

Hutton.Elphick.Baker.Cissokho

.....Westwood.Gardner

Bacuna.....Ayew.....Grealish

.........McCormack

Subs: Bunn, Okore, Bennett, Tshibola, Sanchez, Green, Gestede

I expect a tight game - heart says 0-1 but head says 1-1 (McCormack with a debut belter)

If there's no Amavi yet I'm expecting this:

Gollini

Hutton - Elphick - Baker - Cissokho

Tshibola - Westwood

Ayew - McCormack - Grealish

Gestede

Subs: Steer, Okore, Bennett, Bacuna, Gardner, Green, H-Murphy

I'd personally give Gardner the nod over Westwood.

Edited by VILLAMARV