The VT "It's the weekend!" thread

Xela

13 minutes ago, Rodders said:

But **** me this country is expensive.

Why do you think every Premier League match has a contingent of absolutely smashed up Scandis? They come here to drink for 48 hours, get smashed and find they've only spent the price of  a packet of frozen peas from the supermarket all weekend

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Got into work an hour early to leave an hour early. By the time I leave the traffic is still moderately light and the missus is on a train to London for the weekend. Nip in to Sainsburys on the way home to grab my tea and a bottle of red

The weekend was looking rosy at this time, I even swapped my car today for a cleaner less buggered model as the head gasket went on the other one this morning which means the cleaning chore I was going to have to do tomorrow was wiped out.

I get home... No F***ing keys! (and dont forget the missus is half way to London!)

There are three possibilities

1. I've somehow left them in work even though none of the keys are work related
  2. I've left them in the old car, garage is shut but I might be able to pay a £25 call out fee if they have to come out.
  3. I've dropped them somewhere else in which case I'm buggered completely

Drove back to work via the garage (it was shut - no one working late). Go into my office, not on my desk...

Then I spot them wedged down the crack at the back of my chair. Bit of a relief but the two extra journeys in rush hour traffic has really peed me off. But I guess I can only blame myself... so here's to a good rest of the weekend. Might go and see the Blue Orchids tomorrow to make up for tonights tomfoolery

I'm sure this will cheer @BOF up!

Have a great weekend!

Nah that's too far. You may be a festering cocksocket but I don't want your weekend ruined :thumb::D

• Haha 1

Last night I played basketball for six hours with friends, some of the best Australia has to offer (basketballers, not friends).

Today I will venture to the dementia ward and bring my Yiayia home for the morning and some brunch, I will undoubtedly be greeted by a Greek poem that's about my beard.

Then later this afternoon I will train with NBL champion Brett Rainbow in preparation for my upcoming tournament and I guess just general skill-set.

Sunday I am meeting a woman for our 2nd date.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2019 at 19:37, bickster said:

Too close to Runcorn for comfort

I was meant to be in Runcorn tomorrow at the Runcorn Linnets game but change of plan now! 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was meant to be in Runcorn tomorrow at the Runcorn Linnets game but change of plan now! 

I just looked up who they were playing. WWWWhhhhhyyyyyy?

EDIT: I just looked up where the ground is... Murdishaw, christ its grim round there

• 1 month later...

Chilling tonight listening to some tunes

Whitby tomorrow.... looking forward to it. 

Nothing on Sunday bar the usual food shop and the NFL

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Chilling tonight listening to some tunes

Whitby tomorrow.... looking forward to it. 

Nothing on Sunday bar the usual food shop and the NFL

Detailed report on Whitby please. Never been there, might be part of a road trip in the summer...

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Detailed report on Whitby please. Never been there, might be part of a road trip in the summer...

Whitby is lovely.  I wouldn't recommend spending more than a day / few days there mind as it is quite small and you could walk all of the streets and visit the Abbey in a day.  That whole area (Robin Hoods Bay, Goathland, Staithes etc) is a lovely part of the world.  

• Like 2

I'm attempting to sort out a holiday break away (for August) this weekend.  I think I've talked friends into looking at places and booking time off work.  It will be my 40th so I need to do something.  

I'm thinking Malta. 

1 hour ago, trekka said:

I'm attempting to sort out a holiday break away (for August) this weekend.  I think I've talked friends into looking at places and booking time off work.  It will be my 40th so I need to do something.  

I'm thinking Malta. 

Malta in August will be hot and crowded. But it’s also whatever you want it to be. If you’re after foam parties and late night lager and chips, if you want some quiet and culture, scuba diving in crystal clear sea, or if you just like walking down the marina wondering why there are so many dead cats and rabbits in the water, Malta has it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually forgot that I am seeing a mortgage adviser today. I last moved house in 2005 and swore I would never move again. Seems I am now ready. Nothing drastic just a different part of Stafford. 

On 17/01/2020 at 22:46, chrisp65 said:

Lovely place. Was only in the town for about 3 hours as we were going to the Whitby Town FC game and heading back straight afterwards but I saw enough in my time there to form a very positive impression of it. Small cobbled streets down by the harbour, lovely old pubs tucked away in the narrow alleys serving locally brewed ales, a walk along the pier, sitting on a bench looking wistfully out at the ocean reflecting on life choices while the bracing ocean air battered my hirsute face, fresh fish and chips and avoiding seagulls built like outside lavatories. 

On reflection should have stayed the night and sampled a few more ales before spending today walking up to the abbey and at the Captain Cook museum, perhaps with a trip to Robin Hood's Bay thrown in. Alas, perhaps another time. 

It was busy, not rammed, but enough foot traffic on a cold Saturday in January to think it should probably be avoided on a sunny bank holiday, as evidenced below last Easter...

Spoiler

0_KDR__MGA_220419mgawhitby_01.jpg

5_KDR__MGA_220419mgawhitby_02.jpg

I always enjoy the seaside as it is still very much a novelty for me. Living in Brum all my life, I don't see it for years on end, so its always magical for me to look out at the sea. Has a calming effect on me that is difficult to put into words. 

Overall, 9/10 WB (but only in low season)

Edited by Xela
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Overall, 9/10 WB (but only in low season)

That’s a good point about low season. If we go it will likely be very highest season!

It’s a similar but not so extreme thing here with crowds. Even today, it’s a sunny Sunday afternoon in January and I can see and hear all the roads filling with cars trying to park as absolutey close to the coast as they can. You could walk to the beach in 10 / 15 minutes from my house, having street parked for free, but people will happily sit in their cars for the best part of an hour to find a parking space that’s 3 minutes from the beach and cost £6. It’s going to be rammed over their now.

They’ll all be on twitter later, complaining about crowds, traffic jams and the cost of parking.

We went over 8:00am yesterday for a slightly bracing walk, with scrunchy ice underfoot right up to the pebbles, but with only half a dozen other people around.

Going to have to have a proper plan for Whitby. Which we can now, kids are of an age where we can ditch them and do our own weekend. Cheers.

• Like 1

WFH today so just had a lazy evening. Listening to songs on Youtube

Possibility of a non league game tomorrow... just awaiting to hear back from a mate. In Buxton. Nice place, been to the town once before with an ex, but as it was in the those early stages of the relationship, we didn't see much outside the hotel room. 

Food shopping on Sunday then off to see my folks later in the day. 

Up early to catch one of those new fangled locomotives to the big city down south.

Off to see the daughter but I have been given time on my own (so I don't moan like shit about going round shops all day)

I shall go round my own shops, the ones that sell vinyl. The missus doesn't know I have as much of a stash of cash as I do, so my shoulder might ache by tea time, good job she doesn't really know the price of records these days too (or isn't very good at realising that bag doesn't contain "just a couple of albums")

We shall then meet up mid afternoon for some sustenance of an indian variety, then get the locomotive back

• Like 1

Â