The VT "It's the weekend!" thread

Xela

Going to Oban for the weekend with a mate. Leaving at 07:15 tomorrow morning, hope I can sleep on the train. Got a few whiskey tasting sessions booked up. Just looking forward to getting away from Kings Heath for 3 days.

• Like 2

Got a session today with a bodybuilder followed up by a trip to the museum and some basketball with friends after that.

Saturday, I go to watch my AFL team play in the first round of finals, we won it all back in 2016, and this years looking good again, will do that with my old man.

Saturday night, I have what's probably the biggest game of my basketball career to date, if anybody's looking to sign me up next season, they'll be watching.

Sunday morning I'll watch Crystal Palace get a pummeling from the mighty Villa.

Later on Sunday afternoon I'll play first round elimination finals for another basketball competition I'm involved in (advanced domestic league).

Good times.

A little bit of local record shop browsing tomorrow, with nothing specific in mind.

Which probably means I’ll get sussed out in 2 minutes flat and sold something they’ve struggled to shift. 😀

• 2 weeks later...

3 oclock shutting down the laptop and spending the weekend in my van on the outskirts of Lichfield. A campsite I love with a short walk to a great pub. I need this before a visit from the casually racist parent next weekend.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2019 at 23:37, Ingram85 said:

Oban is a strange place. It's like a black country town on the coast. Will explore it more tomorrow.

worth the trip?

im in the region next week, my problem is IMO you have to drive the A82 and im coming from the north so I miss the turn but I was also planning on going to invarary which I've done before so oban might be a good alternative 

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm captaining a ship tomorrow, alongside @Rob182 and @Paddywhack + wags + children. 

Much Bigger GIF - Jaws Action Suspense GIFs

WAGs = wives and girlfriends...but we’re all married. So unless you’d planned on bringing a girlfriend along too, due to this horrendous mistake I suggest you step down as captain, a post in which I don’t believe you were ever actually honoured with in the first place.

Now that I am captain, I order you to walk the plank.

10 hours ago, Seat68 said:

3 oclock shutting down the laptop and spending the weekend in my van on the outskirts of Lichfield. A campsite I love with a short walk to a great pub. I need this before a visit from the casually racist parent next weekend.

Which pub? My family live near Lichfield (Whittington)

I have no facts or statistics to back this up but i reckon Lichfield has the highest percentage of mobility scooters and walking sticks per capita in the UK. 

The PIP bill must be huge. 

I have my quarter final tonight for basketball.

Will spectate a basketball tournament that a few dozen friends are playing in prior to my game.

Tomorrow last game of the futsal season, 3rd place final, apparently it's a bit of a nothing match.

To that I say you silly Billies, if it's a "nothing match" then stay at home, I want every moment on court to have a purpose and challenge.

And then I will come home and hopefully have the discipline to get some homework out of the way, for both the clinic where I work and my university stuff.

The thing I love most about weekends is kicking back and relaxing after a week on the road.

Oh, and getting up at 5:30am to be first in the bathroom so we can all go and have a look at Aberystwyth University with the nipper.

**** love that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The Plough at Huddlesford. Great place, tying into what @Xela says, usually overrun with people who struggle to remember the first time they saw a pineapple. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, villa4europe said:

worth the trip?

im in the region next week, my problem is IMO you have to drive the A82 and im coming from the north so I miss the turn but I was also planning on going to invarary which I've done before so oban might be a good alternative 

I'd say so for the fresh seafood, whiskeys and scenery but it's not quaint or picturesque like Glen Coe or a bit further up, its very much a rough and ready typical working harbour town and busy ferry port but the views of the hills and islands mixed in with the working side of it is great. You can do Oban itself in a day or less tbh though as theres not much to it unless your going to visit the islands or go for treks.

I wouldn't go back specifically unless it was part of a trip that incorporates walks, boat trips, tours and seafood/whiskey etc... as it's a hell of a long way to go even by train for not a load of things to do if that makes sense. I'm not trying to knock it, it's worth a visit I'd say but it's not amazing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

The thing I love most about weekends is kicking back and relaxing after a week on the road.

Oh, and getting up at 5:30am to be first in the bathroom so we can all go and have a look at Aberystwyth University with the nipper.

**** love that.

Had a few good nights there with the students . 

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

We once broke down outside The Whittington pub. The AA said they would be two hours for some reason. It’s fair to say none of us were walking straight when we came out .

• Haha 1

Â